PDA

View Full Version : The building of the morning Pre-Workout Shake

MagnaSephiroth
07-14-2006, 12:34 AM
My current kcal intake really only allows me to drink 1 protein shake a day (unless I didn't want solid foods) cause my maintenence is a measly 1600. I am trying now, until my kcal count gets higher, to drink a protein shake in for breakfast (with some solid food) before my workout. I tried it with water...gross. Just milk...gross, Even had it with milk and peanut butter, and it still was hard to down. Here is what the mix looks like.

Pro-Rateo
Bavarian Chocolate
Kcals per scoop: 138
Total Fat: 1.5g
-Sat: 1g
Cholesterol: 42mg
Potassium: 100mg
Total Carbs: 4g
Protein: 27g

Obviously I'm gonna have milk, but what should I put in it (I want to keep it relatively low kcal (IE, I dont want it to be like 1000 kcals or anything)

Would a banana be a good choice?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Are you gaining weight at all? And if your shake is nasty, try Nitrean or Muscle Milk.

MagnaSephiroth
07-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Are you gaining weight at all?

I weight myself every Monday morning. According to that, when I was at 1600 kcals a day, I weighed the same at the beginning and the end of the week, 157. Before that at 1400, I lost weight, I actually lost about 4-5 pounds (taken on a different scale and was also my first week on a routine) I will see this monday though, since I have been at 1800 clean all week thus far, if I am truely above maintenence.

So should I throw a banana in? (or are bananas too sugary :( )

Edit: Yeah, eventually I will get new stuff, but I'm gonna have to use this stuff first. Taste is nice, but not required.

McIrish
07-14-2006, 08:49 AM
I weight myself every Monday morning. According to that, when I was at 1600 kcals a day, I weighed the same at the beginning and the end of the week, 157. Before that at 1400, I lost weight, I actually lost about 4-5 pounds (taken on a different scale and was also my first week on a routine) I will see this monday though, since I have been at 1800 clean all week thus far, if I am truely above maintenence.

So should I throw a banana in? (or are bananas too sugary :( )

Edit: Yeah, eventually I will get new stuff, but I'm gonna have to use this stuff first. Taste is nice, but not required.

Wow, Seph, I way the same as you (157ish at 5'10) and my maintenance calories are almost double what yours are?? I find that hard to believe - I maintain somewhere in the vicinity of 2800, so I still don't see how you can maintain around 1600 unless you're *completely* sedentary (and even then, that would be a stretch).

That being said, some constructive advice - put a frozen banana in with your chocolate protein powder and some milk. Blend it up til it's creamy and smooth. If you like, add peanut butter (1 tbsp is <100 cals).

ShockBoxer
07-14-2006, 10:07 AM
I am 159 (when completely dehydrated) and maintenance for me is somewhere between 22 and 2400. I'm six inches shorter, though.

Maintain on 2800?! I BULKED on 2800.

Built
07-14-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm a middle-aged chick, and MY maintenance cals, at 140 lbs, are about 2300.

<scratches head>

ShockBoxer
07-14-2006, 10:39 AM
You are likely far more active in the course of a day than I am. 'Sitting on ass' could be entered in my fitday for every hour I'm not at the gym, on the bus, or asleep.

TheGimp
07-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Is it really so hard to believe that people have slow metabolisms? Give Magna some credit, he's determined his maintenance, not pulled the number out of his arse.

ShockBoxer
07-14-2006, 12:09 PM
His wallet will thank him for his low caloric needs come bulking time. :nod:

MagnaSephiroth
07-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I really hope I measured wrong, cause 1600 maintenence seems very low to me too. Again, the reason I am writing 1600 as my maintenence is because my weight remained the same after a week. I measured my weight today, and I am still 157 and I have been eating 1800 since monday. Maybe my body adjusts or something?

On the topic of Shakes, the shake with the banana didn't taste great, but it wasn't like terrible. It was very downable.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Maybe my body adjusts or something?Or you haven't found the calorie level which will make you gain weight yet.

TheGimp
07-15-2006, 01:37 AM
Or you haven't found the calorie level which will make you gain weight yet.

:withstupi

Maintenace can be a range rather than a specific value.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-15-2006, 01:48 AM
^^

Exactly. It's a "range". And when you're on a bulk, trying to reach your calorie intake by the exact tiny little calorie is a bit too nitpicky. I mean...I know you're doing a slow bulk, but if you go over your intake a little, it really isn't a big deal. You are trying to gain weight, after all. The calorie level is just to show you that you need to be eating AT LEAST that much to gain weight. And since you haven't found that level yet...KEEP EATING MORE. And stop worrying about maintenance so much. You need to pack on a good foundation of muscle first. Then you can start worrying about "maintaining".

MagnaSephiroth
07-15-2006, 01:40 PM
^^

Exactly. It's a "range". And when you're on a bulk, trying to reach your calorie intake by the exact tiny little calorie is a bit too nitpicky. I mean...I know you're doing a slow bulk, but if you go over your intake a little, it really isn't a big deal. You are trying to gain weight, after all. The calorie level is just to show you that you need to be eating AT LEAST that much to gain weight. And since you haven't found that level yet...KEEP EATING MORE. And stop worrying about maintenance so much. You need to pack on a good foundation of muscle first. Then you can start worrying about "maintaining".

Alright thanks :) Hopefully after I up to 2000 kcals on monday, I will see some changes on the scale, then further then when I hit 2200.

On a side note as to why maintenence is a range, is I am somewhat inconsistant on my bowel movements. Not everyday, sometimes I go 3 days before performing number 2. Since the increase to 1800, bowel movements have been more frequent. I would say my body is finially starting to take what it needs from my food cause it no longer fears a scarcity in the amount I eat. So, now that I think about it, I think my range for maintenence is 1600-2000, becasue I'm determining this on my frequency of craps...wow this sounds weird, but I think it has some truth lol, does this sound too obscure?

Paladyr
07-19-2006, 11:20 AM
My current kcal intake really only allows me to drink 1 protein shake a day (unless I didn't want solid foods) cause my maintenence is a measly 1600. I am trying now, until my kcal count gets higher, to drink a protein shake in for breakfast (with some solid food) before my workout. I tried it with water...gross. Just milk...gross, Even had it with milk and peanut butter, and it still was hard to down. Here is what the mix looks like.

Pro-Rateo
Bavarian Chocolate
Kcals per scoop: 138
Total Fat: 1.5g
-Sat: 1g
Cholesterol: 42mg
Potassium: 100mg
Total Carbs: 4g
Protein: 27g

Obviously I'm gonna have milk, but what should I put in it (I want to keep it relatively low kcal (IE, I dont want it to be like 1000 kcals or anything)

Would a banana be a good choice?

I'm pretty close to you, 167 @ about 11-12% bf, and when I was dieting I got down to about 1500 calories and then stopped losing weight (and was hungry a lot of the time). Now that I'm bulking, I'm eating 2200 calories and after a week have only gained about 1/2 lb (if that).

My point is, I think you might be going too low on calories, like I did. Basically my metabolism slowed down b/c my body thought I was starving to death. Instead, keep the calories at like 1700-1800 or so and just do more cardio or lifting.

Just a suggestion based on my own experiences (I'm still learning). If you don't feel lethargic or anything then you are probably okay.

MagnaSephiroth
07-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for all the maintenence tips, and I'm sure I will start gaining weight soon.

Back on the subject of shake, I have just started to have a normal scoop in water right before my workout, then right after a scoop in milk with a banana. Why no milk in the first one? Insulin, milk has sugar and carbs. Want to keep insulin as low as possible before working out.

Built
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Banana post workout isn't ideal - dextrose would be, with water and whey. Trivial, though - it's not a huge big deal.

Pre, the banana is fine, so is the milk. Why wouldn't you want insulin?

RedSpikeyThing
07-19-2006, 04:19 PM
If you're eating only ~2000 cals a day, why do you NEED a shake? It won't be that much food and it will help you stretch your stomach for more food later.

On a side note, I am 5'8", 155 lbs. I maintain on about 2800 - 3000 cals. My maintenance has sky rocketed since I started bulking, though. I was gaining on 2200 originally.

John04Civic
07-19-2006, 07:34 PM
^^

This is pretty much my mindset now.. Until I hit 210 lbs :)

MagnaSephiroth
07-19-2006, 10:40 PM
If you're eating only ~2000 cals a day, why do you NEED a shake? It won't be that much food and it will help you stretch your stomach for more food later.

On a side note, I am 5'8", 155 lbs. I maintain on about 2800 - 3000 cals. My maintenance has sky rocketed since I started bulking, though. I was gaining on 2200 originally.

I only drink a protein shake on workout days, because its a lot better for the time release protein to really take advantage of that pre-workout window.

And to answer why I don't want insulin before a workout is because when insulin rises in the body, it shuts off the fat burning procedure, and enzymes in the stomach.

Built
07-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Why do you care about burning fat during a workout? That's not what it's for! Enzymes in the stomach?

Insulin blunts cortisol. The stuff that chews through muscle.

It's also a storage hormone for the carbohydrate your muscles are gonna need.

Paladyr
07-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Who knows what the original topic was anymore??? Seems to be a theme around here :-p.

Anyway I just started doing the pre-workout shake thing and I mixed:

2 cups milk
1 scoop ON whey
1 serving of a creatine + sugar mix (32g of carbs i think)

I felt absolutely fantastic during the workout and felt like I could keep going at the end. I drank 1/2 of the shake an hour before, and half after.

My .02

RedSpikeyThing
07-20-2006, 03:36 PM
I only drink a protein shake on workout days, because its a lot better for the time release protein to really take advantage of that pre-workout window.

And to answer why I don't want insulin before a workout is because when insulin rises in the body, it shuts off the fat burning procedure, and enzymes in the stomach.

You are way overthinking this. Eat a meal, go to the gym, eat some more when you come back. You are new, so start with the absoloute basics and get the nit picky stuff down later.

MagnaSephiroth
07-21-2006, 04:51 PM
You are way overthinking this. Eat a meal, go to the gym, eat some more when you come back. You are new, so start with the absoloute basics and get the nit picky stuff down later.

Thanks, because this no sugar/carb before really tasted gross and is not a good way to start the day :(

Note to self... oranges do NOT taste good in a protein shake. I could only drink half of it ugh.

powerrack
07-21-2006, 05:17 PM

I agree with RedSpikeyThing. You think way too much about these things. At this time set your mind to think good whole basic foods are good, meat,milk,rice,oats,fruits,veggies,etc. You just need to eat hard, train hard.

Serioussly what's up with this exact cal breakdown bull**** stuff? Let me tell you it's not doing anything for you but wasting time. Stop this ****, tell me you ate some eggs, then some tuna sandwhiches, you lifted some weights, had a shake, ate some more wholesome food.

Sure measure cals,nutrients has it place, but I do not think you need it right now. Basically if you start gaining weight and you start putting on fat too fast, start eating less, if you feel your gaining too much, start eating more.