PDA

View Full Version : My brief question

god008
07-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I don't understand why bodybuilders tend to eat 5-6 meals a day. I asked my mom and shes like I can't be bothered to cook that often. I usually go by breakfast, lunch, tea time then dinner. But in the summer, I wake up at 10 or 11 sometime so I sometimes skip breakfast in all. I don't know if that's a good idea.

Also, I've been browsing the threads trying to learn stuff. What's with protein shakes, do you have that over real food or something? Is it beneficial, I may consider doing that if it helps.

Aqualoo
07-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Every type of tissue in the body, including bones, skin, muscles, and organs, has its own set of proteins that help it perform its characteristic functions. Proteins help give structure to our cells and are important in cell growth, repair, and maintenance. Like carbohydrates and fats, they can also serve as an energy source.

Bodybuilders typically eat 5-6 meals for energy and bulking or to mantain a desired weight.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-14-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't understand why bodybuilders tend to eat 5-6 meals a day. I asked my mom and shes like I can't be bothered to cook that often. I usually go by breakfast, lunch, tea time then dinner. But in the summer, I wake up at 10 or 11 sometime so I sometimes skip breakfast in all. I don't know if that's a good idea.Think about it...if you eat 3 times a day...add that to a pre and post workout shake or meal and a bedtime meal and you get 5-6 "meals" a day.

I wake up at 10 or 11 sometime so I sometimes skip breakfast in all. I don't know if that's a good idea. After 8 hours or so of fasting in a catabolic state, breakfast is an important meal.

What's with protein shakes, do you have that over real food or something? Is it beneficial, I may consider doing that if it helps.Protein is protein. And no, shakes shouldn't replace all of your meals, but they can help you meet your daily protein requirements. They're a convenience and they do help if you're finding it hard to get in enough protein during the day.

god008
07-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the input, yeah I hear protein shakes help you lose weight or slim fast anyway. I'll see if I can get that stuff. =)

cphafner
07-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Read the stickies, your answer are all in there.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the input, yeah I hear protein shakes help you lose weight or slim fast anyway. I'll see if I can get that stuff. =)Neither of those help you lose weight. A caloric deficit helps you lose weight.

MagnaSephiroth
07-15-2006, 02:29 PM
You dont need to COOK 5-6 meals a day.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-15-2006, 02:34 PM
I consider making a sandwich "cooking". ;)

MagnaSephiroth
07-15-2006, 03:39 PM
I consider making a sandwich "cooking". ;)

Hehe, sandwichs are awesome :D

OP, have you suggested to your mom that she makes extra food so all you need to do is zap it later?

god008
07-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Awww yea, I eat sandwiches, well you know what I mean. She's so old fashioned.

powerrack
07-15-2006, 11:54 PM
How old are you? Start doing things yourself. On top of the three meals fix yourself a tuna sandwhich, maybe some cottage cheese. It should workout ok, grab some natty peanut butter too.

Turnip
07-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Eating raw almonds is a good idea getfit suggested, anyways I believe the reason people eat 5-6 meals a day is because if you eat like 2 meals a day each meal would be like 2500 calories, and few people can gorge themselves that much. I think theres some myth that eating 5-6 meals a day stores less fat but I think someone on this board posted that it has been proven wrong.

Breakfast I believe does get stored as less fat due to insulin levels being lower and is therefore an important meal, anyone know whether these things are myths or not?

god008
07-16-2006, 04:06 PM
tuna sandwich? i usually just make a sandwich with ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, mayo and a bit of butter on toasted bread =( so deluxe

raw almonds? i eat nuts every now and then especially cashews =) almonds i dont know i just dont like eating raw nuts. i usually eat the ones packaged like planters

Optimum08
07-16-2006, 04:46 PM
roasted nuts taste better, but the roasting process diminishes a lot of the phytonutrients in the nuts because of the high heat of the roasting. basically, if you want to get the most out of nuts, eat them raw.