PDA

View Full Version : Sandbags training - where to find them?

Bruise Brubaker
07-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Where do you find such sandbags that are solid enough?

laxguy1028
07-15-2006, 07:08 PM
You make your own

JustLost
07-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Buy a canvas dufflebag. Military surplus stores usually have these; I foundmine at a thrift store for $2.

Go to Lowes, Home Depot or similar and buy a few bags of sand. It's near the Quikcrete and all that stuff, in 50 and 70 pound bags. There are two main kinds "all purpose sand" and "play sand". Either one is fine. Don't get "sand mix"; that's partly cement.

While you're there, get a packageof "Contractor Trash Bags". These are big heavy duty trash bags, very thick.

Now, you have two choices. You can make a big, non-adjustable sandbag by lining the duffel bag with a trashbag, pouring in 100-200 pounds of sand, and sealing the trashbag shut with duct tape, OR you can make mini-sandbags of whatever weight you want, so that you can load the sandbag to whatever weight you like. I've used both methods, and have come to like the "one big sandbag" approach.

More ideas:

http://www.workingclassfitness.com/sandbagconstruction.shtml

http://www.warriorforce.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

MixmasterNash
07-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I also recommend against the adjustable bag. Sand is so cheap that you can just make a bunch of them. Also good for group workouts.

Bruise Brubaker
07-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Thank you!

Bob
07-17-2006, 09:16 AM
You can use what the professionals use:
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1390
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1390-A
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1390-B

Ironmind makes great stuff.. highly endorse them..
Although I also bought my sandbad supplies @ Home Depot :-)

Anthony
07-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I have 130lbs divided into 5 smaller bags that I throw into an army duffle bag. It works really well.

Hazerboy
07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
I tried the one approach of making a whole bunch of "mini" sandbags that where only 3 lbs or so each. Thinking about it now, its kind of stupid. I wouldn't want to adjust the weight by more than 25 lbs anyways, as you're not using them like a regular weight set. I'm probably going to make another one with just a couple 25 or 50 lb bags thrown into it.

Bob
07-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Hey Anthony (or anyone).. on that Army Dufflebag... can you wear that like a backpack? I'm looking for something to wear like a backpack, but will hold a 100 lbs or more of sandbags... and then do some hills around my house (15 minutes away).. then when I go regular backpacking/hiking with the family, the 45-55 lbs back I have with gear will seem really light.

Plus, this has got to be a really great GPP exercise...
If I had a log, I would use that.. like that kid in that 80's HS Wrestling movie..

Anthony
07-18-2006, 06:06 AM
I couldn't wear mine like a backpack, but you might be able to find something in a surplus store that would do the trick.

JustLost
07-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Hey Anthony (or anyone).. on that Army Dufflebag... can you wear that like a backpack? I'm looking for something to wear like a backpack, but will hold a 100 lbs or more of sandbags... and then do some hills around my house (15 minutes away).. then when I go regular backpacking/hiking with the family, the 45-55 lbs back I have with gear will seem really light.

Plus, this has got to be a really great GPP exercise...
If I had a log, I would use that.. like that kid in that 80's HS Wrestling movie..

Some of the duffle bags have straps for a backpack style carry, but the balance would be all wrong for that much weight. It would be a great way to screw up your back.

You could just stick a few plates in a regular backpack. If your usual backpack isn't strong enough, the old GI ALICE pack will hold 100+ pounds no problem. A 50 pound sandbag fills up the medium ALICE pretty much, but the large packmight hold as much as 100 pounds.

Hazerboy
07-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Why not just bear hug the bag or carry it on one shoulder? You'd condition your legs the same, and it would still seem way easier when you actually try and backpack.

The guys name was "the shoot" or "the goot" or something wierd like that. The movie is Vision Quest. 8-)

Bob
07-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys..

Some of the duffle bags have straps for a backpack style carry, but the balance would be all wrong for that much weight. It would be a great way to screw up your back.

You could just stick a few plates in a regular backpack. If your usual backpack isn't strong enough, the old GI ALICE pack will hold 100+ pounds no problem. A 50 pound sandbag fills up the medium ALICE pretty much, but the large packmight hold as much as 100 pounds.
JustLost.. you think they have those type of ALICE packs in an Army Navy store? I found some online.. looks like the large would run somewhere US$90.

JustLost
07-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys..

JustLost.. you think they have those type of ALICE packs in an Army Navy store? I found some online.. looks like the large would run somewhere US$90.

I've seen them in the ones around here; new ones for maybe $80, used ones for less, depending on condition. I like the ALICE because the steel frame is mega-strong. You might get lucky and find one really cheap at a garage sale or something.

MixmasterNash
07-18-2006, 07:27 PM
You can get a high end internal frame pack from Sierra Trading Post for $90 if you're really dying for a backpack.

Bob
07-18-2006, 08:42 PM
You can get a high end internal frame pack from Sierra Trading Post for $90 if you're really dying for a backpack.
Thanks MMN.. I've got a real highend backpack.. but the label states loads up to 80 lbs.. and it's got a number of pockets, etc.. that I don't think themselves are really built for a big sandbag.. I would have to have a bunch of smaller ones..

I was thinking of the ideas expressed above.. where I had a few 50lb or 70lbs bag stuff into a backpack..

MixmasterNash
07-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Another good solution for dead weight is to carry a friend.

Anthony
07-19-2006, 05:37 AM
Another good solution for weight is to carry a dead friend.

:scratch:

JustLost
07-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Why not just bear hug the bag or carry it on one shoulder? You'd condition your legs the same, and it would still seem way easier when you actually try and backpack.

True, but an actual backpack has more specificity to,er, an actual backpack. ;)

I go the bearhug and shoulder carries (and other stuff) with my main sandbag. Used to stuff a 50-pounder in the backpack now and then, too, for the specicifc balance/stabiliser strength.

Another good solution for dead weight is to carry a friend.

or an enemy.

Goodwinm
07-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Damn this method of training is so much cheaper than buying iron! lol. thanks for the suggestions everyone!
bearwolf. Thos sandbags at ironmind look amazing. hold over 100lbs of sand.

Another thing you could do is work out with compost bags (unopened) they go up to 175+ litres.
I was carrying one the other week and damn it was heavy! lol

JustLost
07-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Another thing you could do is work out with compost bags (unopened) they go up to 175+ litres.
I was carrying one the other week and damn it was heavy! lol

Indeed.

Anything heavy can be used. ;)

My "gym" includes:

logs of various sizes
two pieces of limestone, 100 pounds & 170 pounds
two sections of concrete slab (never weighed them) scrounged from a demolition site

and other junk in addition to more normal gear that I've bought and made.

It's all just ballast.

offhegoes03
07-19-2006, 06:39 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, but I wanted to ask some questions about lifting the sandbags. Is there a good way to do it so that you don't hurt your back/make yourself prone to getting a hernia? Obviously you'll want to lift with your legs, but are there any specific techniques so that you don't get hurt?

Goodwinm
07-19-2006, 06:43 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, but I wanted to ask some questions about lifting the sandbags. Is there a good way to do it so that you don't hurt your back/make yourself prone to getting a hernia? Obviously you'll want to lift with your legs, but are there any specific techniques so that you don't get hurt?
pretty much same tech as a clean or hang clean.
but having a very strong grip on the bag is essential. (dont want that falling on you or faling on your feeT) lol

JustLost
07-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Tons of sandbag articles:

http://sandbagexercises.ifsstrength.com/speaking.html

offhegoes03
07-20-2006, 11:06 AM
thanks man, that stuff looks really cool.. I guess I'll have to make a trip to the store to start picking up supplies. This looks like it could be fun and tiring.

LouPac
08-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Awesome info here, I just bought a huge army bag and am going to pay the local home depot a visit to pick up some garbage bags and sand.:strong:

offhegoes03
08-22-2006, 09:23 AM
yeah, I just got all the stuff I needed and I'll be starting training with them on thursday.

FortifiedIron
09-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Tons of sandbag articles:

http://sandbagexercises.ifsstrength.com/speaking.html

Great link.

Kc

Sensei
01-01-2007, 04:25 PM
I used to train w. a duffel filled w. tubes of sand - worked very well. I just bought the sandbag set from Ironmind and I'm looking forward to starting up w. them again!

Stumprrp
01-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik has a ton of sandbag stuff, he praises it! im going to be getting some to do on my kettlebell days.

crazedwombat
01-05-2007, 06:31 AM
I learned a bit back and still use on occasion. 50lb sandbag, ceran wrap, burlap (you can get at lowes or home depot where you'd get the sandbags) and duct tape.

Wrap the sandbag in ceran wrap, then wrap the burlap around it and then ducttape...

However I dont use burlap, I use a ton of ceran wrap and duct tape and that works just fine. if you dont go with burlap then just make sure nothing pierces the bag.

vdizenzo
01-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I wonder how much those army surplus duffles can hold? It would be nice to load them up and use them for farmer walks also. I am going to incorporate sandbag training into my new regimine. I am only going to train with weights twice a week. I will spend another 3-4 days a week on GPP. It's not that I hate training. I just hate leaving my house.

FortifiedIron
01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Vinny,
They work well.

Here is a memeber of my site loading a 200lb bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssed9RYUVME

Kc

vdizenzo
01-15-2007, 01:43 AM
Vinny,
They work well.

Here is a memeber of my site loading a 200lb bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssed9RYUVME

Kc

Great vid. Strong lift.

I just ordered two surplus duffle bags. Looks like I'm off to Home Depot when they get in.

FortifiedIron
01-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Great vid. Strong lift.

I just ordered two surplus duffle bags. Looks like I'm off to Home Depot when they get in.

Awsome..good luck.

Did you get the bags with extra handles? They actually come in handy when doing a variety of exercises.

Kc

canadianbuilder
01-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Awsome..good luck.

Did you get the bags with extra handles? They actually come in handy when doing a variety of exercises.

Kc

Where do you find the bags with the extra handles?

FortifiedIron
01-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Where do you find the bags with the extra handles?

http://www.armynavyshop.com/12-bags-army-navy.html

Kc

Stumprrp
01-18-2007, 08:10 PM
200lb bags are sick, especially mine since it moves all over, took me forever to get it to shoulder.

canadianbuilder
01-18-2007, 09:49 PM
http://www.armynavyshop.com/12-bags-army-navy.html

Kc

I assume they are the black ones for approx. 11.00?
Thanks for the link!

vdizenzo
01-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I got the Korean surplus packs (green). I loaded them up with 100lbs each and was able to rig dumble handles in there for farmers walk. It was harder than I anticipated. I also lifted and pressed one overhead. I am going to get some great extra work with these. The possiblities are endless.

vdizenzo
01-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Did the farmers walk today. I only made it halfway around the house and stopped like a bitch. Took a break and then made the rest of the trip. The handles were turned in a bit so it was awkward. I swear it feels a lot heavier than 100lbs each though. Hundred lb dumbells never feel that heavy.

Sensei
01-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Shouldering a 100lb bag to one shoulder and going for long walks is my favorite GPP exercise right now.

vdizenzo
01-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Shouldering a 100lb bag to one shoulder and going for long walks is my favorite GPP exercise right now.

That's what I am doing this Wednesday. Well, either shouldered or bear hugged. My conditioning is terrible. I am going to stick with gpp work on my 3 off days. I am so curious what my conditioning will be like by summertime.

FortifiedIron
01-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Vinny.. if you need any info on conditioning let me know.

I got plenty of stuff that would make you be able to jump a 10ft wall and run a 10K :D

Kc

Joshua Davis
01-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Let me go ahead and say sandbag training is pretty awesome. Let me also say I have spent at least $80-$90 on army/navy duffel bags that have busted. My strongman coach finally broke down and bought one of the ironmind bags, and that thing is awesome, and we are betting we could fill it with lead shot, drop it, and it wouldn't bust.

If you live somewhere humid (humidity + sand = canvas killer), then I strongly suggest you spend the cash and get the IM bag instead, it will save you in the long run.

Plus, using the IM bag allows you to "load" the bag with smaller bags of sand, you can prefill the mini bags in 25 and 50lb increments, so you can vary the weight and workload. Opening a sandy zipper on a canvas bag is almost a workout in itself.

vdizenzo
01-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Let me go ahead and say sandbag training is pretty awesome. Let me also say I have spent at least $80-$90 on army/navy duffel bags that have busted. My strongman coach finally broke down and bought one of the ironmind bags, and that thing is awesome, and we are betting we could fill it with lead shot, drop it, and it wouldn't bust.

If you live somewhere humid (humidity + sand = canvas killer), then I strongly suggest you spend the cash and get the IM bag instead, it will save you in the long run.

Plus, using the IM bag allows you to "load" the bag with smaller bags of sand, you can prefill the mini bags in 25 and 50lb increments, so you can vary the weight and workload. Opening a sandy zipper on a canvas bag is almost a workout in itself.

I used heavy duty contractor garbage bags with duct tape to secure the original bags of sand. I can vary the weight of my bags as well. Hey, I just started so they may not hold up. We'll see, but it was worth a shot for $30.