PDA

View Full Version : starting a bulk - would love advice

jeffh
07-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Hello all, after starting being serious about my lifting/diet in January, I started a routine (somewhat in between cutting and maintenance) taking in around 2700 calories a day. I made some good strength gains and cut down from about 185 to 180 (I'm 6'0). I'm going to start on a bulk, but wanted to lay out my plans so you guys could critique, and answer some gray areas.

My nutritional goal is going to be 3300 cals a day, with a protein intake from 200-225g. I'm taking 10g of fish oil a day.

My main uncertainties are how long to bulk, and if my workout is suitable for bulking. I am planning on bulking for 3-4 months, and am going to try to use the WBB1 workout (I was previously using a workout from muscle & fitness).

Another question, which might seem obvious to some but not to me, is whether or not I should keep up HIITs. It seems counterproductive to me, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for helping, I really appreciate it.

-Jeff

MagnaSephiroth
07-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Im no expert, but what I do know is when bulking to really cut down on cardio. Walking for 30 minuts on off days or after a workout is plenty.

TheGimp
07-17-2006, 01:38 AM
I wouldn't hit 3300 calories straight away. Try 3000 calories a day for a week and see if this is sufficient for you to gain weight. If not, then increase it up to 3300 and try again. Repeat the process until you find yourself gaining about 1 lb a week.

As for how long to bulk, really it is a matter of personal preference. Do it until you dislike how you look in the mirror, then cut.

WBB #1 is an excellent place to start.

Cardio can be considered counter productive with regards bulking, but if you'd like to keep it up for reasons such as cardio-vascular fitness then it's simply a case of eating more to compensate.

jeffh
07-17-2006, 06:16 AM
One more question I wanted to ask, but forgot to - what would you reccommend for calories/protein on rest days? Should I lower them, or keep the intake the same? Thanks for the advice so far.

KingWilder
07-17-2006, 07:16 AM
keep your intake the same on rest days