PDA

View Full Version : Steve's Journal

stevenomercy
07-17-2006, 09:16 AM
I've tried keeping these online progress journals in the past, but it seemed like I could never keep it up. I'm gonna give it another go now.
Anyways, I'm starting fresh.. I'm currently 5'9, 228 pounds, I'm gonna be working on cutting down to 190 by fall. I'm on the second week of my cut, but this weekend had a cheat day and my sleep was all whacked out this weekend because my band had some out of town shows.

Over the past few months, I've only managed to drop about 6 pounds, and then kind of stick around 228. I realized a lot of this had to do with the bad food I'd eat on weekends after going out partying, or whatever, so back in June, I quit drinking altogether. I haven't had a drink or smoked out since June 10th, and I don't plan on going back to the party lifestyle either, cause it's just counter-productive FOR ME.

The routine I'm using is the MAX OT/MAX Cardio routine, and right now, I'm on week 2 of that.

7/16/06
Monday
Squats: 6/6/5 @ 255 pounds
Leg Press: 6/6 @ 200 pounds
SL DL: 5/5 @ 70 pounds
Calf Raises: 6/6/5 @ 160 pounds (could've gone a lot heavier)

My diet today, so far:

10 AM
Bagel, fat free cream cheese, 330 calories,
Nitrean protein shake (fat free milk + 2 scoops of nitrean) 300 calories
Banana

11:15 AM
post-workout nitrean protein shake, 300 calories

2:30 PM
Small Chicken Breast

5:00 PM
Small Chicken Breast

8:15 PM (home from work, dinner time)
4 Chicken Legs
Sweet Potato

11:30 PM
Turkey Sandwich (for some reason I was starving, ended up waking up and groggily eating this.. I'm gonna try to make plans to maybe eat some cottage cheese or something before I fall asleep, cause I have a problem waking up and being starving in the middle of the night)

It all came out in Fitday to look like this:

Calories 2666 Fat 73 g Carbs 166 Protein 347 g

Ended up going over 2500, so gonna have to be tighter today on it. It was that damn turkey sandwich at night.

--
I'll be updating the rest of today when I get home from work. I'm getting very strict now about using a notepad + fitday to keep track of my calories while I'm cutting. Trying to keep my calorie intake from exceeding 2500 calories daily.

Bob
07-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Welcome to Journal Land Steve.. and to WBB..

We're about the same size..although I'm probably much older.. so it will be interesting to watch your progress..

Good luck..

stevenomercy
07-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks, Bearwolf.

I think keeping one of these for once will help me stay disciplined and drop the weight I wanna get rid of, and keep it off.

I dropped from 240 to 185 about two years ago now, and maintained at around 195, but I put it all back on between last summer and fall due to stress, and just partying way too much.

Ammotroop
07-18-2006, 09:47 AM
You can do it bro. I am bulking up to about 220, but then I will start my cut back down to 200 or 190. There are times I screw up and eat what I shouldnt as well, but you just have to sit and think, "this may taste good now, but how will I feel later". Keep hitting the gym too. Thats where its at.

Con
07-18-2006, 09:53 AM
gj on quitin smokin and drinkin.

Btw what are you stats, like height and bf%. At first glnace you fats are a little low, i need a minimun of like 75 grams since I follow .5 grams for my LBM so id assume you weight 50 pounds more than me would need a bit more.

Also whats your maintenance cals?

Gl and ill be back.

stevenomercy
07-18-2006, 10:47 AM
gj on quitin smokin and drinkin.

Btw what are you stats, like height and bf%. At first glnace you fats are a little low, i need a minimun of like 75 grams since I follow .5 grams for my LBM so id assume you weight 50 pounds more than me would need a bit more.

Also whats your maintenance cals?

Gl and ill be back.

Thanks, guys.

I'm 5'9", my BF is around 26%, I haven't checked it in a few months. It's kind of a bummer, I was 190 last May with 12% bf, but oh well, time to get back to where I was at. I could probably stand to up my fats some more. Maybe get some peanut butter or something into my diet at least.

Using the 13xbw formula, my maintenance calories came out to about 2964.

I think my biggest thing is just keeping my stuff written down, and avoiding eating in the middle of the night.

Thanks for the encouragement tho from all y'all!

Con
07-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Ok, so assuming that ur bf% is accurate you will need atleast 169 grams of protein a day and atleast 85 grams of fat. For me, a huge thing of olive oil(and i mean huge) cost about 30 or 40 dollars at BJ's and im set on fat(althought i love my smuckers natty PB)

Not sure what your situation is but my only problem for my macros are protein so I guess, if you can, stock up on what you need.

Btw if you constantly wake up in the middle of the night, set it up so you have something planned into your totals, cals/macros. It doesnt matter when you eat, at long and you within your limits.

So gl man, and ill be checkin in, keep your journal up to date.

stevenomercy
07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Ok, so assuming that ur bf% is accurate you will need atleast 169 grams of protein a day and atleast 85 grams of fat. For me, a huge thing of olive oil(and i mean huge) cost about 30 or 40 dollars at BJ's and im set on fat(althought i love my smuckers natty PB)

Not sure what your situation is but my only problem for my macros are protein so I guess, if you can, stock up on what you need.

Btw if you constantly wake up in the middle of the night, set it up so you have something planned into your totals, cals/macros. It doesnt matter when you eat, at long and you within your limits.

So gl man, and ill be checkin in, keep your journal up to date.

Yea, I'm going to take your advice and go for the olive oil thing to help me out with my fat intake.

Today
Tuesday
7/18/06
MAX OT TUESDAY WEEK 2
Biceps
BB Curls: 6/6 @ 80 lbs
Alt. DB Curls: 6/6 @ 35 lbs
Hammer Curls: 6 @ 40 lbs

Triceps
Cable Pushdowns: 6/6 @ 160lbs
Lying Tricep Extensions: 6/5 @ 80 lbs
Close Grip Bench Press: 5/5 @ 180 lbs

Forearms
Reverse BB Curls: 6/6 @ 60 lbs

Abs:
Leg Raises: 15/15 @ 0 lbs
Cable Ab Crunches: 8/8 @ 120 lbs
Crunches: 12 (weighted) @ 10 lbs

Then tonight after work, I came home, ate dinner, chilled a bit, and around 9:00, did MAX OT Cardio
MAX OT CARDIO
16 Minutes @ 8.3 mph on treadmill.. first 9 minutes, 8.3 mph / 0 incline, next two minutes 5.0 mph on 6.0 incline, next two 8.3 mph / 0 incline, next minute 5.0 mph on 6.0 incline, remaining time 8.3 mph / 0 incline.
Calories burnt: 310. Distance: 2.04 miles

DIET
10:30 AM
Bagel, fat free cream cheese, 4 oz OJ,
12:30 PM
banana, 2 hardboiled eggs
1:30 PM (pre-workout shake)
Nitrean w/ fat free milk
3:00 pm
Turkey Burgers (2), corn on the cob (2) w/ small pat of butter on each
6:00 pm
Turkey Burger (1)
10:30 PM
PB Sandwich

My Fitday came out something like this
Calories 2320 Fat 70g Carbs 178g Protein 232g

I'm much happier with this than yesterdays. It's about 11:00 now, and I'm gonna get ready to crash. I've left myself enough room to where if I wake up in the middle of the night tonight, I can have some cottage cheese without screwing up my calories. I still gotta get my fat a little higher, but I'm gonna work on that. Workout was good today, I'm staying really disciplined with warming up, and I notice an improvement on the intensity of my workout now from it.

Con
07-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Good to hear, I gotta take some more time myself to warm up.

I personally cant comment on workout routines because I cant determine whats too much volume and such but if it felt intense go for it!

And im also happy to hear ur plannin for middle of the night, will really help you.

Glad to see you got some things sorted out :)

stevenomercy
07-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Yesterday went OK. Here's the rundown:

MAX OT Wednesday Shoulders (Week 2)
Military Press 6/6/5 @ 130 lbs
Seated DB Press 6/6 @ 55 lbs
DB Side Lat Raises 6/6 @ 30 lbs
Shrugs 6/6 @ 160 lbs
Upright Rows 5/5 @ 100 lbs

10 AM
Bagel w/ fat free cream cheese
Canteloupe

11:30 AM
Nitrean w/ milk

1:00 PM
Nitrean w/ milk
PB Sandwich

4:30 PM
Turkey and Swiss cheese sandwich w/ mustard

8:30 pm (dinner, home from work)
Wheat spaghetti w/ Turkey meatballs

My breakdown was something like this:
Calories: 2355 Fat 65 (need to get it higher) Carbs: 266g Protein 225

stevenomercy
07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
7/28/06
Man, lost my internet for almost a week... sucked hard!

Anyways, I really need to tighten my diet up. It's improved a lot, but I'm still going over the cutting percentage of calories that I factored up. Not having internet for a week, kinda screwed me up as far as Fitday and my journal (for motivation) goes, but no excuses. I did keep writing down everything I hate, and on the days that my calories went over, it was "good" foods, and not junk. Anyways, time to start fresh. I'll be posting my calories, and what I took in today later tonight. Here's what this morning's workout looked like though:

MAX OT, WEEK 3, FRIDAY, CHEST
Barbell Bench Press: 6/5/5 @ 210 lbs
BB Incline Bench Press: 6/6/5 @ 170 lbs
Dips: 10/10 @ 0 lbs
--

I'll be updating later with the actual food side of things.

stevenomercy
07-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Back on track now.. internet problems resolved.

JULY 31st MONDAY MAX OT WEEK 4

SQUATS 6/6/6 @ 235 lbs
LEG PRESS 6/6 @ 200 lbs
STIFF LEG DEAD LIFTS 5/5 @ 80 lbs
CALF RAISES 6/6/5 @ 180 lbs

DIET

1. BAGEL w/ FAT FREE cream cheese @ 10 AM
2. NITREAN w/ milk (2 scoops) @ 11 AM (pre-workout)
3. NITREAN w/milk (1 scoop) @ 11:45 AM (post-workout)
4. TUNA FISH ON WHEAT BREAD @ 3 PM
5. TUNA FISH ON WHEAT BREAD @ 6 PM
6. CHICKEN QUESADILLAS @ 8:30 PM (dinner)

my fitday totals were calories 2433 fat 65 carb 246 protein 236

then, this evening, I did a session of MAX OT cardio

16 minutes 322 calories, 2.15 miles.

supplementation: 3 thermocin in the morning, 3 in the afternoon, 2 multivitamins in the morning

Today was a really good day, I'm really feeling motivated.

stevenomercy
08-01-2006, 09:12 PM
AUGUST 1st

MAX OT WEEK 4
BICEP CURLS: 5/5 @ 90 lbs
ALTERNATING DB CURLS: 6/6 @ 40 lbs
CONCENTRATION CURLS: 4 @ 40 lbs
CABLE PUSHDOWNS: 6/6 @ 100 lbs
STANDING TRICEP EXTENSIONS: 6/6 @ 100 lbs
CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS: 6/6 @ 180 lbs
REVERSE BARBELL CURLS: 4/4 @ 70 lbs
LEG RAISES: 15/15 @ 0lbs
AB PULLDOWNS: 6/6 @ 120 lbs

DIET
1. BAGEL w/ CREAM CHEESE FAT FREE
2. NITREAN w/ milk, 2 scoops
3. Turkey Meat Loaf
4. Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

Didn't space my meals out too much today, but my calories and fitday all came out looking good... protein is a little lower than i'd like, but oh well.

calories 2138 fat 70 carbs 207 protein 195

stevenomercy
08-03-2006, 08:32 AM
AUGUST 2nd

MAX OT WEEK 4
MILITARY PRESS: 6/6/6 @ 130 lbs
SEATED DB PRESS: 6/6 @ 55 lbs
STANDING SIDE DB LATERAL RAISES: 6/6 @ 25 lbs (better form)
BB SHRUGS: 6/6 @ 180 lbs
UPRIGHT ROWS: 5/5 @ 90 lbs

Diet was pretty good yesterday, even though I feel mad bloated today, for some reason. I managed to keep my calorie intake below 2500, by just a hair, but I'd like to keep it lower than that. I have no idea why I wake up in the middle of the night, but man, I am starving. I'm at least having the good sense to just drink a glass of milke or eat some cottage cheese, even though I feel like I'm half asleep. Anyhow, here's what it looked like.

1. Oatmeal, Nitrean w/ Milk (2 scoops) @ 10 AM
2. 2 small slices of Turkey Meatloaf @ 12 PM
3. Nitrean w/ milk (1 scoop) post-workout @ 1:00
4. Turkey Sandwich @ 4:30 PM
5. Lean pork chops, baked potato @ 8:30 PM
6. PB + Jelly sandwich @ 11:30 pm

Here's the Fitday totals cal 2357 fat 65 carb 193 protein 229

My big goal now is to try have my last meal done and finished by 9 PM. That way I won't wake up in the night, feeling hungry, or wake up the next morning feeling bloated from that late night snack.

stevenomercy
08-04-2006, 10:45 AM
AUG 3rd, DAY 4

MAX OT WEEK 4
Dead Lifts: 5/5 @ 200 lbs
Lat Pull Downs: 6/6 @ 160 lbs (wide grip)
Bent Over BB Rows: 6/6 @ 145 lbs
Good Mornings: 6/6 @ 60 lbs

My diet, I felt, was very good yesterday. I had lots of energy, and managed to keep my numbers right.

1. BAGEL w/ fat free cream cheese 10 AM
2. Nitrean (2 scoops) in milk 10 AM
3. Nitrean (1 scoop) in milk 11:30 AM (post-workout)
4. Lean Pork Chop @ 2pm
5. Lean Pork Chop @ 6 pm
6. Low-Fat Turkey SausageS (12 links) @ 8:30 pm

My fitday totals look like this:

2260 68 204 246

I also did a session of MAX OT Cardio last night before bed..

16 minutes, 2.16 miles, 325 calories, 8.5/0 inc mph for 10 minutes, 5.5/6.5inc for 1 minute, 8.5/0 inc for 2 more minutes, 5.5/6.5inc for 1 minute, and then 8.5/0 inc for the final 2 minutes.

stevenomercy
08-10-2006, 09:36 AM
8/9/06

Haven't been able to update the last few days cause of changes in work schedule, and that sort of thing. I've been doing a good job at keeping track of my fitday, and progress though.

Yesterday was my first day trying carb cycling, after having read a lot about it here on WBB, and man, I think I've found my way to cut. I ate my carbs for the day before and after my workout, and then the rest of the day, every meal was protein + fat (except for some green beans with my dinner, but they seemed so low in carbohydrates, that I didn't think they mattered), as outlined in a post I had read here on WBB. I was amazed at how much more energetic I felt, and how my appetite wasn't going haywire. The big thing I noticed was that it helped me kill my hunger cravings at night. I was still hungry, but I had a glass of milk before I fell asleep, and that was that. I didn't wake up once in the middle of the night craving something crunchy (as I had been doing a lot).

My fitday totals looked something like this:

calories 2305 fat 55 carbs 201 protein 267

That falls right in line with the amount of calories I want to be taking in.

Here's what yesterday looked like:

1. Sweet Potato, apple, Nitrean (2 scoops) in milk (pre-workout)
2. Gatorade, 16 oz, during workout.
3. Nitrean (1 scoop), wheat rice, post-workout
4. 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg
5. 2 chicken breasts, green beans
6. cup of cottage cheese, glass of milk

Like I said, I FELT really good all throughout the day. The only thing I noticed was that when I got home from work last night, I did not feel like I had the energy to pump out one of those MAX OT cardio sessions. I try to limit those to only two or three times a week though, so it's not a big deal. Everything else was in check.

My workout yesterday was my 5th week on MAX OT before I switch up the routine as their site instructs.

Military Press: 5/5/4 @ 145 lbs
Seated DB Press: 6/6 @ 55 lbs
Side DB Lat Raises: 8/8 @ 25 lbs
Shrugs: 6/6 @ 170 lbs
Upright Rows: 6/6 @ 90 lbs

Con
08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Good job keepin up with everything despite your schedule. Way to stay dedicated.

As for the diet, might wanna up the fats a bit, btw how much are you losing a week? We are rougly on the same cals and i been doin good, you might be doina an overkill on cals, unless you are losin that 1 pound a week type thing.