PDA

View Full Version : Anaerobic Conditioning to Aerobic Conditioning

Chubrock
07-17-2006, 09:17 AM
I've been wondering for some time now about the correlation between Anaerobic capacity and Aerobic capacity. For example, most of you know I do a lot of Anaerobic conditioning for my grappling. I haven't ran more than 2 miles in quite a long time. I went and played soccer with the highschool's team just recently, and absolutely smoked everybody. After two hours of soccer I felt fresh, easily could've gone much longer. Question is, what correlation is there between the two, and as my Anaerobic capacity increases, does my Aerobic capacity increase as well?

Discuss.

Anthony
07-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Damn straight. HIIT improves everything that steady state improves, but has none of the drawbacks (muscle loss, strength & power loss, etc).

MixmasterNash
07-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Yes. This is well known. Start doing some reading, slacker.

E.g. The Tabata protocol testing showed greater increases in VO2 max for subjects performing Tabatas 5x a week (for a total of only 20 minutes a week!) than subjects doing cardio for 1hr a day 5x (5 hours per week).

The best reason for most athletes to perform long, slow cardio is to condition body parts other than the cardiovascular system, such as connective tissue. I wouldn't want to run a marathon without a lot of LSD for this reason.

Chubrock
07-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys.

Mix, since I need to read, anyway you can link me to the study you were referring to?

MixmasterNash
07-17-2006, 12:38 PM
http://sportsci.org/jour/0101/cf.htm

Chubrock
07-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Good read.

Do ya'll feel that anything can be used with the Tabata principles (squats, pushups, chins, jumping jacks, sprinting etc etc) to increase VO2 Max, or would it have to be something along the lines of running, swimming, cycling?

MixmasterNash
07-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Good read.

Do ya'll feel that anything can be used with the Tabata principles (squats, pushups, chins, jumping jacks, sprinting etc etc) to increase VO2 Max, or would it have to be something along the lines of running, swimming, cycling?
Yes, you can do almost anything.

The key is for the activity to have short cycles. A clean and jerk probably isn't great because it takes 4 or 5 seconds for each cycle.

Crossfit's tabata this is a full tabata for each of: pullups, situps, pushups, and BW squats. 16 minutes of hell.

Chubrock
07-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Good deal. Thanks Mix. Guess you're good for something other than making me feel big.

MixmasterNash
07-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Good deal. Thanks Mix. Guess you're good for something other than making me feel big.
Oh snap. If I ever need to lose I fight, I'll be sure to lie down and let you drop a lightweight kettlebell on my leg for reps.

laxguy1028
07-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Could Tabata be used with something like punching a heavy bag?

Anthony
07-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Of course, but I would probably link it with other exercises so you work your entire body.

laxguy1028
07-18-2006, 11:07 AM
So say Tabata Punching Bag, Body Weight Squats, and Situps?

Anthony
07-18-2006, 11:13 AM
squats, chinups, punching bag, situps ... that would be fun. :)

Skinny_DiezeL
07-18-2006, 11:33 AM
squats, chinups, punching bag, situps ... that would be fun. :)

what about sprints, situps, punching bag?

Anthony
07-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Sure ... mix it up, try it out, see what makes you want to puke and what doesn't. Sometimes what looks easy on paper is killer.

Skinny_DiezeL
07-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Sure ... mix it up, try it out, see what makes you want to puke and what doesn't. Sometimes what looks easy on paper is killer.

lol got the sprints/ situps/ punching bag from my muay thai class..lol. usually end up feeling sick to my stomach, even when not winded that bad.

TooShortBabe
07-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Yes. This is well known. Start doing some reading, slacker.

E.g. The Tabata protocol testing showed greater increases in VO2 max for subjects performing Tabatas 5x a week (for a total of only 20 minutes a week!) than subjects doing cardio for 1hr a day 5x (5 hours per week).

The best reason for most athletes to perform long, slow cardio is to condition body parts other than the cardiovascular system, such as connective tissue. I wouldn't want to run a marathon without a lot of LSD for this reason.

This is interesting and how do you do that? Could you give examples please?

Anthony
07-19-2006, 06:25 AM
This is interesting and how do you do that? Could you give examples please?

Tabata HIIT is 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds rest, repeated for a total of 8 intervals (4 minutes). It works best with full body movements like sprinting, squats, thrusters, etc.

laxguy1028
07-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Anthony, when doing Tabata with more than one movement For example you do the 4 minutes of work with squats and then you move on to chinups do you take a break before starting each movement or do you just keep going so it would turn into 8 mins or work instead of two 4 mins sessions? Sorry if this is confusing

MixmasterNash
07-20-2006, 02:53 PM
It depends how much pain you want.

Crossfit's tabata this is 4x tabatas with no breaks between them.

16 minutes, exactly.

laxguy1028
07-20-2006, 03:02 PM
That sounds rough, i tried this the other day and was gased even with a two minute break between each movement

Anthony
07-21-2006, 05:58 AM
"Tabata This" is 5 movements with 1 minute break between exercises.

"Tabata Something Else" is 4 movements with no breaks.

Both suck!

ShockBoxer
08-01-2006, 12:38 PM
I was thinking of doing this more often on my off days. I've done a Sunday session a few times and I loved it. My current modified routine has deadlifts or squats every session, though, so how would doing the thrusters between lift days (for example) affect things?

MixmasterNash
08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
I was thinking of doing this more often on my off days. I've done a Sunday session a few times and I loved it. My current modified routine has deadlifts or squats every session, though, so how would doing the thrusters between lift days (for example) affect things?
If you're doing light weights for high rep anaerobic work, it should not have a very significant negative effect on your lifting. It may even have a slight positive recovery effect.

Anthony
08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
It could affect things a lot, depends on your work capacity.

ShockBoxer
08-01-2006, 01:07 PM
In other words... try it out and see what happens?

Anthony
08-01-2006, 01:13 PM
lol, pretty much. Like mix said, the higher rep/light weight could be good for active recovery, but if you go too hardcore it could also tax your CNS which would affect you on your next lift day.