PDA

View Full Version : Which Bulking method?

John04Civic
07-18-2006, 05:55 PM
I have read a few on here. Some say just up by 200-300 a week.

The "What a Bodybuilder Eats" says this:

Calorie Counting Formulas:
Mesomorphs: bodyweight x 15
Ectomorphs: bodyweight x 16-17
Endomorphs: bodyweight x 13-14

To start a cut: subtract 500 from total calories, to maintain cut: subtract 200-300 from total calories depending on weight lost each week. If this the first time you are cutting, I would recommend reading the short article posted by St.P. (see attachment below)

To start a bulk: add 500 to total calories, to maintain bulk: add 200-300 to total calories depending on weight gained each week

And I have read just put down everything in sight! Meaning, it doesn't matter, calories are calories, carbs, sugars, whatever do not count, just carbs and protein.

Thanks for your time and help,

John

PS I am Ectomorph, so I would be doing BWX17 if I was following method 2.

KingWilder
07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Don't go by those formulas...do you happen to track your calories and know your maintenance cals? You need to find your maintenance and add calories to that.

John04Civic
07-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Don't go by those formulas...do you happen to track your calories and know your maintenance cals? You need to find your maintenance and add calories to that.
Why yes I do :)

About 2,300 - 2,500 keeps me on track at the same weight.

The question is which of the following above ways is the "best"

RedSpikeyThing
07-19-2006, 04:12 PM
If you eat exactly 500 calories above your maintenance, you will have an excess of 3500 caloires per week. This equates to about 1 lb per week. Once you've gained muscle, your maintenance cals go up. Therefore you must eat more to keep your bulk going at a steady pace. This increase is generally 200-300 cals.

I would go with the 500 cal increase at first, then slowly increase as needed. If you gain weight too fast, then drop the cals a bit.

John04Civic
07-19-2006, 05:52 PM
If you eat exactly 500 calories above your maintenance, you will have an excess of 3500 caloires per week. This equates to about 1 lb per week. Once you've gained muscle, your maintenance cals go up. Therefore you must eat more to keep your bulk going at a steady pace. This increase is generally 200-300 cals.

I would go with the 500 cal increase at first, then slowly increase as needed. If you gain weight too fast, then drop the cals a bit.
I like this idea, thanks for your input!