PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to consume too many calories if you're super skinny?

wdjuqi
07-18-2006, 07:24 PM
This site is great. I found a shake recipe on here which is like 1300-1400 calories in one shake...and I plan on drinking 3 a day plus eat of course. If I end up with like 5k-6k calories a day, is that bad? I really don't see how it could be bad for a young guy like me who has been having trouble getting past the 135 pound mark for more than 3 and a half years now. But I know nothing is ever simple and it just HAS to be complicated. Can I just "eat, eat, eat" like everyone one here says and get as many calories as possible or do I have to gradually work up to a magic number of calories. I'm hoping for the "eat, eat, eat" answer! I want to get bigger as quickly as possible.

Built
07-18-2006, 07:26 PM
You can indeed consume too many calories if you're super skinny.

You'll risk weight gain.

MixmasterNash
07-18-2006, 07:46 PM
He might get muscles too, if he exercises.

Built
07-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh, yeah, and with muscle comes the risk of added strength.

Songsangnim
07-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Oh, yeah, and with muscle comes the risk of added strength.

And along with those risks comes the one of increased sex appeal.

Best not to chance it, don't you think?:evillaugh

To the OP: Seriously (all joking aside) it IS that simple.

Train hard (3-4 days) eat lots, rest lots and you should grow. If not eat and sleep more until you start seeing gains. Stay away from isolation exercises and hit the big compounds.

Gilles1975
07-19-2006, 03:11 AM
No matter how skinny you are, everyone has a calorie maintainance level. You should look to exceed it by about 500 calories a day. Just because you're skinny, if you eat ridiculous amounts, say 1500 calories above your maintainance, then all you will be doing is gaining unnecessary fat. You won't gain anymore muscle by going 1500 calories above maintainance than you would going 500 above maintainance.
The best thing is to gain the muscle while minimizing the fat gains, though a little fat gain is unavoidable (unless your a hollywood actor, they seem to find a way round this, could be something to do with money I suppose).
So find your maintainance level and exceed it by 500, anymore than 500 is unnecessary.

Gilles1975
07-19-2006, 03:13 AM
No matter how skinny you are, everyone has a calorie maintainance level. You should look to exceed it by about 500 calories a day. Just because you're skinny, if you eat ridiculous amounts, say 1500 calories above your maintainance, then all you will be doing is gaining unnecessary fat. You won't gain anymore muscle by going 1500 calories above maintainance than you would going 500 above maintainance.
The best thing is to gain the muscle while minimizing the fat gains, though a little fat gain is unavoidable (unless your a hollywood actor, they seem to find a way round this, could be something to do with money I suppose).
So find your maintainance level and exceed it by 500, anymore than 500 is unnecessary.
The one good thing about starting as a skinny guy is that you have room to experiment. I myself started lifting with a little flab already and it has taken me some time to find the right balance of calories needed, and this has caused me to gain a little more fat than I should have.
The advice on this site is great, but it can only generalize. Use the advice as a guide, but find out what works best for you with a little trial and error.

wdjuqi
07-19-2006, 03:34 PM
There's two different answers in this thread. :swear:

seK
07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
There's two different answers in this thread. :swear:
If it takes you 4k-5k a week to gain 1lbs-2lbs a week then you are fine, if you are gaining above that you may want to cut back a bit. This only applies if you are hitting the gym consistently though. It is for the most part trial and error though.

wdjuqi
07-19-2006, 04:36 PM
If it takes you 4k-5k a week to gain 1lbs-2lbs a week then you are fine, if you are gaining above that you may want to cut back a bit. This only applies if you are hitting the gym consistently though. It is for the most part trial and error though.

What if I'm not hitting the gym constantly? I plan on lifting at home 3 times a week, really only concentrating on bench, squats, and deadlifts.

RedSpikeyThing
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
What if I'm not hitting the gym constantly? I plan on lifting at home 3 times a week, really only concentrating on bench, squats, and deadlifts.

That is hitting the gym constantly.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-19-2006, 05:34 PM
What if I'm not hitting the gym constantly? I plan on lifting at home 3 times a week, really only concentrating on bench, squats, and deadlifts.You can lift 3-4 times a week and do just fine.

wdjuqi
07-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Good. So drinking 3 of those 1,300 calorie shakes would be ok? Remember, I'm only 135 pounds and want to gain weight as quickly as possible...without getting manboobs! That's my biggest fear.

Is it true anything over 500 calories over my maintence is a waste of food/money?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Is it true anything over 500 calories over my maintence is a waste of food/money?Um...where did you hear/read that nonsense? That's fine if it's helping you gain weight.

Good. So drinking 3 of those 1,300 calorie shakes would be ok? Remember, I'm only 135 pounds and want to gain weight as quickly as possible...without getting manboobs! That's my biggest fear.As long as it fits into your caloric needs for the day, it's fine.

wdjuqi
07-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Um...where did you hear/read that nonsense? That's fine if it's helping you gain weight.

Isn't that what Gilles1975 was saying above?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm saying what I'm saying.

Margin Of Error
07-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Short answer: no. A little fat never hurt an ectomoprh.

wdjuqi
07-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Can I just do bench, deads, and squats and not anything else? Just put my full concentration on those exercises?

Also, what can I do to prevent man titties? I'm very self conscious of my pecs and I have like a phobia of getting boobs from extra fat. Just bench press my ass off?

Majestic
07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm excited for this guy. These next couple months should be interesting. :indian:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Can I just do bench, deads, and squats and not anything else? Just put my full concentration on those exercises?You should do this: WBB Routine #1 (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25)

RedSpikeyThing
07-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Also, what can I do to prevent man titties? I'm very self conscious of my pecs and I have like a phobia of getting boobs from extra fat. Just bench press my ass off?

"man titties" are a result of excess fat. There is no such thing as spot reduction, so you can't just work that area a little harder to prevent them from happening. Basically, don't eat TOO much - shoot for a gain of 1-2 lbs per week. If you keep that up and lift weights, you will be fine.

The only exception to this is large people that have lost a lot of weight. They have excess skin in the pec area, which creates man titties as well.

Gilles1975
07-20-2006, 12:13 AM
You can go 500 above your daily maintenance, just don't expect to get significantly more muscle than you would with only 500 calories above maintenance, oh and say hello to your new manboobs.
The thing you have to realize is there are some people on this forum who don't mind getting a little fat while bulking, as they shed the fat later on. Maybe this applies also to you.
As someone who has been fat in the past, I am unwilling to get fat again while bulking, even if it is temporary. I just couldn't stand it.
Bulk clean. Good food, EFAs, complex carbs and no more than 500 kcals above maintenance will be fine. But remember, first you have to find your maintenance level.

wdjuqi
07-20-2006, 04:14 PM
What is that calculation to find your maintence? I read it somewhere on this site, but I can't remember it. As far as tracking calories everyday...I won't do this. I know that I'll get sick of doing it after a few days and I'll just stop doing it. Might as well not even start doing it. At least I'm honest. All I'll know is my macros for my shakes everyday.

So if I'm gaining like 3 or 4 pounds a week I should cut back on the calories? Maybe eliminate one of my daily shakes? It seems to me like that's a good thing for a 135 pounder to be gaining 3 or 4 pounds a week. I guess it's too much fat though.

wdjuqi
07-20-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm excited for this guy. These next couple months should be interesting. :indian:

Why is that?

Slim Schaedle
07-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Why is that?
Because most newbies here ask a few questions about creatine or want a sample diet and are never seen again.

You seem pretty motivated to do it the right way. The way most of us wish we did when we started, but instead wasted years of potential.

wdjuqi
07-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Wow, thanks. I thought Majestic was being sarcastic. :cool:

seK
07-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Wow, thanks. I thought Majestic was being sarcastic. :cool:
It's not untill he starts asking for hugs that you need to be worried. :P

Anyways Good luck with your goals.

wdjuqi
07-21-2006, 03:08 PM
"man titties" are a result of excess fat. There is no such thing as spot reduction, so you can't just work that area a little harder to prevent them from happening. Basically, don't eat TOO much - shoot for a gain of 1-2 lbs per week. If you keep that up and lift weights, you will be fine.

Why I'm so worried is I already have a little fat in my pec area which I'm terrified of it increasing. It's nothing major or anything. If you can't prevent them, what can you do to get rid of them? Obviously me being 135 pounds, I can't cut to get rid of them.

Another question I have is this....how long should I bulk? Until 180 and then I cut? Cutting just get rids of all the fat you've gotten during the bulk and keeps the muscle right? Needless to say, I won't have to worry about cutting for a while. Though, 50 pounds will take less than a year if I'm gaining 1-2 pounds a week.

Eszekial
07-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Bulk until your comfortable.

There is no wrong/right answer here.