PDA

View Full Version : tataki (raw beef) calories

Y0yo
07-19-2006, 08:03 AM
I've been using the same nutritional values as lean cooked beef. Tataki is beef that has been slightly cooked only on the outside of the meat. It's virtually all raw. What I found on calorieking.com was that the raw meat had fewer calories and less protien...why would it have less protein per gram? Why would there be more protien after it's cooked? Does anyone else eat this kind of meat. It's simple and it tastes good...

Edit: Here is a picture of it. I buy it pre-sliced.
http://www.senko-farm.com/topics/tataki/tataki.jpg

Unreal
07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Because when you cook it you remove water, basically concentrating it. So 6oz of raw will have less protein/cals then 6oz of cooked because the 6oz cooked was probably 8-9oz raw.

Y0yo
07-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Makes sense...

MagnaSephiroth
07-19-2006, 01:24 PM
So its beef sushi...?

malkore
07-19-2006, 03:15 PM
just please, no one eat raw ground beef ok? steak is a beef cut...ground beef is scrap meat. steak won't have e.coli....ground beef can, and cooking it thoroughly (brown clear through) is the only surefire way to render it safe for consumption.

adamcole87
07-19-2006, 03:33 PM
plus u get vericose vains right

pakse
07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Howdy,

For no good reason I feel compelled to chime in with my personal and unqualified opionon.

Raw beef...

1. The really bad stuff (e. coli. and friends) only exist where the beef has been exposed to air. Therefore, if I'm going to do carpaccio I trim the outside fully (and save to fry up with eggs later or something).

2. With any whole piece of beef - as long as the outside has been heated to a proper temperature, it should be fine to eat.

3. Cavate - If the meat has been pierced; you could have a problem as that could introduce bacteria inside the meat. Just an FYI.

Most people over cook their food. Learn what temperatures are safe (and some of the "expert" recommendations out there are insane) and buy a good thermometer. Simple, easy - effective.

An example is an egg - you hold an egg to 150 degrees; and it's safe - you've killed all the bad guys. You bring that egg up to 200 and you've just produced rubber. (140 for a few minutes should be sufficient to kill salmonella; just do make sure you get the entire egg up to temp if you're feeding anyone young (<21, old >60, or with a comprimised immune system).

/rant off

Keep the faith,

Pakse

post script - OMG, I just had someone tell me they order their beef well done to prevent mad cow. :) not likely - that's caused by prions which are uneffected by heat.

Oh, and those burgers - use a meat thermometer and you won't have to eat hockey pucks to be safe.