PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with hunger?

TechMetalMan
07-19-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm on a cut right now.

I'm hungry!

I know I've seen ads for pills that supposedly supress hunger and such, but I don't believe them...but now I'm sorta desperate.

Or are there any cutting tips (ie how often you eat or what to eat) that would be beneficial?

Right now to supress the hunger I am chewing gum and drinking lots of water.

I just wanna eat!

care_bear
07-19-2006, 03:45 PM
gum is a bad idea...it makes you hungry by gettin your saliva going

RedSpikeyThing
07-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Spread your meals out throughout the day. Try different amounts of carbs and fats until you find a combination that makes you feel less hungry.

TechMetalMan
07-19-2006, 04:56 PM
gum is a bad idea...it makes you hungry by gettin your saliva going

it always makes me less hungry since stuff is in my mouth and the taste of mint keeps me from getting hungry.

Turnip
07-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Suck it up buttercup, how little are you eating anyways you sure your not eating to little?

Margin Of Error
07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
A better question is why are you cutting at 148 lbs.

TechMetalMan
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
A better question is why are you cutting at 148 lbs.

Actually 155 now. And I know that sounds bad- but i have quite large lovehandles and such- just not comfortable with my body. I figure I have all my life to get big and such, so I mind as well be comfortable with my body while I'm doing it even though it'll slow it down.

ScroogeSF
07-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Actually 155 now. And I know that sounds bad- but i have quite large lovehandles and such- just not comfortable with my body. I figure I have all my life to get big and such, so I mind as well be comfortable with my body while I'm doing it even though it'll slow it down.

I like that justification!
As far as hunger, I substitute carbs with peanut butter and it works great. 2 spoons of that stuff gets me 2-2.5 hrs of non-hunger time.

ShockBoxer
07-19-2006, 08:54 PM
I am always hungry these days, even seconds after scarfing down a chicken sheppards pie, mashed potatoes, and a 6 layer slice of chocolate cake on a cheat day at Swiss Chalet.

I ignore it.

ddegroff
07-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Up your protein and Fat intake, lower CHO's. I use gum too, spikes my insulin a little bit but its much better to keep my mind of hunger.

Built
07-19-2006, 10:19 PM
More veggies, higher fats and protein, slower and lower carbs.

TechMetalMan
07-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Thank you everyone.

I am now eating more whole grain carbs (shredded wheat is doing the trick) and upping my fat. I am having a hard time getting my protein in so I am drinking 2 to 3 whey/casein/eggwhite + water shakes a day to get it in.

I think this will work guys. Thanks a lot.

KingWilder
07-20-2006, 02:25 PM
when you feel hungry brush your teeth...no joke

TechMetalMan
07-21-2006, 12:59 AM
when you feel hungry brush your teeth...no joke
I believe that actually. That's why I chew gum- mint flavors keep me from being hungry at all.

Thexile
07-21-2006, 09:15 AM
drink a gallon of water a day. water in your stomach will give ur body the illusion of being full. try to drink lots and lots of water. the more water you drink the less your body will retain and the more water weight you will lose.

PPl over look the importance of hydration and how poor our drinking habits really are. The less water you drink the more your body keeps whatever it has, its a survival mechanism.

When you shed the water the scale will stop lying to you b/c then you know whatever you lose will probably be fat. Or muscle if you screw up ;)

TechMetalMan
07-21-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for that tip as well.

I generally drink load of it, so that definently helps. I'll try to up my intake though.

pakse
07-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Howdy,

/ranting on

1. Pills suck.
2. I can't imagine why any 18 year old should be trying to surpress hunger.

/ranting off

Anyway - a healthier idea than pills and such in my not so humble opionon is a nice coffee or tea. The caffine will rev you up a bit, and you shouldn't feel so hungry.

In the afternoon when it's hot - I'll often whip up an iced coffee in the blender, adding in a bit of skim milk is a nice way to add body without a lot of calories - and you've got something large and frosty to sip on.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

Eszekial
07-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Because some 18 year olds are morbidley obese?

Quattro
07-21-2006, 01:55 PM
I use gum too, spikes my insulin a little bit but its much better to keep my mind of hunger.

Do you chew sugarfree gum

ddegroff
07-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Yes, but they replace the sugar with sugar alcohols (2kcal/g). So small insulin spike. My favorite is Trident or Extra.

Built
07-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Saliva stimulates appetite, though.

And gum-chewing stimulates saliva.

:(

Goodwinm
07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Eat porridge oats man. They rele good for filling you up for hours. Also provide a hell of a lot of energy too. Good for volume sets in lifting.
And i like your attutude towards cutting at 155 man. U certainly do have all ur life to get big. Sort those love handles out first and then concentrate. But u cud also look at it the other way. you have your whole lift to cut after your huge.

But choice is yours man. As long as ur happy with what ur doing go for it! and i wish u well in your journey! Create a journal man. so we can chekc ur prgoress ;)

Built
07-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Volume sets on a cut?

Goodwinm
07-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Volume sets on a cut?
Oh silly me, i must of forgotten i wasp osting about cutting. damn ill go back to my corner now :p

Ive seen some people do high volume stuff even on a cut. Drains you tho totally.

ddegroff
07-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Saliva stimulates appetite, though.

And gum-chewing stimulates saliva.

:(

I know, it's most likely all plecebo effect. It works for me but it may not work for many other people.

whiteman90909
07-21-2006, 10:05 PM
celery. it gives you something to chew on and you can put salt and pepper on it to make it taste better. best part is it takes more calories to eat a piece than it has to begin with.

Goodwinm
07-22-2006, 12:58 AM
celery. it gives you something to chew on and you can put salt and pepper on it to make it taste better. best part is it takes more calories to eat a piece than it has to begin with.
hehe true that ;)

Built
07-22-2006, 01:34 AM
Ive seen some people do high volume stuff even on a cut. Drains you tho totally.

Lots of people do volume stuff on a cut. Really old-school, very disappointing results.

Goodwinm
07-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Lots of people do volume stuff on a cut. Really old-school, very disappointing results.
Yes ill agree with that.
My friend was on a cut. (cutting at 147lbs) He was skinny as hell but wanted to see his abs more and look toned all over. (he did have a bit of fat around his body)
He did loads of volume stuff, really high rep sit ups, push ups, benching, bi curling, leg pressing. And while he was just toally exhasuted every workout, he was thinking he was oing his body good, and i kept ontelling him "dude you need to bulk not cut, and stop doin high volume sessions. Your body cant cope. It has no energy" and all that stuff. he wouldnt listen and was ignorant. He ended up on the injury list...
He would have been ok if he would have stuck to just 2 or 3 sets. Instead he was doing like 10 sets on every exercise.

Built
07-22-2006, 01:44 AM
It's not because of injuries that it produces lousy results - it's because it chews through LBM.

Low-rep strength training preserves LBM while on lower calories. No juice for the higher rep stuff, so save it for muscle-preservation.

Goodwinm
07-22-2006, 01:49 AM
It's not because of injuries that it produces lousy results - it's because it chews through LBM.

Low-rep strength training preserves LBM while on lower calories. No juice for the higher rep stuff, so save it for muscle-preservation.
thats definatley why he wasnt gaining lean mass at all then.

ShockBoxer
07-22-2006, 06:33 AM
I do the same volume cutting or bulking. This includes 20 rep squats and numerous 5x5s. I've increased my numbers on the 20 rep but the 5x5s have dropped like a rock for some reason.

dissipate
07-22-2006, 07:51 AM
you might also experiment with having 3-4 big meals a day rather than 6 small ones. when i did 6 small meals a day, i watched the clock like a hawk, hungry and dying for the next mealtime. 3 large meals a day have been working better for me.. makes me feel really full 3x a day.

and if you need something to fill your stomach up, substitute the grains for fibrous veg like brocolli and cauliflower. they're huge, take up lots of stomach space, and are low in calories.

TechMetalMan
07-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks everone for the advice. And thanks Goodwinm for appreciating my outlook on this whole life long journey.

I'm trying to keep it up, but I got sorta sick last night and I need to keep food in my body to rejuvenate.

But it'll all work out.

Goodwinm
07-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks everone for the advice. And thanks Goodwinm for appreciating my outlook on this whole life long journey.

I'm trying to keep it up, but I got sorta sick last night and I need to keep food in my body to rejuvenate.

But it'll all work out.
no problem man :) Hope you work everythin out. But im sure you will.
Keep this **** up. :D