PDA

View Full Version : Help Gaining Weight

Billy E.
07-19-2006, 08:06 PM
I recently went on my new diet I guess you could call it. I did some research about and found that I should eat 5-6 smaller meals a day instead of 3 BIG meals or eating all day. Also I should count my calories of a regular day then begin eating 500 more calories more than what I have been. This and working out is supposed to put mass on. Thing is that I am alittle confused on what exaclty to eat. I see other guys meal plans and they are all orgainized in each cat. such as so much of this a day and etc. Now I am eating 5-6 meals a day, and I am eating a good amount. Can anyone give me a suggestion on a good meal plan for a week?

btw: I am about 5'9" and about 130lbs. Been working out for 2 days. lol.

:help:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-19-2006, 08:08 PM
The Ten Commandments To Becoming A Magnificent Mass Monster (http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=17&a=8)

Billy E.
07-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanx.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Also check these links out:

WBB Routine #1 (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25)
What A Bodybuilder Eats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565)

Billy E.
07-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah I have read all 3 of the routines but there are alot of things there that i have no clue what they are. :(

nawmean
07-19-2006, 10:42 PM
I can't really help you with a routine as I'm not an expert, in any way.

As far as eating, I'm in the same boat you are. I have put on a few pounds recently by eating a lot of: eggs, natty peanut butter, tons of tuna fish, nuts, pasta, fish, red meat, and oatmeal. The trick is eat by the clock, not when you're hungry.

Built
07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah I have read all 3 of the routines but there are alot of things there that i have no clue what they are. :(

Like what? Maybe we can help.

What do you do now?

Billy E.
07-21-2006, 01:11 PM
I can't really help you with a routine as I'm not an expert, in any way.

As far as eating, I'm in the same boat you are. I have put on a few pounds recently by eating a lot of: eggs, natty peanut butter, tons of tuna fish, nuts, pasta, fish, red meat, and oatmeal. The trick is eat by the clock, not when you're hungry.

Well I know to eat by the clock I have been. But I have heard on these forums and other places that just eating and working out is not the best and fastest way to get big. It burns me up when I know that if I was eating/drinking the "right" amounts and the "right things" I could be bulking up 2-3 times as fast. But hey thanks for the tip. I could use anything right now. lol.

Like what? Maybe we can help.

What do you do now?

Uhh the deadlifts, marine deadlifts, dips, hack squats, straight leg dead lifts, milatary press in rack, standing lateral rasies. I mean thats just on the first page of the WBB routine #1. I do regular bench press, Dumbell press, decline bench press, 1 arm DB, Pulldowns, seated rows, leg press, leg curl, bicep curls. I have also heard that compound movments are better than just regular bicep curls and stuff. I really dont want to be wasting my time doing them when I could be doing something to get alot faster results. You know what i mean?

Eszekial
07-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Sleeping,
eating,
heavy weights,
compound exercises,

stress plays a factor.

Oh yeah, and, eat more.

SaVvY
07-21-2006, 01:46 PM
dont eat by the clock, eat when your hungry

lots of complex carbs, proteins, and fats (espeically monos)

have a weight gainer shake everyday (ON serious mass is good)

drink lots of milk

aim to retain as much water as possible (eat bread, take creatine, drink gallons of water)

add oils to meals

season everything with black pepper

be sure to get every vit / min your in need of

KingWilder
07-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Uhh the deadlifts, marine deadlifts, dips, hack squats, straight leg dead lifts, milatary press in rack, standing lateral rasies. I mean thats just on the first page of the WBB routine #1. I do regular bench press, Dumbell press, decline bench press, 1 arm DB, Pulldowns, seated rows, leg press, leg curl, bicep curls. I have also heard that compound movments are better than just regular bicep curls and stuff. I really dont want to be wasting my time doing them when I could be doing something to get alot faster results. You know what i mean?

www.exrx.net check there, if not I know you can find stuff on google

Billy E.
07-21-2006, 06:55 PM

lots of complex carbs, proteins, and fats (espeically monos)

drink lots of milk

aim to retain as much water as possible (eat bread, take creatine, drink gallons of water)

add oils to meals

season everything with black pepper

be sure to get every vit / min your in need of

aight thanks. And do I just drink ONE shake a day or 2-3? And so I should be drinking nuthing else cept Creatine drinks, Weight gain Shakes, water, milk. And when you say weight gain, do that just mean something with ALOT of calories? Add oil to meals? Can you give me and example? And if I eat when I am hungry it will be like 2 times a day :(. Thats not good enough I wouldnt think.

www.exrx.net check there, if not I know you can find stuff on google

Aight thanks man. Ill check it.

cphafner
07-21-2006, 07:03 PM

Thats bad advice. You need to keep a constant supply of nutirents in your body. Do you only drink water when your thirsty?

SpecialK
07-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Thats bad advice. You need to keep a constant supply of nutirents in your body. Do you only drink water when your thirsty?

For my first 2 years of training, I only ate when I was hungry, and didn't gain an ounce. It turned out my body's sensation of "hungry" wasn't strong enough to force me to eat enough to grow. For some people it will be. I like to take the guesswork out of it and just eat on a schedule and track cals, that way I KNOW I am eating enough every day.

Also on a related note, pretty much every trainer, coach, and doctor I have spoken to about this said that by the time you feel thirsty, your body is already dehydrated.

cphafner
07-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Also on a related note, pretty much every trainer, coach, and doctor I have spoken to about this said that by the time you feel thirsty, your body is already dehydrated.

I know, that was my point. By the time your are hungry/thirsty it is too late.

Billy E.
07-21-2006, 07:19 PM
I drink water or gatorade. I was making a high cal shake 2-3 times a day but I ran out of supplies. So yeah pretty much water. If I dont drink water I would be drinking milk with a meal. Not by itself.

I think I am need of a meal plan different from other ppl. The reason I think this is becuase I am skinny and always have been. I want to bulk up a bit before school starts in 3-4 weeks, and then continue of course. I need something that would help a pretty skinny person bulk up. As far as a meal plan lately since I started....

Morning: Oatmeal & 2 slices of wheat bread toast, Spred w/ Butter and Jelly. With milk. Or eggs. Or Ceral. I lived off ceral for like years. Thats all I would eat for Breakfast.

Snack: PB crackers w/ water

Lunch: Ham and Cheese sandwich w/ water

Snack: Maybe an apple

Supper: Whatever I make. Anywhere from pasta and hamburger helper to Stirfry.

Would that be good for a bulk, but include protein or weight gain shake? And whats good for a pre/post workout meal and drink?

Skinny_DiezeL
07-21-2006, 07:26 PM

i actually bought the chocolate flavor s/m. but every time i make it, it comes out so chalky its hard to chug...any suggestions? i use a blender on high for 30 sec, to a minute and its still coming out chalky. *bleh*

Mercuryblade
07-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Looks a little light in terms of calories.

Post workout shake
Dextrose (a sweetener, if you can't find it at the grocery store, look on the net, it's real cheap)
Whey (i personally recommend chocolate nitrean)
Canola Oil (1 cup has 1200 calories)
Mix in water for faster absorption, use a blender

Chug and enjoy. Put on 21 lbs last year using my oil shakes, 9 of which was lean mass.

SaVvY
07-22-2006, 05:19 AM
aight thanks. And do I just drink ONE shake a day or 2-3? And so I should be drinking nuthing else cept Creatine drinks, Weight gain Shakes, water, milk. And when you say weight gain, do that just mean something with ALOT of calories? Add oil to meals? Can you give me and example? And if I eat when I am hungry it will be like 2 times a day :(. Thats not good enough I wouldnt think.

Aight thanks man. Ill check it.
yes, lots of calories - no, just once a day, a supplement is just that, your diet should consist of mostly food

You wont be able to just drink creatine, it tastes horrible, add it to your weight gain shake

oil examples - lots of oil in the frying pan to cook scrambled eggs in the morning, adding oil to pasta or rice based meals etc

The human body is not stupid, if its in need of food, it will just tell you, you will be hungry - eating when your not hungry will cause you to gain a lot of body fat, you need to be on a training routine thats making you hungry

SaVvY
07-22-2006, 05:21 AM
i actually bought the chocolate flavor s/m. but every time i make it, it comes out so chalky its hard to chug...any suggestions? i use a blender on high for 30 sec, to a minute and its still coming out chalky. *bleh*
take 1 scoop instead of 2, add some protein + add more water

seK
07-22-2006, 05:58 AM
The human body is not stupid, if its in need of food, it will just tell you, you will be hungry - eating when your not hungry will cause you to gain a lot of body fat, you need to be on a training routine thats making you hungry

Your body can suppress hunger for long periods of time due to the fact that it can feed on stored energy. I would interest in seeing the science behind your comment.

cphafner
07-22-2006, 10:14 AM

you give some pretty bad advice.

Built
07-22-2006, 11:01 AM
you give some pretty bad advice.

On a regular basis, yes. I think he means well, though.

cphafner
07-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Your body can suppress hunger for long periods of time due to the fact that it can feed on stored energy. I would interest in seeing the science behind your comment.

Don't question the 19 year old with 1 year of experience.

bill
07-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Stay full keep your stomach full LOL until that scale reaches at least 185-190
The meal plan you posted is not even a full meal! Eat LOL

SaVvY
07-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Don't question the 19 year old with 1 year of experience.
i have 4 years of experience and a level 3 diploma in nutrition, plus have passed anatomy and physiology (included in my teaching exercise and fitness diploma)

Im also an all natural 19 year old, 260lb male with a healthy body fat % thats bulked 80lbs in 7 or 8 months

These are all facts - if you think im giving bad advice, thats fine, but imo your lying

It is a fact that the human body will tell you it needs feeding by hunger, thats just how it works - i only give my body what it needs, anything more is pointless, it will just get stored as body fat (the reason a lot of bulks end up adding lots of body fat)

bill
07-22-2006, 12:25 PM
I will give some better advice. I was being serious, but funnin a bit. Look up some of the Articles Chris Mason has written here about wt gain for athletes. I would on second thought buy the mass stack here from at large, it will give you routines and sound advice along with quality supplements to start.

bill
07-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Savy at 130 he can welcome some fat, I think that the basic point CP is getting across

SaVvY
07-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Savy at 130 he can welcome some fat, I think that the basic point CP is getting across
fair enough if he wants to add body fat, but if he doesnt, he should not aimlessly stuff his face when hes not hungry - you need to get a good routine together, which will force your body to require more muscle to continue the routine, this will be made known to you by hunger

time2grown06
07-22-2006, 12:36 PM
eat more veggies and fruits....get a big container of V8 juice. Just one 8 oz. glass equals 2 servings of veggies. Good stuff.

Try to aim for a minimum of 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. Use weight gainers, whey protein, etc... as helpers to reach your protein goals. If you reach your goals with food alone, then the whey shakes aren't needed.

bill
07-22-2006, 12:40 PM
If he doesn't want to gain any fat. He has a long road ahead, as far as getting up to a fair size. For his ht I would say 185-200. Even you said you gained all this size at a reasonable bf %, whats reasonable to you?

SaVvY
07-22-2006, 12:44 PM
If he doesn't want to gain any fat. He has a long road ahead, as far as getting up to a fair size. For his ht I would say 185-200. Even you said you gained all this size at a reasonable bf %, whats reasonable to you?
everybody bulking will gain some body fat - i eat pretty close to more than anybody, i dont go light with carbs, proteins, or fats, an will sometimes eat more than my body can use, its hard to tell sometimes, i just dont randomly stuff myself when i dont need it

healthy body fat for a male is 15-18%, my body fat is 16%

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-22-2006, 02:42 PM
dont eat by the clock, eat when your hungryThat's horrible advice.

fair enough if he wants to add body fat, but if he doesnt, he should not aimlessly stuff his face when hes not hungry - you need to get a good routine together, which will force your body to require more muscle to continue the routine, this will be made known to you by hungerOnce again you're using your own experience and generalizing it to apply to everyone else. Some people have to force themselves to eat in order to meet certain requirements.

SaVvY
07-22-2006, 03:10 PM
That's horrible advice.

Once again you're using your own experience and generalizing it to apply to everyone else. Some people have to force themselves to eat in order to meet certain requirements.
why do you assume im so much different than other people? you think i dont have the same organs, bones, muscles?? males and females are a good bit different, but this is not the case from male to male - we all have a hell of a lot in common

All im using is how the human body works, which does apply to me, because im human

chris mason
07-22-2006, 03:36 PM
I think too many people here are being too hard on Savvy. I don't agree with everything he has to say but his is expressing his opinion and he should be allowed to do so without people being quite so hard on him.

Billy E.
07-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Some people have to force themselves to eat in order to meet certain requirements.

uhh yeah. I believe that hes got a point and ppl should not jump on him, but savvy hes right. Before I started working out and eating like I should I was eating like a bowl of ceral and then supper at like 9 at night and I didnt really eat none then. During school is different I eat all the time. But thats not good either, becuase then I was eating like 10 choacolate chip cookies and pepsi and just all the junk food I could eat. Now that summer is here and I really dont do much I dont harldy eat at all, and I actually noticed I started to loose weight,.....did you hear what I said? I was loosing weight. :eek: So I started eating like a bitch and started working out. I have got alot of tips here, and I think I got it together now.

Ok I got to drink more water for sure. Uhh, drink a weight gain shake w/ creatin in it. Get atleast 1g protein per lb. of BW. then..eat more veggies and fruits. As far as the other meals throughout the day...I guess I got to figure something out.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Uhh, drink a weight gain shake w/ creatin in it.Make your own shakes at home. It's healthier and more nutrient dense when you can make it yourself.

And um...check out the links in my sig.

Billy E.
07-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah thats what I was planing on doing and have been until I ran out of **** to make them with :(.

But hey thanks for everything.

seK
07-23-2006, 10:31 PM
It is a fact that the human body will tell you it needs feeding by hunger, thats just how it works - i only give my body what it needs, anything more is pointless, it will just get stored as body fat (the reason a lot of bulks end up adding lots of body fat)

Thatís not an answer to my question, also if you are going to post a synapses of your education use some of the information given during your studies to back up your comment.
I am just interested in where your opinion stems from, if itís your personal experience please state that, nothing is worse than seeing new members join the board to only receive faulty information.

Mercuryblade
07-23-2006, 11:57 PM
I think too many people here are being too hard on Savvy. I don't agree with everything he has to say but his is expressing his opinion and he should be allowed to do so without people being quite so hard on him.

I agree, Savvy is trying to be helpful.

But Savvy, you might want to tone down the boldfaced generalized statements unless you have an article to prove it.

seK
07-24-2006, 10:11 AM
I don't have a problem with opinions being stated, just don't state them as fact unless you have somthing to back it up.

Nosaj
07-24-2006, 10:35 AM
The OP wants to bulk. Obviously, eating when he's hungry has not been working for him. Get a notebook, some measuring cups, a tablespoon, a watch and an arsenal of suppliments and healthy whole foods. If you have questions on what to eat, ask. Eating the right things will not only help supply your body with much needed macronutrients, but it will give you adequate energy for workouts and the healthy foods and the right suppliments (ETS, etc.) will help you repair your muscles quickly. Make set times to eat, find out how many calories it takes for you to gain weight and stick to it. Gaining weight is based on facts, it's simple science. You either are eating in a calorie surplus or you aren't, make it happen.

I saw this is a members signature the other day and I personally found this really inspirational, and while I don't eat animal products, I always thought their ads were really cool. ;)

http://www.animalpak.com/journey/index.cfm

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-24-2006, 01:51 PM
It is a fact that the human body will tell you it needs feeding by hunger, thats just how it works - i only give my body what it needs, anything more is pointless, it will just get stored as body fat (the reason a lot of bulks end up adding lots of body fat)WTF?

Mercuryblade
07-24-2006, 06:41 PM
The OP wants to bulk. Obviously, eating when he's hungry has not been working for him. Get a notebook, some measuring cups, a tablespoon, a watch and an arsenal of suppliments and healthy whole foods. If you have questions on what to eat, ask. Eating the right things will not only help supply your body with much needed macronutrients, but it will give you adequate energy for workouts and the healthy foods and the right suppliments (ETS, etc.) will help you repair your muscles quickly. Make set times to eat, find out how many calories it takes for you to gain weight and stick to it. Gaining weight is based on facts, it's simple science. You either are eating in a calorie surplus or you aren't, make it happen.

Dear Admins,
Delete the rest of this thread, keep that ^ post up. And lock the thread.

Billy E.
07-26-2006, 12:41 AM
If you have questions on what to eat, ask.

I am now asking you...:bow:

Edit: I tracked my calories yesterday and today. This is my start. I missed breakfast yesterday and I could catch up for anything, espeacially with no shakes. I ate like 1700 Mon. and then today I ate about 2400. Is 2400 right for me? Whats the formual to finf my "Mantenince" level or w/e?

seK
07-26-2006, 01:27 PM
I am now asking you...:bow:

Edit: I tracked my calories yesterday and today. This is my start. I missed breakfast yesterday and I could catch up for anything, espeacially with no shakes. I ate like 1700 Mon. and then today I ate about 2400. Is 2400 right for me? Whats the formual to finf my "Mantenince" level or w/e?

Trial and error is the only way to discover your maintenance level.

Billy E.
07-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Are you sure. I saw somewhere, there was a math formula you could figure it out with, but ok. And I was wondering if 2100 - 2500 cals is good or to low to be eating when I weigh 132. And another thing is it possible to bulk without getting 1g protein per body lb. or more?

I get Protein only from what I eat, which in turn I am scared of just getting stronger but not any Bigger. it has happened to me before. But I wasnt working out like I am now, I was just doing situps pullups and pushups at home.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-30-2006, 02:02 PM
And another thing is it possible to bulk without getting 1g protein per body lb. or more?Yes, but why would you want to?

Mercuryblade
07-30-2006, 03:24 PM
saw somewhere, there was a math formula you could figure it out with, but ok. And I was wondering if 2100 - 2500 cals is good or to low to be eating when I weigh 132.

It's supposedly 20 cals per pound if you are a young active male, but it really can vary from person to person. Last winter when I was bulking I didn't start gaining weight until I was eating close to 5000 a day, and I weigh only 150. So trial an error really is your best option.

Billy E.
07-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Yes, but why would you want to?

I am not saying that I want to. I was just wondering, cuase I am not getting anywhere near that. I got to buy some Creatine and Whey sometime. Would that be the best items, or is another brand better?

and blade, thanks. I guess I will just see.