PDA

View Full Version : Is deloading necessary ?

SkinnySadMan
07-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Or is taking a a full week off after every 8 weeks of training be good enough ?

I am not sure if I should even be worrying about these things with only about a year of lifting experience.

If deloading would be beneficial, do I have to do it a certain way? Or keeping it simple work just as good?

Joe Black
07-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Whats deloading? Tapering down?

I don't think so...

Also why take a week off every 8 weeks? Why would you take a week off if you are progressing?

Basically, listen to your body. If its starting to feel tired and you feel over-training coming in, your lifts are progressing a week off can be very beneficial. Or indeed, just cut volume back for a week.

No need to do things at certain time, only when you feel you need to.

Anthony
07-20-2006, 05:13 AM
A good routine will always take periodization/deloading into account, especially if you are a competitive athlete.

There are a variety of ways to do it, although I don't think there's a general consensus on the best way. You could reduce volume, or reduce intensity, or both, or you could switch to a different method of training (ie switching from lifting to playing ball for a week), or you could simply take a week off.

Based on what I've read, most coaches deload their athletes between week 4 and 12. Obviously this depends on the sport, season, schedule, athlete's experience, etc.

I personally schedule a deload week every 4th week. I've been toying with a new routine lately, so I haven't used the deload week yet, but I'll definitely take advantage of it when things settle down.

Or you could deload like Daniel. Train super hardcore for 2 weeks and then deload for 3 months. :p

Paul Stagg
07-20-2006, 05:15 AM
It all depends.

Dealoading is important, yes, but how you do it depends on how you train, what your goals are, etc. Dan's answer is pretty spot on - you have to listen to your body, and take it down a notch every now and again to continue progressing.

SkinnySadMan
07-20-2006, 05:17 AM
Or you could deload like Daniel. Train super hardcore for 2 weeks and then deload for 3 months. :p

I was actually thinking of something similar to that idea. I just can't keep intensity levels up for more than a few weeks.

Also, taking a full week off would probably help me stay SANE.

Joe Black
07-20-2006, 05:36 AM
lol, I am not even sure you got Anthony's sarcastic comment ;)

Sensei
07-20-2006, 04:27 PM
It doesn't have to be planned or intentional, but if you are training regularly then yes, deloading is necessary. Taking time off is another option, but IMHO deloading would be preferable.

rbar89
07-20-2006, 11:08 PM
O, lol I thought you were talking about reracking weights after your done.

gator
07-21-2006, 12:35 AM
What do you guys do for your deloads, and how long do you do them for?

Also when your done with your deload, do you progressively increase your workload or do you just jump right into the set/rep/weight scheme as you did the week before the deload.

SkinnySadMan
07-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Not even sure but what I have in mind but my plan is on week 4 I'll cut back on "heavy-ness" and do something like 3 x 10-12 and make it feel easy (perhaps use different exercises); only a bit of straining. Maybe again on week 5 then go back into it week 6, then back to normal on week 7-10 or so and take a week off. Repeat weeks 1-10.

The templates i found on google was too complicated lol, for me at least.