PDA

View Full Version : 40/40/20

BCorn
07-20-2006, 02:55 PM
40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat.........it that right or do i have it mixed up. thanks

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Ditch the ratios. Try to get at least 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of LBM and at least .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM (a big portion of this should be healthy fat like avocados, natural peanut butter, tuna, fatty fish, nuts, olive oil, etc...). Everything else can come from whatever you want, be it carbs, protein or fat. Just find what you're comfortable with. Are you tracking what you eat?

BCorn
07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
thanks for the reply. i have been using fitday to track my diet for about 4 weeks now.

BCorn
07-20-2006, 03:07 PM
i just multiplied .5 by my lbm and checked previous fitday entries.....seems as if i'm over on my fat......the mixed nuts are whats pushing me over the limit.

Built
07-20-2006, 03:12 PM
over is fine

gator
07-21-2006, 01:05 AM
The only ratio i use is the fat ratio. I do about 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight. I try to get in at least 30% fat and then fill the rest with carbs when bulking. On a cut i just up the fat to about 35-40%.

The reason why I think the fat ratio matters is because fat helps control insulin. If you go by .5g of fat per lb of body weight and that only = to about 15% of total cals your not going to be controlling insulin that well. Of course some people dont really buy into controlling insulin, but it seems to work for me.

ddegroff
07-21-2006, 01:13 AM
.5g/lb of LBM is a MINAMUM amount

You'd be suprised how many buy into controlling insulin.

Built
07-21-2006, 01:39 AM
The only ratio i use is the fat ratio. I do about 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight. I try to get in at least 30% fat and then fill the rest with carbs when bulking. On a cut i just up the fat to about 35-40%.

The reason why I think the fat ratio matters is because fat helps control insulin. If you go by .5g of fat per lb of body weight and that only = to about 15% of total cals your not going to be controlling insulin that well. Of course some people dont really buy into controlling insulin, but it seems to work for me.

I'm very big on the insulin thing - and like ddegroff suggests, dose fat as half a gram per pound LBM at a minimum - that way you don't need to have a "bulking ratio" and a "cutting ratio".

MagnaSephiroth
07-21-2006, 04:43 PM
I use a ratio, becuase with my LBM and kcals im consuming, 404020 is just what I need in turns of getting protein and carbs. I have been trying to eat more protein over carbs though, but if your carbs thwamp your protein, but you still get your recomandation of protein, does it matter?

Built
07-21-2006, 05:41 PM
I use a ratio, becuase with my LBM and kcals im consuming, 404020 is just what I need in turns of getting protein and carbs. I have been trying to eat more protein over carbs though, but if your carbs thwamp your protein, but you still get your recomandation of protein, does it matter?

No. That's the whole point. It's not the ratio that matters - just the amount.