PDA

View Full Version : Rest days and drinking

Hardgainer82
07-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Is a rest day really a rest day if I drink the night before? or am I doubling recovery time.

I'm worried about losing the benefit of my rest days due to a night of drinking beforehand. I have read other threads on the subject, but would appreciate some fresh perspectives.

The days I'm worried about include drinking enough to have a noticeable hangover the next morning.

I've recently moved to Key West with work and the amount of drinking I've been doing lately makes me feel like a freshmen in college again. Weekends only

I'm debating cutting it out completely for a few months.

Con
07-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Cuttin it out completely would be best, no "what if" or "maybe this". Better for your health and will most likely yeild better results for your training.

gains2385
07-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Cuttin it out completely would be best, no "what if" or "maybe this". Better for your health and will most likely yeild better results for your training.
ditto. Alcohol is a rough thing if you are trying to recover. It will not kill you, but it will make your downtime longer because your body will
a) dehydrate
b) work to get what it perceives as poison out
c) delay the repair of your muscles

Just my $.02

KingWilder
07-20-2006, 09:20 PM
moderation...I wouldn't recommend getting drunk every week, but once a month or so isn't going to have a significant effect. Just make sure you get all your calories on your rest day...the biggest problem I have after a night of drinking is that I usually don't feel like eating much the next day.

RedSpikeyThing
07-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Alcohol is a poison. The less of it you drink the better.

Despite what anyone tells you, it WILL impact your gains. It might be small trivial amounts added up over a long period of time, but it will impact it.

Now that I've said that, enjoy it. Everything in moderation. Every now and then won't kill you. It becomes a problem when you can't work out because you're so hung over, or you are simply consuming too many cals.

I'm not trying to preach (I'm in school so I like my drink), but realistically I'd be better off if I didn't. The only thing I acively try to avoid is drinking postworkout.

KingWilder
07-20-2006, 09:25 PM
haha...awesome PWO drink...3 guinness and 3 scoops Nitrean :rolleyes:

RedSpikeyThing
07-20-2006, 09:28 PM
guiness + blender = :micro:

Hardgainer82
07-21-2006, 02:26 PM
moderation...I wouldn't recommend getting drunk every week, but once a month or so isn't going to have a significant effect. Just make sure you get all your calories on your rest day...the biggest problem I have after a night of drinking is that I usually don't feel like eating much the next day.

I've got the same problem. It is pretty easy to sleep through those morning meals and lose calories that way.

If eating is slightly down, sleep isn't quite enough, and my body is fighting out the alchohol if an off day is a hangover day, is the next day of lifting being done on muscles that are still broken down and not as recovered as they should be.

I have heard before a night of heavy drinking can set a workout back two weeks.

Gilles1975
07-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm lucky as I can't stand alcohol. I haven't had a drink in years, not because of lifting, I've only been lifting for two months.
Best to cut it out completely if you can. The fact that alcohol slows down your recovery time should be all the reason you need, I mean, if eating cucumber slowed down your muscle building progress you wouldn't dream of eating it.

Sidior
07-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Like people have said everything in moderation, unless you are preparing for a show or bodybuilding for a career I dont see any reason why alcohol once and awhile would really hurt you. Enjoy life, and if having a beer now and then gives you pleasure go for it. Personally I have gone through phases of no drinking to partying multiple times a week. Progress both times was more determined by the rest of my diet then how much booze I was drinking.

KingWilder
07-21-2006, 05:20 PM
:withstupi

I'm not lifting to be a bodybuilder...I lift to look good for myself for the ladies so drinking once a week doesn't bother me and I've found my progress isn't really hindered...plus I enjoy it.

Gilles1975
07-22-2006, 07:23 AM
:withstupi
I'm also liftin' for the ladies. That said, as a teetotaller living in the UK I always look good compared to the hordes of moronic binge drinkers we have over here, lol.
Chocolate is my alcohol, but where's my anonymous group therapy, huh!!!

LivinItUp
07-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Is a rest day really a rest day if I drink the night before? or am I doubling recovery time.

I'm worried about losing the benefit of my rest days due to a night of drinking beforehand. I have read other threads on the subject, but would appreciate some fresh perspectives.

The days I'm worried about include drinking enough to have a noticeable hangover the next morning.

I've recently moved to Key West with work and the amount of drinking I've been doing lately makes me feel like a freshmen in college again. Weekends only

I'm debating cutting it out completely for a few months.

You may have a better idea if you research the effects alcohol has on you're body. I've drank regularly this summer, I've worked out hungover, I've made incredible gains. I had 15 shots of vodka one night it sure didn't set me back 2 weeks. I can say I lifted even more a few days later than I ever had before. I know it's bad, but it's part of my lifestyle right now just as working out is. The two clash, well that's just too bad :zipit: Basically you're protein synthesis is going to be a lot less the night you drink from what I've read here. If you can do without it for a few months then go for it, but you need to weigh out what will be better for you personally.

Don't mix protein with alcohol! it's bad LOL keep the two separate