PDA

View Full Version : Two-a-days and lifting

emceepal
07-20-2006, 08:40 PM
The football season is starting up again and two-a-days are around the corner. Although two-a-days require a lot of energy, I still want to workout after practice (which goes from 9am until 3pm with lunch in between) and gain as much muscle as possible (if that is possible).

My question is, how much do I need to eat? And how much protein and carbohydrates will I need to perform at practice AND still be able to go to the gym and gain muscle.

I'm a high-school offensive and defensive lineman. I'm 6'1", 270lbs. I don't know my BF% but I have a very large frame, maybe 23" across at the shoulders. I have a decent sized gut, but I'm not trying to lose any weight because despite being fat, I'm very agile (I wrestled) and run about a 5.1 in the 40 yard dash.

I'm not very strong either, hence why I want to continue lifting during two-a-days. My max bench is 250, I don't know my squat or deadlift maxes. I'm still working on my squat form, but my leg-press max is around 550, not very strong.

Thanks for the help guys!

BigRic
07-20-2006, 09:28 PM
I'd say your lifting efforts should be focused on maintaining muscle and maybe gaining minimal strength. Eat alot of food, and get enough protein and carbs in there to keep you running.

laxguy1028
07-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Eat a TON you will need the energy for practice and even moreso for the lifting after.

Skinny Fat
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Two things you should focus on:

1) Get 'enough' protein at least. For you, that's roughly 250g of it - which is the same as 6 (of my) protein shakes or 7 cups of chicken.
2) Eat enough so you're not losing weight. After you get the protein in, the rest can be whatever kind of calories you want.

emceepal
07-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Also, Skinny Fat, are you ready for another Buckeye season?

rbar89
07-22-2006, 12:19 AM
I also have doubles starting soon, i was wondering the same thing too, but im planning on just going in the evening to workout but maybe less days a week, not sure but i hope it will work plus ill be eating tons.

Denktank22
07-24-2006, 01:32 AM
You should not be focused on gaining during the season, especially during two-a-days! That is why you bust your balls during the offseason and all summer. Work out 2 or 3 times a week, and make sure you dont lose what you've gained so far. During the season you should be in a maintenance phase, you might end up getting hurt if you stress your body with all the practice and then intense workouts on top of that.