PDA

View Full Version : just to say hi, and pick some brains

David In Asia
01-29-2002, 02:01 PM
hi all

(warning, bit of a long winded post, but please bear with me :) )

okey dokey, here's the deal. i've just moved to thailand for as long as it takes in order to do one thing, and one thing only - eat a lot, train, and eat some more. i'm a 5'8, 135lb skinny bloke, and sick to death of it. i've trained on and off for years, and the most i can put on is a few pounds. i'm lucky in that i am naturally lean, but i want to hit 165lb - and i have never been more determined in my life. as i said, i've literally moved to thailand to reach that goal.

diet: i've done my own research, and i now know about what i should be eating and when. i plan to eat 6 times/day, every 3 hours. all i eat (and have done for quite some time) is fish, chicken, pasta, rice, fruit and veg. it's so easy to do in thailand - very cheap and very available. now i know i need appx. 150g/day of protien, about 25g/meal - but how do i work that out? how much protien is in that meal i just eat of 4 giant prawns, rice, sushi and veg??
also, carbs i know they come from rice, pasta and such, but how much and how do i work that out?

my training: ok, i know now i need to do low reps, and high weights - especially squats and deadlifts (i'll get the guys in the gym to help me with those two, never done them before). no problem, but can anyone point me in the right direction of a good workout for, say, my first three months. i found one on the net (day 1 chest, triceps,abs, shoulders day 2 back etc. etc.) but no specific exercises.

supplements: i think i have this one sussed. MYOPLEX for protein, UDOS oil blend/flaxseed oil for fats, EAS antdioxent and finally multivitamins. sound about right??

i know this is a bit of a long post, and thanks for bearing with me so far - what can i say?? if you're ever in thailand, i'll show you the time of your life!!!!

and for those interested, this is why i've gone from working out "a bit" to really being focused and determined. about 3 weeks ago, a guy gave me a good kick-in. now don't get me wrong, i'm not in this to be "hard", but he was a short chap, but well built, and as he was pounding my head in, he just kept going on about what a "skinny @~@~@~" i was, and from that night on, i vowed that no-one, NO-ONE, would EVER call me skinny again. that is a true story.

thanks in advance,
david

Tryska
01-29-2002, 02:05 PM
you moved to thailand for the sole purpose of gaining weight?

where are you from originally?

welcome to the board.

oh..and uhhh......

:windup:

oi.

David In Asia
01-29-2002, 02:27 PM
LOL Tryska! fair question. i'll expand a bit. already lived in thailand, but i've moved to a different area. i don't know nobody here, dont want to, no distractions - just focus on getting a body that nobody can call skinny anymore. what happened that time has really effected me - dont know why, just has.

and i come from UK.

Tryska
01-29-2002, 02:32 PM
are you one of those backpackin types? (those are hte only people i know who visit thailand) well them and military. cool country though.

but cool as long as you didn't just take off and move to thailand for the sole purpose of gaining weight it's all good. I wa shtinking to myself..."damn..he's real serious about this weight-gain stuff. that's hardcore."

i'm not sure how giant giant thai prawns are, but let's put it this way...a piece of beef the size of a deck of cards (3-4 ozs) is about 25g of protein if i recall correctly....don't know how that helps if at all.

in your case, i would actually do a 40/30/30 ratio for bulking. (40%carbs, 30%protein, 30% fat). I think that would def help you put on some weight. and make sure oyu are eating over your maintenance level in calories too. you are eating over maintenance right?

David In Asia
01-29-2002, 02:43 PM
me?? backpackin type??? :D hardly. it's just a cool country, and cheap and means i can focus on this. as i said, i already lived in thailand, i've just moved to a different part to do what i want to do - and yes, i am real serious.

maintenence level in calories??? do what??

Tryska
01-29-2002, 05:03 PM
awww....backpackers fascinate me. i'd do it, if i had some spare money lying around.

maintenance calories = the number of calories necessary to maintain your current weight. you need to start eating at least 500 calories above that.....how much are you eating now?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-30-2002, 05:47 AM
Hey david, great to see you've done your homework before asking a question.:thumbup:

firstly, for your nutrient needs go to the USDA (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl)

For your caloric needs, go check out these fitness calculators (http://users2.ev1.net/~yasso/gear/FAQ/calculators.html) and check out this site (http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htm) for your activity needs. These will help you work out your maintenance calorie level. Try and go for 200-500 over this each day.

Good choices for food, but go to wannabebig.com homepage andread the ian duckett articles on diet for further food choices and read anthony's article on putting the caloric needs into practise. You'll learn sufficiently from these.

For training, great to see you wanna squat and deadlift. I don't plan on giving you a straight out routine to follow, but i suggest you read over the journals in the journal forum and see what people are doing.

What i will say for now is that you're best off using 2-3 exercises per bodypart and about 2 sets per exercise. You don;t have to but it's a good rule of thumb. Also, train 4 days a week max. Right now for you 3 days a week is probably a good start. it's good to leave a day between sessions for rest also. This will aid in growth and recouperation for your next workout.

Your choice of supplements looks fine IMO. Save your protein for after your training sessions. You may wanna eat extra carbs with it for after training tho.

Get back to us when you decide upon a training schedue and rotuine.

David In Asia
01-30-2002, 11:13 AM
thanks all. think i have everything i need to now.
cheers.

and tryska.....
:hump:

oi oi!!

Tryska
01-30-2002, 11:17 AM
:eek:

oi!

*lol* ;)

big
01-30-2002, 01:49 PM
:whip:

wbb is the single most effective way to gain muscle. Good luck. :)

Alex.V
01-30-2002, 01:51 PM
Plus, you can buy the best supps in Thailand.

orangecrush
01-30-2002, 03:11 PM
What is WBB?

PowerManDL
01-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Its a wrestling federation.

Most of us are members.

Why else would we have silly names like this if we weren't wrestlers?

Tryska
01-30-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Belial
Plus, you can buy the best supps in Thailand.

heh. don't think that didn't cross my mind.