PDA

View Full Version : Stamina During Running

Skinny_DiezeL
07-23-2006, 09:18 AM
When I run, I've never had great stamina. I always end up feeling sick to stomach, winded really bad, etc. Sometimes I end up getting cottonmouth and sweating bad when I push too hard. But when I ride mountain bike, I can ride 10-20 miles, hard, before breaking a sweat. Was wondering if there is anything I could do to increase stamina during running?

Thexile
07-23-2006, 09:35 AM
samething with me. but i dont get sick to my stomach.

I do however feel the left side of my stomach getting like 'hard' or w/e idk what it is.

idk but bikes... i guess are just more fun. maybe.. running is pretty boring, unless your running from the cops or from getting ur ass beat.

Hobart
07-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Running sucks, theres no easy way around it. The best way to get more stamina is just run more conditioned you will be. Theres no way around it, you just have to do it. The football conditioning test for my team is across the field and back under 18 seconds with 25 second rest and you do that 20 times. It straight up sucks.

Anthony
07-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Improve your fitness. HIIT is a good place to start.

Denktank22
07-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Bikers and runners have a significantly different VO2 max (maximum intake of oxygen during excersize). Bikers have a higher VO2 max while biking but when a trained biker attempts to run, it is much more difficult for him, due to muscles used in running that arent used in biking, such as stabilizer muscles which are used for balance. This goes for experienced runners who try to make the switch to biking. Basically, you just need more experience in running and it will get easier. But if you like the bike, stick with it, the are both equally as good, especially if you are biking 20-30 miles. But if you really arent sweating, you need to drink more water.

SwoleSam
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Hey man, starting off running can be tough. Heck, I had shin splints for a week or so when I first started. What worked for me was starting off with 15 minutes low/moderate intensity and then gradually increasing my intensity for that same amount of time until I felt comfortable the entire 15 minutes.

Eventually I kept increasing time, and then the intensity for that same amount of time. Keep your nutrition in check too.

My blood pressure and mood improved quite a bit, so I think it is worth working on.

Skinny_DiezeL
07-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Improve your fitness. HIIT is a good place to start.

its weird, its hard to get me winded working the bags, sparring, rolling, swimming, etc. everything else is pretty good shape, just the running sucks...wtf??
:scratch:

Anthony
07-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Well, if your wind is great on everything that is important to you, who cares about running. It's not mandatory, unless you plan to run from a fight. :p

Either way, it sounds like you haven't found your pace. Give us an example of speed/distance and how long it takes for you to gas.

MixmasterNash
07-25-2006, 09:12 AM
When I run, I've never had great stamina. I always end up feeling sick to stomach, winded really bad, etc. Sometimes I end up getting cottonmouth and sweating bad when I push too hard. But when I ride mountain bike, I can ride 10-20 miles, hard, before breaking a sweat. Was wondering if there is anything I could do to increase stamina during running?
I also have this problem.

No issues on a bike, no issues with HIIT, no issues hiking 20 miles, no issues with soccer.

Ironically, I was a xc runner in high school (but I always sucked).

I think some people really aren't suited, physiologically speaking, to the pace/exertion level of running at a constant speed for long distances. We can train and improve this, of course, but we'll never be well suited to it. As a result, we will probably never enjoy it, either.

Get your cardio in other ways that you like more.

the.powerhouse
05-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Invest in a watch that meassures ur HR while u run. I always though I was **** at running, but I was just running at a pace that was way outside of my zone. Once u start running at ur pace you will see a quick increase in speed, along with a well improved HR