PDA

View Full Version : Starting to train solo

VikingWarlord
07-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Alright, I haven't been really into lifting in about the last 8 years or so. I'm going to get back into it within the next week (clearing out personal business first) and will be aiming for lean bulk, major fat reduction, and raw power as my goals.

I'm not really looking for advice on routines, but since I'll be doing this alone, I'm looking for advice on getting started, maintaining motivation and facing problems with being forced to train without a partner or coach.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

LivinItUp
07-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Alright, I haven't been really into lifting in about the last 8 years or so. I'm going to get back into it within the next week (clearing out personal business first) and will be aiming for lean bulk, major fat reduction, and raw power as my goals.

I'm not really looking for advice on routines, but since I'll be doing this alone, I'm looking for advice on getting started, maintaining motivation and facing problems with being forced to train without a partner or coach.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Typically Clean Bulk and major fat reduction won't go together. It is definately possible for you starting out, but it won't last forever. You may see that you're adding on that muscle but not losing a whole lot of fat. Cutting will mean losing fat and maintaining muscle. Bulking would mean to gain muscle and fat. These are things you will see down the road, don't worry about it yet!

I don't know I am not huge on motivation because weightlifting is just in me, I am going to do it rather I want to or not. But there are some great articles if you search around, and videos help...search jordanbcool as username and click more videos. There's two good ones to watch.

Well, just getting this started, it's not much.

VikingWarlord
07-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Typically Clean Bulk and major fat reduction won't go together. It is definately possible for you starting out, but it won't last forever. You may see that you're adding on that muscle but not losing a whole lot of fat. Cutting will mean losing fat and maintaining muscle. Bulking would mean to gain muscle and fat. These are things you will see down the road, don't worry about it yet!

I don't know I am not huge on motivation because weightlifting is just in me, I am going to do it rather I want to or not. But there are some great articles if you search around, and videos help...search jordanbcool as username and click more videos. There's two good ones to watch.

Well, just getting this started, it's not much.

Well, I guess I should give a little more information in order to have you understand more what I'm looking for.

I'm planning to start with a major cut, since I'm about 285 at ~31% BF. This weight level and mass distribution is pretty unhealthy, and that's the situation I'm looking to rectify first and foremost and it seems like I should be able to go through a big cut without hurting my ability to make big gains later.

Honestly, I'm not sure what my ultimate goals are aside from fat reduction and being as strong as I can be. I know that bulking doesn't necessarily affect strength, but I would like to actually balance out what I've got now.

LivinItUp
07-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Well, I guess I should give a little more information in order to have you understand more what I'm looking for.

I'm planning to start with a major cut, since I'm about 285 at ~31% BF. This weight level and mass distribution is pretty unhealthy, and that's the situation I'm looking to rectify first and foremost and it seems like I should be able to go through a big cut without hurting my ability to make big gains later.

Honestly, I'm not sure what my ultimate goals are aside from fat reduction and being as strong as I can be. I know that bulking doesn't necessarily affect strength, but I would like to actually balance out what I've got now.

Yep, you can definately get much stronger going through an inital cut. You'll also learn better form. Well for cuts people usually stick with lower reps and higher weight, it'll tell the body to hold onto the muscle better. I currently don't have any goals either, other than becoming as big and cut as I possibly can. For me, it is simply a way of life now.I guess you could say my ultimate goal is to be bigger than arnie, lol. I've got a ways to go, standing 6'5 i've got more room to pack on the muscle. You're goals are solid enough!

You should get some awesome results, just try to not look at "weight" as the main indicator if you'll be lifting heavy, which I recommend. Muscle is going to weigh more than fat, and the muscle is a good thing, it's going to burn up fat and raise you're metabolism. I'd go off of looks moreso, and you WILL notice weight change anyway.

Music is my primary motivation, I don't like to let my mind go idle too much heh. I put myself elsewhere as well, so I can actually lift to exhaustion now or to the point I aim for, yet I can sprint out of the gym without being winded right after. It's kinda hard to explain. After a while, you may know what I mean.

Try you're hardest to let it become a part of you're lifestyle rather than something you are trying to achieve immediately. It'll make you much more pleased when you DO notice the results or others noticing for you.

Hm, I hope I worded this correctly, that's all I got for now :redface:

VikingWarlord
07-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Yep, you can definately get much stronger going through an inital cut. You'll also learn better form. Well for cuts people usually stick with lower reps and higher weight, it'll tell the body to hold onto the muscle better. I currently don't have any goals either, other than becoming as big and cut as I possibly can. For me, it is simply a way of life now.I guess you could say my ultimate goal is to be bigger than arnie, lol. I've got a ways to go, standing 6'5 i've got more room to pack on the muscle. You're goals are solid enough!

You should get some awesome results, just try to not look at "weight" as the main indicator if you'll be lifting heavy, which I recommend. Muscle is going to weigh more than fat, and the muscle is a good thing, it's going to burn up fat and raise you're metabolism. I'd go off of looks moreso, and you WILL notice weight change anyway.

Music is my primary motivation, I don't like to let my mind go idle too much heh. I put myself elsewhere as well, so I can actually lift to exhaustion now or to the point I aim for, yet I can sprint out of the gym without being winded right after. It's kinda hard to explain. After a while, you may know what I mean.

Try you're hardest to let it become a part of you're lifestyle rather than something you are trying to achieve immediately. It'll make you much more pleased when you DO notice the results or others noticing for you.

Hm, I hope I worded this correctly, that's all I got for now :redface:

I'm not using the weight as a determining factor for change so much as the BF%...which no one can argue MUST change. I'd be more than happy to be my current weight at 13-15%. ;)

Reading the forums here, all the stuff I used to know in high school is starting to come back. I'm hoping to have my personal crap taken care of so I can actually get into the gym starting next week. That's my goal.

I also need to get an mp3 player. I can't think of anything more appropriate for lifting than heavy metal.