PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen

BigRic
07-24-2006, 08:30 AM
I know it's important to keep a positive Nitrogen Balance, but what is it exactly that nitrogen does? articles or studies as evidence would be key.

Thanks in Advance
Eric

ddegroff
07-24-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't have study but this should do:

http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Protein.html

Positive nitrogen balance occurs when the total nitrogen excreted in the urine, feces and sweat is less than the total nitrogen ingested. Positive nitrogen balance must exist for new tissue to be synthesized. When dietary protein intake or total energy intake is inadequate to maintain tissues total nitrogen balance, negative nitrogen balance occurs and new tissue is unable to be synthesized. When the body is in nitrogen balance, protein and energy intake is sufficient to maintain tissue protein needs and the amounts of nitrogen entering and exiting the body are equal.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-24-2006, 01:54 PM
My nutrition teacher said "bodybuilders are in a better nitrogen balance than the average joe". In fact, he's the only nutrition teacher I've ever had that didn't bag on bodybuilders. :bang:

ddegroff
07-24-2006, 02:38 PM
In fact, he's the only nutrition teacher I've ever had that didn't bag on bodybuilders

Man your lucky Scarz, almost every one of my nutrition teachers rips on BB's every chance they get.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-24-2006, 03:22 PM
He also said things like "bodybuilders are well-nourished because of the amount of calories they consume (if those calories are nutrient-dense calories)" and "the BMI is irrelevant to bodybuilders". Yeah...horrible guy.