PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight/belly fat

Tacoma
07-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Okay, first post here.

I'm coming off a major surgery, just getting back into the swing of things at the gym and stuff. In the down time since surgery, I haven't been eating right, and have developed that stubborn ring of fat around my midsection. Didn't go anywhere else, just there. I've never really had to worry about it before, so I am unsure of the best way to go about losing it. My friend told me diet was the key and I am open to any suggestions you guys might have. Help?

Eszekial
07-24-2006, 08:44 AM
The stickies contain the answers you need!

Good luck and God bless!

Congrats on taking the first step of educating yourself!

Tacoma
07-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Stickies? Not sure what you are talking about.

Yeah, it has been a long long road just to get back to this point, but what doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Eszekial
07-24-2006, 08:53 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65848

Link to the stickies :D

I personally used the diet linked to in the 2nd post to go from 20% bodyfat to about 13% bodyfat before I moved on to a more advanced diet (or maybe just more complicated?!).

My bodyfat is probably lower than 12.5% that I have in my sig, but i want to wait to get bod-poded before I change it.

Tacoma
07-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Awesome, thanks.

I am probably around 20% right now, which is ridiculous for me. All my life I have been in the 12-14% range, but basically not doing anything for the better part of a year screwed that all up.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Why did you eat like crap after surgery? That's sort of a vital time to be eating healthy. o.O

Tacoma
07-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, I died twice during the six weeks I was in the hospital, for 8 months after I had a PICC line in my arm going directly to my heart, attached to a pump on my hip that gave me six doses of antibiotics each day, then I had a blood clot which restricted a ton of foods I could eat (mostly vegetables, because the vitamin K in them is a natural coagulant), and then I had a heart valve replaced due to the damage done from the infection I had. Basically I wasn't really too concerned about eating at that point, the whole time I was on IV meds I didn't hold it down very long anyway, but due to all that my metabolism took a nosedive. Then after I got healthy enough to be off the IV, I was pretty depressed and, as you may have heard, that doesn't lead to healthy eating habits. Thanks for asking though.

RedSpikeyThing
07-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, I died twice during the six weeks I was in the hospital, for 8 months after I had a PICC line in my arm going directly to my heart, attached to a pump on my hip that gave me six doses of antibiotics each day, then I had a blood clot which restricted a ton of foods I could eat (mostly vegetables, because the vitamin K in them is a natural coagulant), and then I had a heart valve replaced due to the damage done from the infection I had. Basically I wasn't really too concerned about eating at that point, the whole time I was on IV meds I didn't hold it down very long anyway, but due to all that my metabolism took a nosedive. Then after I got healthy enough to be off the IV, I was pretty depressed and, as you may have heard, that doesn't lead to healthy eating habits. Thanks for asking though.

Uh I guess that's fair.

But seriously: OH SH!T that's one hell of a story. Congratulations on coming so far and trying to get back in shape!

To answer your OP: you can't spot reduce (ie burn fat in one place). You lose weight all over and your body decides what comes off first. In a nutshell, eat less that you need to keep your bodyweight stable (maintenance calories), eat at least 1 g/lb LBM (lean body mass), and lift as heavy as possible. Read the stickies and you'll learn much much more!

Good luck!

Mercuryblade
07-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Well, I died twice during the six weeks I was in the hospital,

Wow, I thought that was going to be some kind of metaphor, and then I read on...

Built
07-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Tacoma - yikes!

Welcome back from the dead to the living. Let me know what I can do to help.

seK
07-24-2006, 08:18 PM
wow tough course of events.

Has your doctor restricted anything on your diet or workout routine?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Well, I died twice during the six weeks I was in the hospital, for 8 months after I had a PICC line in my arm going directly to my heart, attached to a pump on my hip that gave me six doses of antibiotics each day, then I had a blood clot which restricted a ton of foods I could eat (mostly vegetables, because the vitamin K in them is a natural coagulant), and then I had a heart valve replaced due to the damage done from the infection I had. Basically I wasn't really too concerned about eating at that point, the whole time I was on IV meds I didn't hold it down very long anyway, but due to all that my metabolism took a nosedive. Then after I got healthy enough to be off the IV, I was pretty depressed and, as you may have heard, that doesn't lead to healthy eating habits. Thanks for asking though.Good lord, man!

I'm glad you're ok. :(