PDA

View Full Version : Howz my diet? need some advice

j-dearden
07-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey

was just wondering what u guys think of my diet? ive been eating this routine for a while now but have noticed no gains for a while. im not no body builder but i lift regular for sport reasons and obviously to gain some muscle. im looking to gain mass.

meal 1 - 9:00am

-large bowl of oats or 4 weetabix wiv skimmed milk
-1 protein shake wiv skimmed milk
1 tbsp Omega oil (one a day thing)

- contains omegas 3,6,9 flax seed oil, cod liver oil etc.

----go work 10:00 - 4:30----------

meal 2 - 12:00

-1 can of tuna
-2 slices of wholemeal bread
-blob of mayo in tuna
-salad

-1 protein shake with water

meal 3 - 3:00

-tub of cottage cheese

(any advixce here for source of complex carbs would be great, i tend to have an oat bar containing 30g of carbs, but they do have quite abit of sugar in them, remeber i am at work have no cooking facilities, if i was at home id tend to have a jacket potatoe with it.)

meal 4 - 6:00

-choose 1 protein source depends how i feel ;) - chicken, lean red meat, fish etc

-serving of boiled potatoes or other complex carb (brown rice pasta etc)

-veggies, tend to eat the following,

broccli
corn
carrots
coli
green beans
cabbage etc

train 7:30 - 8:30

meal 5 - post workout meal within 20 mins of finishing training

2x bannas, glass of fresh orange juice, 1 serving protein shake

meal 6 - an hour after training

jacket potatoe with 1 can of tuna

meal 7 - 11:00/11:30

5 egg omlette

2 eggs
3 egg whites

this is just a sample of one of my daily eating routines, like i said is this enough or could it do with some tweeking say more protein or more/less carbs etc. to be quite honest i dont think im getting enough good fats, if so how could i increase this.

cheers ;)

ShockBoxer
07-24-2006, 12:03 PM
If it's good fats you want throw in a quarter or half cup of peanuts. That's an easy 200-400 calories.

j-dearden
07-24-2006, 12:07 PM
How does the diet look at the moment for building good quility muscle regardless of good fats, il give that a go tho with the nuts.

cheers for the advice

Built
07-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Hey

was just wondering what u guys think of my diet? ive been eating this routine for a while now but have noticed no gains for a while. im not no body builder but i lift regular for sport reasons and obviously to gain some muscle. im looking to gain mass.

meal 1 - 9:00am

-large bowl of oats or 4 weetabix wiv skimmed milk
-1 protein shake wiv skimmed milk
1 tbsp Omega oil (one a day thing)

- contains omegas 3,6,9 flax seed oil, cod liver oil etc.
Avoid the flax oil. Ditch the balanced oil entirely and sub in 10g fish oil. Switch to higher fat milk to get in saturated animal fat and boost calories.

----go work 10:00 - 4:30----------

meal 2 - 12:00

-1 can of tuna
-2 slices of wholemeal bread
-blob of mayo in tuna
-salad

-1 protein shake with water

meal 3 - 3:00

-tub of cottage cheese

(any advixce here for source of complex carbs would be great, i tend to have an oat bar containing 30g of carbs, but they do have quite abit of sugar in them, remeber i am at work have no cooking facilities, if i was at home id tend to have a jacket potatoe with it.)
Bake up a bunch of potatoes or sweet potatoes ahead of time (I wrap mine in foil to keep them moist), you can just nuke it warm to eat it.

meal 4 - 6:00

-choose 1 protein source depends how i feel ;) - chicken, lean red meat, fish etc

-serving of boiled potatoes or other complex carb (brown rice pasta etc)

-veggies, tend to eat the following,

broccli
corn
carrots
coli
green beans
cabbage etc

train 7:30 - 8:30

meal 5 - post workout meal within 20 mins of finishing training

2x bannas, glass of fresh orange juice, 1 serving protein shake

Ditch the fruit from post workout - switch to dextrose or combined dextrose/maltodextrin.

Ditch fruit juice entirely from your diet. Eat fruit, donít drink it - nutritionally, juice is not much different from coca cola.

meal 6 - an hour after training

jacket potatoe with 1 can of tuna

meal 7 - 11:00/11:30

5 egg omlette

2 eggs
3 egg whites

this is just a sample of one of my daily eating routines, like i said is this enough or could it do with some tweeking say more protein or more/less carbs etc. to be quite honest i dont think im getting enough good fats, if so how could i increase this.

cheers ;)
Fats: natural peanut butter, raw nuts, olive oil, butter, egg yolks, steak, avocados Ö

www.fitday.com is your friend. Enter what you eat, post up the macros.

j-dearden
07-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Cheers for the advise, when i said fruit juice i use a juicer and 2 oranges as u say fruit juice in cartons contain alot of water well from concentrate ne waayz. does this seem enough food to be eating to gain muscle?

again cheers for the advice

Built
07-24-2006, 02:34 PM
It doesn't matter if it's freshly squeezed or not - don't drink juice. Eat fruit, but don't drink it.

Fructose post workout isn't when you want it - get away from the post workout juice and get some dextrose/maltodextrin. It's cheap, and the right sugar for that time.

j-dearden
07-24-2006, 02:38 PM
So instead of having the 2 bananas and juice within 20 mins try some dextrose, i am right in thinking that it is important to consume simple carbs within 20 mins of finishing training arnt i?

Built
07-24-2006, 02:55 PM
You want a fast simple carb (with your lowfat protein) to stimulate an insulin response post workout, correct. Helps shuttle nutrients to your now preferentially insulin sensitive muscles, also blunts cortisol.

That's why you DON'T want too much fructose - wrong sugar for this task. Eat your fruit elsewhere in your day, although ironically, a gram of vitamin C at this time won't do you a bit of harm.

j-dearden
07-24-2006, 03:04 PM
So besides from the issue with my post workout meal (fruit issue) everything else seems to look fine no need to alter anything else in my diet?

where can i get dextrose from? any seppliment shop?

Con
07-24-2006, 03:09 PM
I got mine from here: http://supplementdirect.com/

its coming thursday, so 4 working days and it cost me 22 or 23 dollars and i plan on it lasting like 4 to 6 months.

About the rest of diet, i dont see anything too bad(or bad at all really)

j-dearden
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Cheers for that, jus been doin some reading on dextrose and was wondering how the hell do you take it most articles i hacve read say it is jus sugar and to be honest im not realy big on drinking sugar to be honest, or does it not taste like sugar.

Mercuryblade
07-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Mix in dextrose with your post workout protein shake, it tastes like a less sweet version of sugar, I'm really not big on sweets either, if you think its too sweet add some plain coco powder(the unsweetened kind) to your shake.
Yeah and you're diet looks very good, if you are gaining weight from it, then stick to it. It looks a little calorie-light IMHO, but if you're putting on the pounds then down worry about it.