PDA

View Full Version : Question on my pre-w/o nutrition

LittleBB
07-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Okay, I have read the stickie regarding pre & post nutrition. This might seem redundant, but I have a question still:help:. I usually have 1/3 oatmeal with 1 scoop protein, 2 tbsp soymilk, 1/2 tbsp flaxmeal 2 hours before workout, as I am slow digestor. At times I will have 1/2 banana 20 min. before. I have a workout partner and by the time the workout & cardio are done, it's been about 2 hours before I get something to eat. I have tried a 1/2 scoop protein with 1/4 scoop powdered Gatorade during, but still felt a bit empty and depleted. Granted this was Sunday, leg day. Today is heavy chest and back. Am I on the right track? I'm thinkin' up the protein and Gatorade during? I don't want to start bonking againtuttut today. If you would please help me out, thanks.

ddegroff
07-25-2006, 11:53 AM
It sounds like you should up the gatorade see how that feels.

manowar669
07-25-2006, 12:12 PM
It sounds like you should up the gatorade see how that feels.

Yeah, try 1/2 scoop whey, 1 scoop gatorade.

djreef
07-25-2006, 12:32 PM
....or 1 scoop whey, one scoop gatorade. From the looks of your build (avatar) I'm thinking you're not going to hold the extra calories for long.

DJ

Anthony
07-25-2006, 12:36 PM
What does the rest of your eating plan look like? What's your 2 hour routine consist of? How often do you do it (and how many full rest days per week do you get)? What do yo do for work? Just trying to get the big picture!

LittleBB
07-25-2006, 02:57 PM
What does the rest of your eating plan look like? What's your 2 hour routine consist of? How often do you do it (and how many full rest days per week do you get)? What do yo do for work? Just trying to get the big picture!
I will try to answer all your questions:

Post w/o I have been taking in taking in a complex carb & protein. Yes, I am changing this to dextrose and whey and then I will have a protein, complex carb and fibrous carb meal. 2-3 hours later lowfat cc & almonds or protein pancake with 3 egg whites, 1 tbsp protein & blueberries, dinner lean protein with a small complex carb and fibrous carb, whey/casein shake with almonds. I know I need to start plugging again into Fitday.

In the introduce yourself section I posted my split. For example today was heavy chest & back with 30 min. cardio after. Exercises & rep ranges consisted of :
Flat bench 5X5
Incline bench 3X8
Flat bench DB flies 3X10-12

Rack Pulls 5X5
T-Bar row (supinated grip) 3X8
Wide grip chin ups 4x8
then 30 min. cardio
I do have a workout partner, which sometimes can make for a longer session. I usually take Monday off for a full rest day. Work..whats that? Just kidding, right now I am between jobs, as I was in the accounting bus. for too long! I sure hope I answered your questions. I would definitely love some help out where you see fit.

LittleBB
07-25-2006, 03:01 PM
djreef, manowar669 and ddegroff, thanks for the input:thumbup:. I think I will go with 1 scoop whey and 1 scoop Gatorade and adjust from there. I sure hope it keeps me out the bonk zone!

Anthony
07-26-2006, 05:34 AM
It sounds like your fat intake is low.

Why does it take you 1.5 hours to do 6 exercises?

Why are you doing 30 minutes of SS cardio afterwards?

Why are you doing 30+ minutes of interval/ss cardio on your off days?

It sounds like a typical low fat + high cardio routine ... maybe that's why you are bonking.

Up the fat, drop the SS cardio, replace it with 1-2 sessions of true HIIT (think 5-10 minutes max) on your off days ... and voila. Less time in the gym and better results.

djreef
07-26-2006, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=Anthony]It sounds like your fat intake is low.

It sounds like a typical low fat + high cardio routine

Up the fat, QUOTE]

Funny, I was gnawing on a big ol' heaping tablespoon of peanut butter as I was reading this.

DJ

LittleBB
07-26-2006, 10:22 AM
It sounds like your fat intake is low.

Why does it take you 1.5 hours to do 6 exercises?

Why are you doing 30 minutes of SS cardio afterwards?

Why are you doing 30+ minutes of interval/ss cardio on your off days?

It sounds like a typical low fat + high cardio routine ... maybe that's why you are bonking.

Up the fat, drop the SS cardio, replace it with 1-2 sessions of true HIIT (think 5-10 minutes max) on your off days ... and voila. Less time in the gym and better results.

1.5 hours because I have a workout partner and sometimes we have to change out the weight, which sometimes is a pain in the @**. She's 61(strong!) and has been working out for 15 years or so. She's a bit limited to her "old school" ways and had suggested the 30 min. cardio after our session.

For cardio I usually go how I feel, I don't always do the cardio. I do take Monday as a full rest day. Regardless, I agree with you on the "over cardio". I felt like it might be hampering my progress, but my workout partner didn't think it was too much. Yea, I know.... I followed her lead:rolleyes: I will revamp my cardio.

Below is an example of a "somewhat" typical day of my diet. It's a bit off, but I will post one that is more accurate when I get my "ish" together and post into Fitday. I have been feeling like my skin, hair, etc. were REALLY dry. I will up my fats too and see how it goes. Thanks Anthony for the advice, as I will definitely will change up my cardio & fats and hope for no more bonking:)!
Calories Eaten Today
grams cals %total
Total: 1782
Fat: 47 426 25%
Sat: 10 89 5%
Poly: 16 142 8%
Mono: 9 83 5%
Carbs: 218 737 43%
Fiber: 34 0 0%
Protein: 136 543 32%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

djreef
07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Add some raw nuts/seeds, fish oil, olive oil - you know, the healthy stuff. Eat the nuts/seeds btwn meals to help push you through to the next meal.

DJ

LittleBB
07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Add some raw nuts/seeds, fish oil, olive oil - you know, the healthy stuff. Eat the nuts/seeds btwn meals to help push you through to the next meal.

DJ
Yes, I looove almonds and walnuts. I do take in daily fish oil too. I just was unsure of the amount of fats my body needed. I'll have no problem upping the fats:strong::D.

MagnaSephiroth
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I am also wondering about pre wo meals.

I read in a magazine for ideal fat burning + muscle growth, you should avoid most carbs and sugar, then have a good amount of sugar afterwards to speed the transportation to the muscles.

So I tried this, and just had a water + scoop of protien before. I didn't feel I had as much in the tank when I went to the gym a few days after starting this, so I decided today to eat normal, just try to cut back on the sugar (today I had milk and oats for breakfast)

So what really should you avoid in a pre workout meal? Sugar? Carbs?

Anthony
07-26-2006, 11:59 AM
47g is pretty close to ideal for your size, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to increase them and lower your carbs. My gf is the exact same size as you, eats roughly the same calories (1800), but she eats more fats and less carbs.

It might fix your prob, might not, but it's easy enough to implement and won't take long to figure out if it's working or not.

djreef
07-26-2006, 12:50 PM
So what really should you avoid in a pre workout meal? Sugar? Carbs?

Never go into battle without ammo. Sugars are OK if you consume them immediately before you workout, or during your workout. Go with complex carbs if you have to wait. The oatmeal whey thing sounds like a good plan.

DJ

MagnaSephiroth
07-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Never go into battle without ammo. Sugars are OK if you consume them immediately before you workout, or during your workout. Go with complex carbs if you have to wait. The oatmeal whey thing sounds like a good plan.

DJ

The only problem is the sugar thats in the milk, but thats nothing to be concerned with is it? (I eat the oats/milk about an hour or so before I actually get to the gym, and the protein shake closer to 15 minuts before i get there.)

LittleBB
07-26-2006, 01:31 PM
47g is pretty close to ideal for your size, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to increase them and lower your carbs. My gf is the exact same size as you, eats roughly the same calories (1800), but she eats more fats and less carbs.

It might fix your prob, might not, but it's easy enough to implement and won't take long to figure out if it's working or not.

Thanks Anthony;) , I"ll keep track and time will tell.

djreef
07-26-2006, 01:32 PM
It's only a problem if you're lactose intolerant. Milk sugar breaks down slowly. Sounds good.

DJ