PDA

View Full Version : About To Give Up - Need Advice

atreyuballa87
07-25-2006, 09:25 PM
First of all its been quite a while since ive been on WBB forums. Its also been a couple of months since ive lifted as well. This is partually due to reasons out of my control (family death in may and operation in june), and just lack of motivation to get back into it. If anyone somehow remembers me at all, I was lifting fine for a couple of months before all of this, and I enjoyed it too. However, I have been battling chronic stomach problems that do not allow for me to follow any type of weightlifting diet (or normal food diet for that matter). Anyways, since I cannot follow these diets I am doubting that I will ever be able to put on muscle and get stronger like I once hoped for. I tried posting on the nutrition forum about this but it didnt really work out to well despite getting a few replies. Any advice is greatly appreciated. If it helps, I cannot tolerate any types of sugars (lactose, fructose, sugar alcohols, barely aspartame), and I usually do not eat more than 2,000 calories a day just to keep stomach problems to a minimum. That means no protein bars, shakes, high calorie stuff, vitamins, protein powders etc. and the list goes on and on and on.

Built
07-25-2006, 09:28 PM
List the proteins you can eat.
List the fats you can eat.
List the carbs you can eat.

We'll start there.

atreyuballa87
07-25-2006, 09:34 PM
a large part of my diet consists of

cheerios at like 11am
no lunch
dinner at 3pm if i work that night or 5/6pm if i dont - streakums, chicken pattys, plain burgers (turkey or beef), plain grilled chicken breast or wings, french fries, mac and cheese
snacks - TONS of low fat pretzels

those are the only foods i really eat these days that i found have a minimum effect on my stomach, and are basically what i was trying to lift with. Also problems with even these foods arise as a rarely have time to make them, and over last 6 months i am commonly feeling reflux right below my chest, in the middle making it even harder to eat before going to work at night. as a good friend of mine once recently said "man, god hates you"

i figured this would get moved lol...i guess it really isnt much of a journal lol. more of a nutritional rant.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Have you been to an allergist/doctor about this?

Eszekial
07-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Sounds like you have an ulcer there hero.

Go do your doctor and get it taken care of.

You should be back in eating form in no time.

atreyuballa87
07-25-2006, 10:02 PM
i was diagnosed with IBS in October of 2003 after suffering in silence for nearly a whole year. This was after the stool test, bloodword, and colonoscopy all came back clear. It has only been since like April 2006 that I started having even more complex problems that feel like acid reflux. I am also active on IBS boards, www.ibsgroup.org and just posted about 10 minutes ago to see if others recgonized it. And also, just to state it and help support awareness a bit for others, IBS is a real condition that is not just in the head like it was thought to be for decades. :)

Eszekial
07-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Erp, suxs man...!

nothing a little bit of "this flesh a tomb" and "ain't love grand" can't fix, yeah?

or my personal favorite "Ex's & Oh's"

Wish i could offer you some advice other than my favorite tracks lol!

atreyuballa87
07-25-2006, 10:05 PM
atreyu? one of my favorite bands. just saw them live at ozzfest too :) through all my stomach pains it does help to listen to them lol

Eszekial
07-25-2006, 10:06 PM
atreyu?
One and only.

atreyuballa87
07-25-2006, 10:20 PM
i really dont wanna g ive up lifting because i do enjoy it, but if im not gonna g ain anytthing from it then i dont wanna be wasting my time...i know it seems like alot of moaning and such but im sorry and cant help it....ive been through so much these past 3.5 years.

ShockBoxer
07-26-2006, 05:14 AM
I've got IBS with dumping syndrome and, even though I've just retooled my diet, I'm still getting my maintenance calories in (with less pain). Here's what I'm eating:

Low-Sugar quaker instant oatmeal - yes, plain old steel roll would be even better but I can't stand the taste
ON Whey - whey protein doesn't agitate my stomach
Soy Milk - One glass a day, mostly for the nutritional value
Chicken (white) - Dark and skinned chicken is evil for us, but white chicken well cooked is not
Salmon - Fish is good
Corn chips - Tostitos (plain only!) - no sugar, no fat. low sodium - you won't miss potato chips
White potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Tortilla bread -- stuff it full of the salmon and some lettuce. Add in some virgin olive oil. It's tasty.
Vegtables - They're a pain to digest but you have to eat them. Make sure you eat them with something else from the 'good' list, such as tortilla bread or a potato

And, MOST IMPORTANT I've just learned, a soluble fiber supplement. I don't like metamucil but I'm liking Benefiber.

Everything there is from the good list (or for the meats is unlisted, which is 'neutral').

When it comes time to bulk I'll add in some well ground peanuts or natural peanut butter and some extra teaspoons of olive oil.

If 1987 is your birthday I've been dealing with IBS longer than you've been alive. It sucks but you have to play the hand you're dealt. Don't let it rule you... it's painful but not deadly (unless like me you lose consciousness during severe attacks and plow your car off the road).

The most important thing is to not do anything you're not willing to pay for. Everything has its price. If you want that slice of cake from time to time then - EAT IT. Just be aware that you WILL feel like **** later and be willing to accept. Same for steak, ice cream, and everything else good in life.

Don't let IBS rule you.

Edit: As for the acid reflux... I get that from time to time too. Both tums and pepto work nicely to settle mine down but you might need a stronger antacid. Ask your doctor about a prescription strength antacid if it bothers you on a daily basis. Also, don't slouch or lay down after eating.

atreyuballa87
07-26-2006, 10:25 AM
yeah when i was lifting i was eating many of those things you mentioned. around the same time i started to lift though was when i first got symptoms of acid reflux/ulcer/whateveriswrong so it was with limited success. during a normal day i barely eat say around 2,000 calories or else its gonna get worse ya know.

ive been taking metamucil for 3 years and while it usually helps greatly, nothing is perfect and i often find myself looking for alternative ways to cope.

ShockBoxer
07-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Dicetel helped my day to day symptoms quite a bit. I only discontinued taking it because it was unable to do a thing for my particular complication... and the complication is what I wanted to treat most. When I was taking dicetel (that's a brand name... I can't remember the medical ingredient) it took a LOT of steak to overload it and trash me.

There are some medications out there for people with IBS without complications. Talk to your doctor some more... but mostly you have to stick to the diet, as crappy as it is. Remember, your body doesn't know what a calorie is... if you find food that doesn't bother you, truly doesn't bother you, then any amount of it SHOULDN'T affect you... whether it's 1500 cals worth or 4000 cals worth. Now, there are a lot of borderline foods, like 95% of all whole grains and vegtables, that WILL nuke you in mass quantities.

Stop worrying or fearing your IBS: stress only makes it worse. If you like to lift, lift. Don't go for the big bulks or severe cuts - keep your diet moderate and think big picture. It's hard, I know, but you don't HAVE to become an 8% ripped monster or a 30%+ powerlifting beast to enjoy this sport.

atreyuballa87
07-26-2006, 11:04 AM
i agree i dont worry about the big bulks and cuts, im just trying to add a little bit of strength and muscle to help me with things like everyday confidence to being able to compete with friends more in good old recreational sports that we tend to throw together with the group once and a while.

knowing that, do you think a 2000-2500 calorie IBS diet will allow me to achieve the results im looking for? thats my main concern.

ShockBoxer
07-26-2006, 11:19 AM
There is only ONE way to find out. I'm on a 2000-2500 a day eating cycle myself right now to see how far I can go. If it's not far then I WILL be going to a 2250-2750 IBS diet. If that doesn't work then I'll be going to a 2500-3000 IBS diet. A second salmon burger in a tortilla shell for dinner sounds fine with me.

atreyuballa87
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
it definetely sounds like a good start. good to see someone else on here who has same problems as me. im considering reworking my entire schedule until college starts up again sept 5. maybe lift in early morning, come home get fiber and stuff in and done, work like 2-7ish then come home and eat dinner after. right now im struggling as you probaly realized lol. thanks alot for your help though i think its starting to shine new light on me

sharkall2003
07-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Think about it like this: All that work, time and effort you put into this sport will be gone if you decided to stop completely. Keep pushing ahead and that's what will make you a true weightlifter. No one ever said the lifestyle was easy, especially in your case, but it's that much more worth it having to give that much more effort.

djreef
07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
If you have acid reflux, why don't you take a proton pump inhibitor, like Nexium, or Aciphex to put out the fire? I tell you those drugs prob saved my life. I've gotten now to where I only take them when I need them, but I tell you what, until I eliminated my trigger foods I had to take them everyday. They are hella expensive without insurance, though - but if they give you your life back....

DJ

atreyuballa87
07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
the acid reflux normally only bothers me on days where i work that night. i work part time nights. i dont really notice it as much when im not at work to be honest. maybe once school starts again, i can get some kind of set work schedule like Tue/Thur/Sat and lift Mon Wed Fri ya know