PDA

View Full Version : Lunchables - Acceptable Meal?

KFeld
07-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Lower Fat Ham (Or Turkey) + Cheddar Lunchables

Calories: 380
Total Fat: 10g (5g Saturated)
Cholesterol: 35mg
Sodium: 1030mg
Total Carbohydrates: 57g (<1g Fiber, 38g Sugar)
Protein: 16g

Would this be alright as one of my 5-6 small meals daily? I checked the "What a Bodybuilder eats" thread and didnt find Ham or Turkey, Cheddar Cheese, Wheat Crackers, or Fat Free Jell-O. They sure do taste delicious though.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-25-2006, 10:30 PM
That's awful. It's jam packed with a boatload of salt and half the fat is saturated. I guess if you want to eat it, that's fine, as long as it fits into your calories for the day. But there are healthier alternatives to Lunchables.

sharkall2003
07-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Have you thought about a protein shake with two scoops of whey with some oatmeal? It would have 40+ grams protein, 27 or so carbs and it wouldn't be very high in fat. Plus you would have a good amount of fiber to help digest the food.

malkore
07-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Sodium: 1030mg - half a days sodium intake in one serving.
38g of sugar - may as well drink a soda
16g of protein - maybe enough for a small framed woman's meal...but due to all the processing, its not 16g of QUALITY protien.

Eszekial
07-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Only if you want diabetes.

Junin
07-26-2006, 10:06 AM
You guys have to be kidding. Get a grip.

Eat the lunchable.

KingWilder
07-26-2006, 10:16 AM
seriously, there are worse things you could eat...just eat the damn thing

djreef
07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
If it's all you've got, but...... as a general rule, lunch in a box is unhealthy, and gross. Learn how to cook K-Feld.

DJ

Paladyr
07-26-2006, 03:14 PM
It's not exactly healthy, but it won't kill you. Just eat it.

I know I can't stick to a 100% clean bulk. What's the point of living if I can't eat something good every so often? :-P.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-26-2006, 06:16 PM
I know I can't stick to a 100% clean bulk. What's the point of living if I can't eat something good every so often? :-P.Learn to cook and "healthy" eating will be awesome.

manowar669
07-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Lunchables?!?! Are you 8 years old?

Stick to the outside edges of the grocery store. Produce, meat/poultry/seafood/dairy, and maybe the cereal aisle (for old fashioned oats). All the other aisles are garbage.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-26-2006, 06:22 PM
All the other aisles are garbage.Why is that?

manowar669
07-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Why is that?

Okay, I'll say that some canned veggies, and of course, tuna, are ok, but most of the stuff in the center of the grocery store (all the ones I've been in) contain the processed goods. I don't regularly eat pasta, but I could accept the pasta aisle as ok.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-26-2006, 06:27 PM
You don't cook much, do you? And I'd much rather get fresh veggies than canned veggies.

manowar669
07-26-2006, 06:31 PM
??? I said produce (first), and that some canned veggies (beans) are ok. I too prefer fresh veggies to canned. I cook all the time. Grilling chicken, salmon, shrimp, turkey (whatever I can get on sale). Lots of stir fry. I do eat a lot of dairy/eggs/oats.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Oh...my bad. Well there is a LOT of crap at the store, I agree.

MagnaSephiroth
07-26-2006, 07:03 PM
There are "lunchables" that are a lot healthier. Try stuff by South Beach Diet, they have little lunchable like packs that are much better for you. (more protein, more healthy fats, and a ton less sugar)

Edit: Also, those little lunchable packs, I dont even think its real meat and cheese. :(

Slim Schaedle
07-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Only if you want diabetes.
From a lunchable?

KingWilder
07-26-2006, 07:37 PM
nobody eats "clean" all the time...and if you do...wow, you need to get out more

Stray
07-26-2006, 07:38 PM
I'd be concerned about the sodium nitrates. Not so much if it was an occasional meal but nothing I'd reccomend on a regular basis.

gains2385
07-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Meatwad: "Man, I hate this diet. Can't eat what I want, don't want what I eat. What's the point of living?"
Master Shake: "There isn't one. Hold my gun for a second."

SpecialK
07-26-2006, 08:00 PM
One every now and then isn't going to matter, but I wouldn't ever schedule my 9 PM meal (or whatever time) to always be lunchables.

Turnip
07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Wasnt there taco lunchables? I wonder how they stored the ground beef...

KingWilder
07-26-2006, 09:04 PM
I used to eat the pizza lunchables like I was gettin paid for it

MagnaSephiroth
07-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Kids eat these for lunch everyday, and they're fine...

gains2385
07-26-2006, 09:58 PM
THE PROBLEM OF OVERWEIGHT IN CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS

In 1999, 13% of children aged 6 to 11 years and 14% of adolescents aged 12 to 19 years in the United States were overweight. This prevalence has nearly tripled for adolescents in the past 2 decades.
Risk factors for heart disease, such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure, occur with increased frequency in overweight children and adolescents compared to children with a healthy weight.
Type 2 diabetes, previously considered an adult disease, has increased dramatically in children and adolescents. Overweight and obesity are closely linked to type 2 diabetes.
Overweight adolescents have a 70% chance of becoming overweight or obese adults. This increases to 80% if one or more parent is overweight or obese. Overweight or obese adults are at risk for a number of health problems including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and some forms of cancer.
The most immediate consequence of overweight as perceived by the children themselves is social discrimination. This is associated with poor self-esteem and depression.http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/obesity/calltoaction/fact_adolescents.htm

It really depends on the kid, but these things have way to much stuff in them. Right at 85 carbs and 15 grams of fat with 6 sat.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/oscarmayer/nl/LU_Pizza_Dunks.html

And I mean no offense to you Sephiroth with this post. I think that it is just crazy that amount of crap they pack in food today and give to kids, under the pretense that it is healthy...

KingWilder
07-26-2006, 10:06 PM
I swam year round and always played sports up until I came to college...I never really worried about what I was eating until now....those were the days:rolleyes:

MagnaSephiroth
07-27-2006, 01:10 AM
THE PROBLEM OF OVERWEIGHT IN CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS

In 1999, 13% of children aged 6 to 11 years and 14% of adolescents aged 12 to 19 years in the United States were overweight. This prevalence has nearly tripled for adolescents in the past 2 decades.
Risk factors for heart disease, such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure, occur with increased frequency in overweight children and adolescents compared to children with a healthy weight.
Type 2 diabetes, previously considered an adult disease, has increased dramatically in children and adolescents. Overweight and obesity are closely linked to type 2 diabetes.
Overweight adolescents have a 70% chance of becoming overweight or obese adults. This increases to 80% if one or more parent is overweight or obese. Overweight or obese adults are at risk for a number of health problems including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and some forms of cancer.
The most immediate consequence of overweight as perceived by the children themselves is social discrimination. This is associated with poor self-esteem and depression.http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/obesity/calltoaction/fact_adolescents.htm

It really depends on the kid, but these things have way to much stuff in them. Right at 85 carbs and 15 grams of fat with 6 sat.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/oscarmayer/nl/LU_Pizza_Dunks.html

And I mean no offense to you Sephiroth with this post. I think that it is just crazy that amount of crap they pack in food today and give to kids, under the pretense that it is healthy...

I agree, kids arnt getting what they should be, but I think a lunchable is very low on the scale in terms of alarming things they are eatting. Since a lunchable is very much like a "meal" kids dont tend to overeat. MOST kids, will eat just a lunchable for lunch. That limits them to what is in the box.

Of course, kids also need many calories, and an 8 year old counting calories is just stupid and not to be expected. They burn calories faster then anyone and are using it to constantly grow. There diet is completely different from ours. Should lunchables be a daily part? No, certainly not, but if a lunchable is in place of 5 candy bars, go for it. But there are better lunchables made by different companies (not called lunchables) much better too. I still think the ultimate meal for a kid is a PB and J sandwich on wheat, a glass of milk, some low fat cheezits or baked chips, some fruit/vegetables and a small treat.

Paladyr
07-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Learn to cook and "healthy" eating will be awesome.

Cooking isn't hard. Making 100% "clean" meals taste good is :-P.

Paladyr
07-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Meatwad: "Man, I hate this diet. Can't eat what I want, don't want what I eat. What's the point of living?"
Master Shake: "There isn't one. Hold my gun for a second."

OMG YES!!!! ATHF ftw!!!

Clifford Gillmore
07-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Cooking isn't hard. Making 100% "clean" meals taste good is :-P.

Not so. Cooking an excellent tasting meal is quite simple, avoiding the temtation to add more dirty carbs and fat is difficult.

ArchAngel777
07-27-2006, 10:11 AM
I would not be surprised if the worry that people cause themselves over the fretting of certain types of foods actually causes more health issues on their own. Your mind controls a lot of what you are and how you feel. Always be obsessed over every meal or always trying to eat 100% healthy is probably doing you just as much harm as that extra 5g of saturated fat you just ate.

Paladyr
07-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Not so. Cooking an excellent tasting meal is quite simple, avoiding the temtation to add more dirty carbs and fat is difficult.

Maybe not for you, but for me it is. It's really an individual thing. What tastes good to you, doesn't necessarily taste good to me.... Not to mention the fact that cooking takes flipping forever. I made a dish in the recipe forums, brown rice with ground beef and tomato sauce (and some other stuff). I was basically in the kitchen for 2 hours, between cutting up vegetables, cooking, and cleaning everything up. That blows. It did taste great though.

Paladyr
07-27-2006, 01:58 PM
I would not be surprised if the worry that people cause themselves over the fretting of certain types of foods actually causes more health issues on their own. Your mind controls a lot of what you are and how you feel. Always be obsessed over every meal or always trying to eat 100% healthy is probably doing you just as much harm as that extra 5g of saturated fat you just ate.

I think that's true. I can think of several times I was actually depressed because I know I ate something I shouldn't have!!!!

It's all a delicate balance. Gotta eat clean enough to grow, and dirty enough to stay sane!