PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cycling....

SsiK
07-26-2006, 12:43 AM
How many of you carb cycle or have tried this before during a bulking pohase, and how were your results?

I am thinking about doing this.

Built
07-26-2006, 01:11 AM
I always carb cycle - the biggest thing I can say about it is it's comfortable.

LouPac
07-26-2006, 01:18 AM
A stupid question for someone who knows: Are some people more sensitive to carbs than others?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-26-2006, 01:21 AM
A stupid question for someone who knows: Are some people more sensitive to carbs than others?Yes.

LouPac
07-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought, after examining my calories and weight fluctuations, I seem to be one of them.:mad: :mad:

Eszekial
07-26-2006, 09:04 AM
messing with your carb intake also messes with your water retention.

It's not that easy to tell if you're carb sensative or not right off the bat. It's more a long term thing.

I used Built's Carb cycling to get started and lost about 7% bodyfat on it. WOrked wonders for me, especially for a first cut.

SsiK
07-26-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm just thinking about doing this to help me clean bulk, not really sensitive, just seems like a good safe idea.

RedSpikeyThing
07-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I always carb cycle - the biggest thing I can say about it is it's comfortable.

Sounds like you aren't too thrilled with it...

LouPac
07-26-2006, 07:07 PM

It's not that easy to tell if you're carb sensative or not right off the bat. It's more a long term thing.

I used Built's Carb cycling to get started and lost about 7% bodyfat on it. WOrked wonders for me, especially for a first cut.
I've been noticing this for the past few months now. If I eat more than 200g of carbs for a couple of days in a row my weight goes up by a few lbs.

MagnaSephiroth
07-26-2006, 07:10 PM
I usually eat 200g of carbs and 200g of protein everyday... would cycling be like eating 100g one day, then 300g the next or something?

KingWilder
07-26-2006, 07:38 PM
bawhahaha right now im like 300g+ for carbs and protein and 100g+ for fats

all of my carbs are either first thing in the morning or pre/post workout though

Stray
07-26-2006, 07:41 PM

all of my carbs are either first thing in the morning or pre/post workout though

That's carb cycling basically. Eating carbs around your workout and avoiding them elsewhere.

KingWilder
07-26-2006, 07:42 PM
yup

LouPac
07-26-2006, 08:56 PM

I wish I could eat 300g of carbs!:cry:

Slim Schaedle
07-26-2006, 10:52 PM
I wish I could eat 300g of carbs!:cry:

Try 1,600. It's fun.

SsiK
07-26-2006, 11:55 PM

Can you post a link? Thanks.

SsiK
07-26-2006, 11:57 PM

How exactly do you get in 300+ g. carbs first thing in the morning and pre/post workout? In other words what do you eat exactly?

View 1
07-27-2006, 12:01 AM
I usually eat 200g of carbs and 200g of protein everyday... would cycling be like eating 100g one day, then 300g the next or something?

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=811783
The Carb Cycling Codex
Gain muscle and lose fat optimally!
by Christian Thibaudeau

KingWilder
07-27-2006, 12:05 AM
How exactly do you get in 300+ g. carbs first thing in the morning and pre/post workout? In other words what do you eat exactly?

kashi ww waffles/ww bread/ww english muffins
fruit (mainly bananas)
dextrose post workout
beans (1-2 cans)
LOTS of veggies
LOTS of milk

I DO eat some carbs during other parts of the day, but those are usually just veggies and maybe milk....the rest of it is breakfast, pre/pwo shake, pwo meal

SsiK
07-27-2006, 12:08 AM
kashi ww waffles/ww bread/ww english muffins
fruit (mainly bananas)
dextrose post workout
beans (1-2 cans)
LOTS of veggies
LOTS of milk

I DO eat some carbs during other parts of the day, but those are usually just veggies and maybe milk....the rest of it is breakfast, pre/pwo shake, pwo meal

Do you think by consuming a steady stream of carbs throughout the day equaling 300g or so would be more likely to be stored as extra fat as opposed to consuming the bulk of your carbs breakfat/pre/postworkout?

KingWilder
07-27-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure that it would have a significant difference...but everyone's body reacts differently...trial and error, find out what works for you

MagnaSephiroth
07-27-2006, 01:30 AM
Workout day or not, I have to have carbs in the morning. Too many morning foods are carb based. Milk has more c's then p's and oats, granola, blah, too much.

So when you say you eat so and so grams of carbs, are you subtracting the fiber? Cause even when I go JUST for protein, it seems very hard to keep my carb levels low (the percentage is low cause of fiber)

Built
07-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Sounds like you aren't too thrilled with it...

No - I love it. Lets me get in enough carb to be ergogenic, without stimulating freakish hunger. It works really well for me - I'm very carb sensitive, and there's no other way of eating that has allowed me so much dietary freedom (okay, other than the all-donut plan I tried earlier ... )

Ssik, read the cutting link in my sig for more detail on how I do it - I keep it really simple.

You can send me your maint cals if you want me to set up the high and low days for you.

KingWilder
07-27-2006, 07:13 AM
So when you say you eat so and so grams of carbs, are you subtracting the fiber? Cause even when I go JUST for protein, it seems very hard to keep my carb levels low (the percentage is low cause of fiber)

I just plug everything into fitday exactly how it's shown on the food label (or from nutrition info online)...so, does fitday subtract fiber from the total carbs??? I have no idea...I've never really looked that closely at it.

Progress
07-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Try 1,600. It's fun.
I hate you.

Eszekial
07-27-2006, 08:28 AM
I hate you.

I get to do this every week, starting in a few hours.

Yay, Ud2

Slim Schaedle
07-27-2006, 11:17 AM
I hate you.
hehehehehehehe

But yeah, it's what Ezekial said. Starts tonight.

I should take a picture of all the food I bought for it. Spent waay too much money though.

Btw, those big 25-count boxes of "Super Pretzels" are on sale at Kroger for under 6 bux.

MagnaSephiroth
07-30-2006, 02:59 PM
I am thinking about starting a carb cycle, but whats the pros and cons of eatting less carbs in a day? I heard something about water retention, but does this mean that I will hold more water so I will look bigger? (filled with water more) and how is carb cycling advantagious? Thanks

ddegroff
07-30-2006, 05:27 PM
For most it comes down to controling your appetite. You need less CHO's on off days. Protein/fats don't make me as hungry as CHOs. But also water retention is part of this, but I don't carb cycle to look bigger/smaller.

MagnaSephiroth
07-30-2006, 05:46 PM
For most it comes down to controling your appetite. You need less CHO's on off days. Protein/fats don't make me as hungry as CHOs. But also water retention is part of this, but I don't carb cycle to look bigger/smaller.

How noticable is this retention though...

Built
07-30-2006, 06:54 PM
My weight fluctuates about a pound to two pounds between high and low carb days. FWIW.

Progress
07-30-2006, 07:00 PM
hehehehehehehe

But yeah, it's what Ezekial said. Starts tonight.

I should take a picture of all the food I bought for it. Spent waay too much money though.

Btw, those big 25-count boxes of "Super Pretzels" are on sale at Kroger for under 6 bux.
I know. I actually read UD2 and am prepared to do it but am waiting until I can do it for 12 full cycles. Seeing as though I moved and am going to law school in a month, methinks it would be unwise to become ketogenic. Come next spring! :clap:

s0500947
07-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Question...is it better to "group" high and moderate days near each other, then have moderate and low days near each other, so that each week has a general pattern? Say..heavy at the begining of the week, followed by a few days of lower carbs? Like, Heavy-Moderate-Heavy-Moderate-Light-Moderate- etc, or is it better to do like heavy/light/moderate/light so light carb intake is only on rest days?

Slim Schaedle
07-31-2006, 01:02 AM
My weight fluctuates about a pound to two pounds between high and low carb days. FWIW.
I put on 10 pounds from Thursdays mornings to Thursday nights.