PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever made rice krispy treats with oats insted?

View 1
07-26-2006, 10:41 PM
I was thinking about this the other day, after I read the homemade protein bar thread.

Dont know how well it would turn out. But its a thought.

Basic recipe is

6 cups Rice Krispies
10oz Marshmallows ( or 4 cups )
3 Tablespoons Margarine or butter.

Replace the Rice Krispies with oats, and add in your favorite whey protein blend, and there you go.

What do you think??

gains2385
07-26-2006, 11:20 PM
why replace the rice krispies with oats? accroding to fitday, the oats have 32 more carbs, 3 more grams of fat, and only 11 more grams of protein. might as well leave the krispies in and toss in an extra scoop of protein to balance out the difference. I guess the oats might be healthier, but are they that much more so? now if you could take out the marshmallows, that would eliminate 160 carbs...

what could replace the marshmallows....? and the margarine....?

ehscrewdude
07-27-2006, 09:01 AM
if someone could make these healthy these are like a million times better than rice crispy treats.... (and u could use ur natty pb in em)

http://www.recipezaar.com/138571

Cheerio peanut butter bars.... mmmmm.....

gains2385
07-27-2006, 09:19 AM
/\ /\ as far as that goes, I imagine it would be good to mix the cheerios, peanut butter, and then use splenda with water to make the corn syrup. Cheerios really aren't that bad it seems; about 23 carbs a cup...
f c p
cheerios (6 cups) = 10 120 18
peanut butter(1 cup)= 130 35 65
splenda = 0 0 0
The recipe says it makes 25 squares, so that would give each bar a macro of 5.6 grams of fat, 6 carbs and 3.3 protein (60 calories a bar). If you put in about 100 grams of some sort of whey, the protein would hit 7.3 a bar.... seems pretty good to me, with most of the fat being good fat!

cphafner
07-27-2006, 08:15 PM
I was thinking about this the other day, after I read the homemade protein bar thread.

Dont know how well it would turn out. But its a thought.

Basic recipe is

6 cups Rice Krispies
10oz Marshmallows ( or 4 cups )
3 Tablespoons Margarine or butter.

Replace the Rice Krispies with oats, and add in your favorite whey protein blend, and there you go.

What do you think??

What difference would oats make when you have that other unhealthy crap in there?

View 1
07-27-2006, 09:32 PM
What difference would oats make when you have that other unhealthy crap in there?

I posted this without thinking it threw much, never thought about the rice krispies and how good/bad they are for you.

I was kind of interested in stuff like ehscrewdude posted. Its not something to eat all the time ( if I made anything I would cut the recipe in half or even more ), just a treat here and there you could say, its bad for you yes but still better than going out and getting the 4 scoop ice cream sunday with brownie's and fudge syrup.

Im still on my cut so me eating stuff like this is rare.