PDA

View Full Version : Trying to cut but stuck at current weight

vhx1
07-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I've been tryin to cut for ar while now. I started off around 210 lbs and am now around 5' 9'' 195.5 lbs. I'd say my body fat % is around 17-20%.
On a typical day my macro breakdown loooks like this.

Total: 1448 calories
Fat: 41g 26%
Sat: 8 75 5%
Poly: 4 39 3%
Mono: 11 103 7%
Carbs: 61g 203 14%
Fiber: 10 0 0%
Protein: 209g 837 59%

I try to get in my lifting at least three times a week. On off days, I either do HIIT or play competitive tennis. I'm really looking to get rid of these man boobies cuz they are pissin me off but I feel like i've been hoverin around the same body fat % for the past few weeks.

What do I need to change? Should I be upping calories?

ehscrewdude
07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
use the equation on here to get ur suggested caloric intake (its like, half way down)

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=811783

KingWilder
07-27-2006, 11:33 AM
dude stay away from equations...that **** doesn't work

do you happen to know your maintenance calories? It looks like you're eating way too little to me.

Slim Schaedle
07-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I've been tryin to cut for ar while now. I started off around 210 lbs and am now around 5' 9'' 195.5 lbs. I'd say my body fat % is around 17-20%.
On a typical day my macro breakdown loooks like this.

Total: 1448 calories
Fat: 41g 26%
Sat: 8 75 5%
Poly: 4 39 3%
Mono: 11 103 7%
Carbs: 61g 203 14%
Fiber: 10 0 0%
Protein: 209g 837 59%

I try to get in my lifting at least three times a week. On off days, I either do HIIT or play competitive tennis. I'm really looking to get rid of these man boobies cuz they are pissin me off but I feel like i've been hoverin around the same body fat % for the past few weeks.

What do I need to change? Should I be upping calories?
That is a pretty damn low calorie intake for being 195lbs.

Is that what you started at? How long have you been cutting?

vhx1
07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
That is a pretty damn low calorie intake for being 195lbs.

Is that what you started at? How long have you been cutting?

i started off around 210 and got to around 195.. this was around winter time. i thought i wasn't eating enough even tho i dropped alot of weight initially. At school, I was eating around 1500 a day so I upped it to 1700.

I guess i'll need to up the calories to around 2000.

When I got back from school for the summer, I was around 192 lbs. I started eating clean again about 1500-1700 cals a day and proceeded to lift heavy. For some reason,I gained untill I hit 197 lbs. Now the gaining has stopped and I slowly went down to around 195. It is quite odd how I gained when I was trying to cut.

vhx1
07-27-2006, 12:43 PM
link to my fit day

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=vhx1

ehscrewdude
07-27-2006, 12:47 PM
ur carbs are kinda on the low side... idk if that would affect anything... lol

ddegroff
07-27-2006, 01:30 PM
I think you arn't eating enough. If you eat too few of calories for a long period of time you can crash your metabolism. Do you have any idea what your maintenance cals are (amount it takes you to maintain weight)?

vhx1
07-27-2006, 11:44 PM
I think you arn't eating enough. If you eat too few of calories for a long period of time you can crash your metabolism. Do you have any idea what your maintenance cals are (amount it takes you to maintain weight)?
It seems like my weight has been stayin about thes ame lately i've been eating around 1700-1900 cals a day.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-28-2006, 02:47 AM
What does your training routine look like?

ArchAngel777
07-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Though I am no expert, I can tell you that I used to think I had a slow metabolism... It wasn't until I counted the calories I actually ate on a daily basis that made me realize why I gained so much weight and that my metabolism isn't slow, I am just a pig!

With that said, make sure you are understanding the food labels right and understand what a serving is. So many people have no clue... They do the math right, as far as the calorie adding, but they measure the volume or assume it is lower than it really is.

For instance, a bowl of cereal... I am not sure about anyone else here, but our family has big bowls... Those little 1/2 cup servings would be a joke! Well, a bowl of normal size can typically hold around 2 cups of cereal and then add your 1 cup of milk in. Most people would think oh, 200 calories only. Wrong, it would be close to 500! So just make sure that you are as accurate as possible on your calories, at least for a week.

Otherwise there is the possibility that you have some issues with your metabolism. This is often blamed, when it is probably more rare than it really is though.

vhx1
07-28-2006, 10:58 AM
What does your training routine look like?
I usually lift 3 times a week. On the off days, I'm either playing tennis or doing some HIIT cardio.

Right now my split looks like:
Monday: Chest and Back
Tuesday: tennis/HIIT
Wed: Legs
Thurs: tennis/HIIT
Fri: Shoulders, Bi's, Tris

When I first started off, I was doing alot of chest doign sets of 10 reps, 8 reps, 6, 4 of weight increasing by 5 lbs each set.
Now i've been experimenting with the 5x5 and 3x10s as well as t-nation.com's lactic acid training routine.

Right now, i'm really aiming to lose fat instead of gaining muscle but the fat loss is slow

vhx1
07-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Though I am no expert, I can tell you that I used to think I had a slow metabolism... It wasn't until I counted the calories I actually ate on a daily basis that made me realize why I gained so much weight and that my metabolism isn't slow, I am just a pig!

With that said, make sure you are understanding the food labels right and understand what a serving is. So many people have no clue... They do the math right, as far as the calorie adding, but they measure the volume or assume it is lower than it really is.

For instance, a bowl of cereal... I am not sure about anyone else here, but our family has big bowls... Those little 1/2 cup servings would be a joke! Well, a bowl of normal size can typically hold around 2 cups of cereal and then add your 1 cup of milk in. Most people would think oh, 200 calories only. Wrong, it would be close to 500! So just make sure that you are as accurate as possible on your calories, at least for a week.

Otherwise there is the possibility that you have some issues with your metabolism. This is often blamed, when it is probably more rare than it really is though.yea i've been using a digital scale to keep the measurements as accurate as possible. only problem is sometimes i'm too lazy to weigh things