PDA

View Full Version : Cooking on a Grill - Bad?

therhoads
01-30-2002, 10:15 AM
I have heard that cooking on a gas (or charcoal) grill can be bad for your health. Something about the black burnt stuff causing cancer... Has anyone heard anything about this or have any information?:scratch:

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-30-2002, 10:20 AM
if it's an outside BBQ grill then just make sure you clean it before each use.

In fact, clean your oven grill before each use too.

Tryska
01-30-2002, 10:27 AM
my dad used to say that a lot. and he's a doctor, so i'm pretty sure he had a valid reason, but I've never actually done the research on it.

syntekz
01-30-2002, 10:50 AM
pfftt... doctors and scientists say everything can cause cancer and they have a study to 'prove' it.

Tryska
01-30-2002, 10:55 AM
mmm...my dad isn't like that though...he doesn't get hysterical about that stuff.....but the burnt meat thing he was fairly adamant about and has been for at least 20 years.....

i'm presuming there's carcinogens in the charring. of course that doesn't say much.

the doc
01-30-2002, 11:23 AM
yes that is true that carcinogens are generated in grilling

Now its hard to say that this will cause cancer (often times these carcinogens are not adsorbed in the GI or exist in very small amounts). Since people have been cooking foods for a long time now i think we would've seen its effects

therhoads
01-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Thanks for your responses - good information. Living in Florida, I can grill out year round. I just love BBQ!

breeze
01-30-2002, 12:56 PM
Yes. When the fat from the meat melts and hit the hot charcoals the high temperature causes fat to be oxidize in such a way that it becomes highly carcinogenic. This carcinogen then finds it way back into the food that you are barbequing. Always marinate your meat first before bbqing it.

TreeTrunks
01-30-2002, 01:04 PM
Does everything cause cancer today!?! :rolleyes:

breeze
01-30-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
Does everything cause cancer today!?! :rolleyes:

Dude go argue with the NIH. :windup:

PowerManDL
01-30-2002, 01:21 PM
Yeah, looks like it.

We need to stop eating, breathing, drinking fluids, not drinking fluids, going outside, going inside, and I believe the latest has shown that brain activity actually causes cancer too.

The only way to avoid cancer? Shoot yourself right now.

TreeTrunks
01-30-2002, 01:21 PM
:soapbox: Cancer this Cancer that. Use a cell phone you die of brain tumors. Drink a diet coke die from the aspartame. Lab rats get cancers from eating sacran (sp) I would too if thats all I ate for my entire life span! Same with cell phones. Do scientists and the govn't want us to live our lives in a plastic bubble from now on? Too much emphasis on safety these days! Like George Carlin says "kids have to wear a helmet for everything but jerking off!"

PowerManDL
01-30-2002, 01:24 PM
Do scientists and the govn't want us to live our lives in a plastic bubble from now on?

Yes.

breeze
01-30-2002, 01:26 PM
How do you explain the alarming incidence of cancer in Western societies.

TreeTrunks
01-30-2002, 01:37 PM
Cancer is not a new thing you know? There may be more cases of Cancer now than ever because there are more people living now than ever. You can't live your life in a little shell your entire life, what fun would that be? Are eastern countries exempt from cancer?

PowerManDL
01-30-2002, 01:39 PM
Living in a little shell has been shown to cause cancer.

TreeTrunks
01-30-2002, 01:45 PM
I am surprised (seriously) that I have yet to hear a story wear using the microwave will give you cancer and listening to the radio will give you cancer.

breeze
01-30-2002, 01:48 PM
I am surprised (seriously) that I have yet to hear a story wear using the microwave will give you cancer and listening to the radio will give you cancer.

There was a study done in England about the correlation between the old analog cell phones and brain tumors.

PowerManDL
01-30-2002, 01:49 PM

I dunno about that, but I did hear that posting on Internet forums causes cancer.

TreeTrunks
01-30-2002, 01:51 PM
:bang: Yeah they probably left a cell phone on a person's head for several years until they contracted cancer. You have to read into there "studies"

TreeTrunks
01-30-2002, 01:52 PM
I did hear that posting on Internet forums causes cancer

I guess I would be terminal then

Alex.V
01-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Discussing environmental causes of cancer has been shown to cause cancer.

goobermor
01-30-2002, 05:29 PM
>>The only way to avoid cancer? Shoot yourself right now.

LMAO, that was slick :cool:

Delphi
01-31-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by breeze
Yes. When the fat from the meat melts and hit the hot charcoals the high temperature causes fat to be oxidize in such a way that it becomes highly carcinogenic. This carcinogen then finds it way back into the food that you are barbequing. Always marinate your meat first before bbqing it.

Exactamundo on the fat stuff. Bunch of free radicals are generated when fat is exposed to heat. Smoking meats does this plus a bunch of nitrosamines are produced. The Japanese (when they're living in Japan) eat a lot of smoked fish and they have a very high incidence of gastric (stomach) cancer and bladder cancer. The Japanese that have moved to Hawaii and have adopted a Western diet do not share the high incidence of these cancers. "They" feel this proves that the high incidence of gastric and bladder cancers in the Japanese is due to environmental conditions, not heredity.

That all being said, I'm dying for some BBQ ham and sausage. :drooling: :burger: