PDA

View Full Version : Loosing ATF Flexibility with PL Squats

Bob
07-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Hey all.. need a little help..

Recently I've been loosing some of my ATF flexibility when I do lighter squat sets in a Powerlifting stance.. when I warmup squat with the bar up to 135 I can barely get down to parallel.. 185 up to 225 I get a little below parallel.. and with anything heavier I can get a good, down deep ATF squat.

It's almost like I need the weight to force me into the ATF squat!!

If I switch to Oly stance squats, I'm OK.. I can ATF at all weights..

I have always had pretty good form squatting... I've always been an ATF squatter..

The only chances recently... is I've been doing a lot more 1 and 2 rep sets.. and I have been doing a lot more Oly stance squats..

And I've had some success with this.. as my squat has gone up about 20 lbs over the last 2.5 months.. where I was stuck at a plateau for about the 4 months before that..

Any magic flexibility stretches you would recommend?
Any advice welcome... thanks..

Clifford Gillmore
07-30-2006, 10:12 PM
I can't ATF when I wide squat at all, but narrow stance I'm fine. I've no idea how to increase your flexibility though, possibly pylo work or decelleration training?

Sensei
07-30-2006, 10:46 PM
I CAN'T squat ATF with a wide PL stance. How flexible do you want to be???

I would recommend some ultra-wide stance squatting and ultra-wide stance good mornings if you want to work on hip and hamstring flexibility. Take it easy though - if you overdo it, you're just asking for some hip and hamstring inflammation. Also, just reread the Gray Cook quote I post all the time - I believe that applies for all kinds of squatting.

Bob
07-31-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks guys..
I think you have triggered another thought.. I may have been subconsciously started widening my stance.. after watching so many squatting videos..

Sensei, to answer your question.. I want to be as flexible to do a good ATF squat so I don't hurt my knees... Not going below parallel is going to keep that pressure on my knees that I don't want.

Is it possible that in the PL Stance that the weight is already shifted to Quads/Hams/Glutes and pressure is taken off the knees as you reach your flexibility limit?

Paul Stagg
07-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Get the parisi warmup DVD. Basic dynamic stuff that will really help with flexibility and mobility.

emjlr3
07-31-2006, 12:55 PM
I am not too familiar with all these different forms of squating you are talknig about

I just stand there with my legs about shoulder width, and squats down with my knees pointing forward

is there anywhere that can describe for me better that these different stances look like?

ThatSkinnyGuy
07-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Normal Squat.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBFullSquat.html

Powerlifting Squat (perhaps even a bit wider. emphasis on toes pointed outward.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xynxKU5Qtqc&mode=related&search=powerlifting%20squat

Best examples I could find with a quick google search. Dunno bout any kind of Olympic squat form.

HeavyBomber
07-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Box squat with a wide stance and a low box.

erik-the-red
08-01-2006, 12:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH-IadDDsK4&search=Ironmind

I guess Kakhiashvili's form is typical of "Olympic style."

Westsidemonster
08-12-2006, 12:34 AM
If you can break parallel when the weight gets heavy, then you are ok...;)

Westsidemonster
08-12-2006, 12:49 AM
If you can break parallel when the weight gets heavy, then you are ok...;)
Man, if you only knew! I have the same problem!...lol! Once the bar gets heavier, it's fine...The one thing I've noticed is that I'm getting strong real fast with my squat!..Maybe the lack of flexibility is not that bad after all, it helps you bounce up a lot faster!

Patz
08-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Yeah..As my squat has gone up, my warup set with the bar seems poitnless. It really won't even activate my glutes anymore. i just figured that was normal, due to the muscle being accustomed to heavier loading and everything being tensed-up for something big. I likened it to the effect a bench shirt or squat suit has. It takes more weight to even stretch those things out, they're so tight.

WBBIRL
08-13-2006, 10:26 AM
gah, I've never had the ability to go ATF

Dinosaur
08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Just stick with narrow stance squats then if that's what you want. If you want a big squat, PLing style is the way to go. If you just want strong legs, narrow and ATG is the way to go.

drew
08-13-2006, 11:57 AM
One of the reasons to use a wider stance is because it's harder to get down to parallel. More tension builds in the hips and it makes for a more explosive ascent. If you want to squat lower, use a closer stance and point your toes out a little more.

WBBIRL
08-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Im all about #'s on squats so yea, however I never did figure that a narrow stance would allow you to go lower. Interesting