PDA

View Full Version : Want to quit working out, should I continue buying protein powder?

SkinnySadMan
07-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, well I don't know but I just want to quit lifting weights. I'm going to revert to an even more pathetic sad man. I'll probably lose 20-30 lbs. in a short amount of time. Woooh back to 110 lbs. !

Alright...well I have heard protein shakes can be of benefit to anyone. The shakes I buy also has a vitamin and mineral mix into them (but small amounts).

Would I just be wasting my money or what ? It seems drinking protein shakes right after I wake up gives me energy.

WBBIRL
07-31-2006, 06:58 PM
NICE!!!!

I can dumbell bench your bodyweight in each hand, my next milestone is to be able to do it with my bodyweight (after I lose about 100lbs of course lol).

WBBIRL
07-31-2006, 06:59 PM
On a more serious note, protein is just food thats conveinent. Regular food is often more bang for your buck and is more satisfying.

Hockey66
07-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Better idea, don't quit lifting weights. :)

SkinnySadMan
07-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Well I am not sure if I should also let go of my diet.

ooooh... wait a minute, I never really followed a diet. Half of my calories came from shakes lol.

Turnip
07-31-2006, 07:20 PM
110 pounds? whale blubber might be better for you than shakes.

SkinnySadMan
07-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Hmm I have heard that exessive protein intake is converted into fat cells.

How much is exessive ?

Progress
07-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Hmm I have heard that exessive protein intake is converted into fat cells.

How much is exessive ?
Dude.

drew
07-31-2006, 07:27 PM
That's lame.

Why not quit eating all together?

Slim Schaedle
07-31-2006, 07:28 PM
How much is exessive ?
More than you need

Which means once you revert back to being a normal person, that number gets alot lower.

The solution is to keep buying the powder so you have a reason to be an abnormal person. Buying stuff always motivates people to do something or believe they are something when the lack the inner drive to find it themselves.

Unreal
07-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Seriously, your not going to get any real help here. Why the hell would you want to quit? If your going to quit, then quit hardcore. Start eating nothing but crap and become another lazy american that makes the rest of us look that much better.

sharkall2003
07-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Like it has already been said "If you're going to quit, then quit hardcore." Why would you purchase protein powder? To be some poser and make the rest of us look bad? Seriously, if you want to weightlift and dedicated your life to the lifestyle then post here, but you probably shouldn't ask a bunch of lifters what to do about this problem.

KingWilder
07-31-2006, 07:53 PM
you should just quit life

SkinnySadMan
07-31-2006, 07:54 PM
What I mean is I don't want to become a total crap ass. I'm getting lazy about my workouts...so I want to lay off for a bit.

Darcy Tucker
07-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Don't quit bro if you enjoy doing it. If you don't enjoy doing it make sure you find something else you love doing.

LivinItUp
07-31-2006, 08:03 PM
What I mean is I don't want to become a total crap ass. I'm getting lazy about my workouts...so I want to lay off for a bit.

You do realize you get more energy by having an active lifestyle, correct?

Do you think laziness matters? Anyone who says they are lazy is just making an excuse to follow through at quitting things.

Do you want to fix you're so called laziness? Protein does indeed give you energy, helps with you're workouts, which in turn will give you more energy, more discipline.

If you think you need to lay off, then lay off a bit. That is a personal choice, when you say you're going to QUIT lifting weights, that's a little different from laying off for a while.

I don't think you will find any sympathy if all you're saying is you're going to quit because you're lazy. I try to bite my tongue when anyone says this to me.

SkinnySadMan
07-31-2006, 08:04 PM
HMm should of did a google search for this. I will continue buying the protein.

http://www.energyfirst.com/site/files/whey/Whey-Protein-Facts.htm

"Q. Isn't whey protein just for athletes and body builders?

No, absolutely not. It has been the protein of choice for athletes and body builders because it is the most easily absorbed, purest source of complete protein available, in a convenient powder that can be added to a variety of foods. It is so pure it is perfect for babies, as soon as they are weaned off the breast, growing children (it strengthens bones), teenagers (it helps prevent and treat ADD and ADHD), and adults (especially busy ones). It is perfect for the aging, because when you age: first your ability to digest protein lessens, and your muscles start to diminish. Whey protein isolate is very easily absorbed, and is extremely anabolic, meaning it helps build muscle mass, and it is a powerful immune-booster, so it helps prevent sickness and disease. "

and http://www.deepfitness.com/05/shelly_protein/

LivinItUp
07-31-2006, 08:11 PM
You do realize you get more energy by having an active lifestyle, correct?

Do you think laziness matters? Anyone who says they are lazy is just making an excuse to follow through at quitting things.

Do you want to fix you're so called laziness? Protein does indeed give you energy, helps with you're workouts, which in turn will give you more energy, more discipline.

If you think you need to lay off, then lay off a bit. That is a personal choice, when you say you're going to QUIT lifting weights, that's a little different from laying off for a while.

I don't think you will find any sympathy if all you're saying is you're going to quit because you're lazy. I try to bite my tongue when anyone says this to me.

Don't take what I say like I am angry or anything, weightlifting is not easy by any means. It still takes a lot of discipline for me to follow through on all of my workouts, almost. It's not for everyone, there are tons of other things that can keep you healthy/fit!

Turnip
07-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Did you even look at the site that said everyone should be taking protein powder, it sells protein powder... Next your going to be saying mc donalds is part of a balanced diet because of this crap:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/eat/greene.html
http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/eat/nutritionist.html

Not to say whether its good or bad, but you should check your sources alittle better, even if these people dont seem to be that friendly all the sudden they will still give you a more accurate answer.

SkinnySadMan
07-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Okkkay....maybe I shouldn't have the idea of quitting because of one bad workout...

motoko013
08-01-2006, 12:58 AM
lol at the responses here.....

this is a board full of hardcore bodybuilders...sure not all of us compete, but we try our best to keep on diet, with the fewest cheat meals possible, and rarely, if at all, miss a workout...if you're gonna quit lifting weights...don't bother buying a protein powder....just drink some slim fast or something and chew a candy bar

motoko013
08-01-2006, 01:03 AM
HMm should of did a google search for this. I will continue buying the protein.

http://www.energyfirst.com/site/files/whey/Whey-Protein-Facts.htm

"Q. Isn't whey protein just for athletes and body builders?

No, absolutely not. It has been the protein of choice for athletes and body builders because it is the most easily absorbed, purest source of complete protein available, in a convenient powder that can be added to a variety of foods. It is so pure it is perfect for babies, as soon as they are weaned off the breast, growing children (it strengthens bones), teenagers (it helps prevent and treat ADD and ADHD), and adults (especially busy ones). It is perfect for the aging, because when you age: first your ability to digest protein lessens, and your muscles start to diminish. Whey protein isolate is very easily absorbed, and is extremely anabolic, meaning it helps build muscle mass, and it is a powerful immune-booster, so it helps prevent sickness and disease. "

and http://www.deepfitness.com/05/shelly_protein/

you do know protein powder is just food right? you can get the same thing from eating a steak or chicken...

kw1k
08-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Don't quit man... atleast go 3 times a week, spend about an hour at the gym. don't have to train hard core.. just keep yourself in shape bro

SkinnySadMan
08-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Yeah I was suppose to do my leg workout today. (Saturday...but I didn't, on Sunday I still didn't, so I do it on Monday)

I managed to do only squats. I backed out on Front Squats...I just ditched the barbell and said **** this I think I want to quit.

Then after 2 hours I did a high rep Chest routine lol...

I am not sure wtf is up with leg days but everytime I do them it makes me feel like quitting...

LivinItUp
08-01-2006, 02:20 AM
Yeah I was suppose to do my leg workout today. (Saturday...but I didn't, on Sunday I still didn't, so I do it on Monday)

I managed to do only squats. I backed out on Front Squats...I just ditched the barbell and said **** this I think I want to quit.

I am not sure wtf is up with leg days but everytime I do them it makes me feel like quitting...

Could be that legs take the most effort.

I was drenched in sweat after my leg workout today, I could've burst out in tears if I wanted to.

Maybe because my legs are so damn long and the muscles are bigger? I don't know, either way they are big f'ing muscles to work.

Do you blast some music while you workout? I was playin' my mp3 player today, I don't know if I could've done it without this time around. (well I could, but you know what I mean)

Beno79
08-03-2006, 03:25 PM
dont quit! Im goin through exactly the same thing right now. Ive been delaying workouts, dont seem to have the energy to do it, blah blah blah, its too hot to lift weights etc etc... but I just keep at it.

Ive only been lifting for 4 months now, and for the first 3 i enjoyed it, it seems like a shame to waste all that effort, so im gonna stick with it! It doesnt really matter if you miss the odd workout, or do it a day late. Its much better than quiting altogether!

good luck!

Kana
08-03-2006, 03:45 PM
If you're going to quit lifting just because of those poor excuses, then how far do you think you'll get in life?

Jinkies
08-03-2006, 04:07 PM
You going to quit because its too difficult, your workouts are NOTHING compared to what some people put themselves through everyday.

We have a word for people like you in Texas. PUSSYS

shootermcgavin7
08-03-2006, 04:11 PM
We have a word for people like you in Texas. PUSSYS

Although apparently Texas lacks in the grammar department.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-03-2006, 04:12 PM
You can't be serious?

Jinkies
08-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Just have no respect for a boy whose feeling sorry for himself and won't man up to a leg day.

JustinASU
08-03-2006, 05:18 PM
this is a board full of hardcore bodybuilders...

I take that as an insult. I am not a bodybuilder. ;)

LivinItUp
08-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Just have no respect for a boy whose feeling sorry for himself and won't man up to a leg day.

My legs were begging for mercy today, and I kept moving the weight. Also I drank a lot of milk and like 5 boiled eggs before I worked out because I hadn't eaten in like 2 hours. I felt like I might throw up, but guess what? I don't give a ****.

So, skinnysadman, what do you think people here are going to tell you when you say you back out because you THINK you just don't want to do it? No one is going to give a damn because that is one of the worst excuses(if that even is an excuse) to quit.

Did I mention I couldn't sleep well last night(not overtrained, thanks) and was tired as well?

In all honesty, NO ONE wants to see another post where you tip-toe around saying you didn't do it because you didn't want to. There has to be some solid reason, otherwise you will be walked all over here. We no it's not easy to consistently lift and we all feel the same way...find some motivation, or tell us some good things you are doing, alright?

Danzavair
08-03-2006, 08:03 PM

I remember when i was 105lbs, back in 9th grade. not much different then ur body it seems. I got frustrated on squat i used to do 95 lbs, I'd always complain about that bar hurting my neck etc. I would do "high rep" bench cause my bench NEVER went up it seemed i was stuck at doing 75, 85, 95 the rest of my life.

Then i started focusing on routines, form, and especially, SQUAT. I just kept putting that naked bar on my shoulders and eventually I toughened up to it. I hit the squat wrack so hard people at my school thought i was psycho. I started teaching the other kids in weightlifting how to do squat and the forms and everything instead of the trainer teaching the new guys how to do stuff. In fact i was known as a squat beast at my school....that said 3 years later i was putting up 405 a couple times...and not surprisingly, my bench went up in proportion as well as all my other lifts!...keep with it man, you will regret quitting lifting and you will just be like, damn i wish i wouldve kept lifting now i have to start all over. You need to be consistent, form habits, it makes it easier, and when it gets easier just make it harder on yourself, makes you tougher, makes you lift more weight, makes you gain more weight, makes you stronger, makes you bigger, more energy, feel better about yourself, etc!!!

If its easy then you aren't going hard enough and if its hard then it will get easier. Rinse and repeat.

Beast
08-03-2006, 09:29 PM
http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=83262

JHolmes145
08-04-2006, 01:07 AM
people who "quit" slapping steel are jus confused indivisuals who never realized they never were really in the game in the first place.

Steele
08-04-2006, 07:44 AM
I know how the OP feels when you just get to a point and think 'f**k this, why am i doing this bs?'. There's no reason to it, i've thought about this for some; i reckon it comes down to self belief, and how i mentioned the way in which some people percieve food (that many find it hard to diet because they percieve food in terms of associated short term pleasure gained from eating it, rather than what is actually there and the long term disbenefits). In this case however, it's more the adverse - looking at strenuous exercise like weights, and thinking in terms of the immediate term associated pain, rather than the short and long term gain. The solution is simply to set yourself goals, there's an awsome article on this in the weightlifting section of this site. When you fulfill them, you will feel all the better for it and the negative feelings will diminish, somewhat (if not totally).

Hope it helps (:

-Steele

Fitzg
08-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Sad Skinny, change your name on the forum, clean the sand out of your VAGINA and go **** some **** up at the gym. In order to be a bad man (or woman) you gotta train with some. You feel like quitting because working out is hard. You ever throw up in your mouth at the gym? Well I have, and after I choke it back down I feel like kicking some puppies on the way back to the squat rack, it feels great. You need someone to tell you to stop being a puss when you are ready to quit. My training partner rips out a clump of my ample chest hair before I do a heavy bench. You need to workout your attitude and your ass will follow. If it was easy, anyone could do it. You need to transcend the pain and misery to make gains. Good Luck, and anytime you need motivation pm me and I'll talk **** to you. Peace.

LivinItUp
08-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Sad Skinny, change your name on the forum, clean the sand out of your VAGINA and go **** some **** up at the gym. In order to be a bad man (or woman) you gotta train with some. You feel like quitting because working out is hard. You ever throw up in your mouth at the gym? Well I have, and after I choke it back down I feel like kicking some puppies on the way back to the squat rack, it feels great. You need someone to tell you to stop being a puss when you are ready to quit. My training partner rips out a clump of my ample chest hair before I do a heavy bench. You need to workout your attitude and your ass will follow. If it was easy, anyone could do it. You need to transcend the pain and misery to make gains. Good Luck, and anytime you need motivation pm me and I'll talk **** to you. Peace.

No offense, but you like eating you're throw up you've got issues :idea: , I will usually drink some water first LOL.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Sad Skinny, change your name on the forum, clean the sand out of your VAGINA and go **** some **** up at the gym. In order to be a bad man (or woman) you gotta train with some. You feel like quitting because working out is hard. You ever throw up in your mouth at the gym? Well I have, and after I choke it back down I feel like kicking some puppies on the way back to the squat rack, it feels great. You need someone to tell you to stop being a puss when you are ready to quit. My training partner rips out a clump of my ample chest hair before I do a heavy bench. You need to workout your attitude and your ass will follow. If it was easy, anyone could do it. You need to transcend the pain and misery to make gains. Good Luck, and anytime you need motivation pm me and I'll talk **** to you. Peace.I think you need a Vicodin. Or a hammer. Or perhaps you shouldn't eat so soon before you lift.

KingWilder
08-04-2006, 06:54 PM
don't kick puppies :(

Songsangnim
08-04-2006, 07:22 PM
To the OP: Ignore most of the above replies. Sounds like you are overtrained. Feeling unmotivated and like you want to quit is one of the results of overtraining. Take two weeks off and then re-evaluate.

SkinnySadMan
08-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Tomorrow is leg day. :bang:

Mr. Kool
08-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Tomorrow is leg day. :bang:

Then go out there and give it your best.

Davidelmo
08-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Take a week off and enjoy yourself.

A week isn't going to hurt anything but it gives your body and your mind time to recover.

From what I remember you actually looked okay at 130lbs.. you definately have good genetics.. you would look absolutely AWESOME at 170.

McVein
08-06-2006, 01:42 PM

on your own son

Steele
08-06-2006, 08:15 PM
HAHA loving it :D You British btw?

-Steele

on your own son

powerrack
08-06-2006, 11:02 PM
SkinnySadMan you not even realizing some great things about yourself. I'm reading your little profile thing below your post, you are pretty damn strong for your age and size. I got crazy respect for that, when I was your age, I was a fat 265lbs slob that had trouble benching 95lbs.

These things take time, I'm personally a gym addict and can't stay out, but when the workouts do end up crappy I usually take a step back train a bit lighter take a few days off to let my mind and body rest.

Goodluck with whatever you decide.

MrM
08-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Just start doing 1-2 sets per exercise, don't quit completly you may get your fire back

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-07-2006, 02:03 AM
Maybe you should read this: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=573

Nik00117
08-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Dude started at 180 LBs I was benching 55, 65 Lbs looking at the guy next to me going wow 135LBS! I would quit often too for a month or so at a time. I'd always stay around then one day I got tried of it. So i decided lift BIG! I went up to 95 LBs felt great, i went up to 100, 105, then I was at 115 for my 1RM MAX (AT 180 LBS!)

Now i'm 210 and happy as can be. Seriosuly don't go to a protein website and ask if you should buy protein even if you don't lift, what are they going say? No it won't benefit you.

malkore
08-07-2006, 09:55 AM
http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/images/smilies/xt.GIF

Mr. Kool
08-07-2006, 11:04 AM
SkinnySadMan you really need to change your username, how can you have an attitude for improving with a name like that?