PDA

View Full Version : Thrusters, the best four minute, whole body workout that I have ever done.

gains2385
07-31-2006, 06:59 PM
This (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=490160) has got to be one of the best HIIT things that I have ever done. I did the thrusters with the dumbbells, and wow, it is a killer. I felt it in my entire body.

There might be another post about this stuff, but I just wanted to stress how great it is and that if you are on a cut, it will almost certainly help with losing the fat and keeping the muscle. I also wanted to stress the importance of starting with a weight you can do. I tried 25lbs and only did it for 1.5 minutes. Then I went down to 20 and only did it for 2 minutes. I had to all the way down to 10lbs (each arm) to complete it for four minutes and even though that is a light weight, it was an awesome workout!

Highly recommended and it only takes four minutes. :hump:

Clifford Gillmore
07-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Crossfit dig it as an exercise, I think I did 135 for a totall of 45 reps or something similar (BB). Ugh, I felt it.

Anthony
08-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Thrusters are very humbling ...

Con
08-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Are thrusters considered HIT?
Should they be given their own day to workout?
and if so how does nutrition change on those days?

MixmasterNash
08-01-2006, 08:05 AM
A thruster is just an exercise. Do whatever you want with it.

Tabata is a HIIT protocol.

Eszekial
08-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Def going to try this in place of cardio :D

KingWilder
08-01-2006, 11:38 AM
damn that looks intense...I might have to throw in some thrusters once or twice a month just for the hell of it.

ehscrewdude
08-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Def going to try this in place of cardio :D

Def... I did the whole run for 30 sec. jog for 30 sec. and killed myself.... This way I don't have to run! or run home! yes...lol

RedSpikeyThing
08-02-2006, 04:22 PM
This seems like a really good way to get cardio up for sports that have intense shifts, like hockey. I think I'm going to start doing these on a regular basis. The article said monthly, but that doesn't seem nearly often enough. Is that because of the intensity? I was thinking more along the lines of once or twice per WEEK. Would this be a good idea?

Nik00117
08-02-2006, 04:42 PM
WOW, 10 sec rests, i've tooken a longer breaks in middle of a set.

greathuskie
08-02-2006, 08:26 PM
i almost want to try this with deadlifts....

RedSpikeyThing
08-02-2006, 09:36 PM
i almost want to try this with deadlifts....

Good luck keeping proper form!

greathuskie
08-02-2006, 11:05 PM
no ****. its worth a try though, and would be hella difficult :).

KingWilder
08-02-2006, 11:31 PM
This seems like a really good way to get cardio up for sports that have intense shifts, like hockey. I think I'm going to start doing these on a regular basis. The article said monthly, but that doesn't seem nearly often enough. Is that because of the intensity? I was thinking more along the lines of once or twice per WEEK. Would this be a good idea?

the article said it is only recommended once or twice a month because by trial and error the author got to the point where he would just straight up skip sessions because he dreaded them so much.

Try it out once or twice per week, but if you start getting burnt out just cut back...everyone's different, just find what works for you

Anthony
08-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Try it before you decide how often you want to do it ... lol.

gains2385
08-03-2006, 07:13 AM
I did it twice this week, am going to do another set of 20 rep squats today (to make that twice) and I feel like a million dollars. I ate kind of rough yesterday, a lot of natty peanut butter because I was stressed, but after doing the thrusters I felt like it wasn't so bad.

Lovin the thrusters...

ShockBoxer
08-08-2006, 04:58 AM
I did 8 rounds of 20 reps with a single 20 pound DB held military press style on Sunday. I finished in 4:45 instead of 4 minutes and my quads have been toast since -- to the point where my girlfriend saw me walking gingerly and said 'you didn't do 500 jumping jacks again, did you? (I did that four years ago and could barely walk for a week).

Guess I won't be doing these between lifting days.

gains2385
08-08-2006, 06:04 AM
I did 8 rounds of 20 reps with a single 20 pound DB held military press style on Sunday. I finished in 4:45 instead of 4 minutes and my quads have been toast since -- to the point where my girlfriend saw me walking gingerly and said 'you didn't do 500 jumping jacks again, did you? (I did that four years ago and could barely walk for a week).

Guess I won't be doing these between lifting days.
So far, I have been doing these twice a week with 20-rep squats once-twice a week. I am loving it.

Steele
08-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Cheers for the link dudey, someone reccomended tabata thrusters but i had no idea what they were. Think ill do them twice a week during body recomposition :D

-Steele

stevec087
08-08-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm pretty sure tabata means as many as you can do in a certain time span. (Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong)

Check http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html for stuff like thrusters.

I'm planning on doing the WOD at crossfit for a month before lacrosse starts this coming spring to get in shape. Until then I'm bulking.

Eszekial
08-08-2006, 09:55 AM
I did this with 35 lbs dumbells.

It's a mental stressor more then anything.

I definetly recommend. Trains your mind and your body.

Unreal
08-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Cheers for the link dudey, someone reccomended tabata thrusters but i had no idea what they were. Think ill do them twice a week during body recomposition :D

-Steele

Good luck with that. I tried it out Wednesday with front squats and don't look forward to doing it again anytime soon. I will do it again, but remembering what it felt like makes me all queezy inside.

ShockBoxer
08-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I was going to do them Sundays and Mondays (leaving Wed and Friday as full rest days: I lift Tues, Thur, Sat) but yesterday I did ONE and my quads told me in no uncertain terms to **** off.

Think I'll throw in jump rope for that second day instead.

Eszekial
08-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Doing this tonight AFTER a full body workout :D

Steele
08-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Lol, by the sounds of it i'll probably do them once and then curl up n die instead. Best foot forward though! =) Maybe twice a week is a lil too ambitious..

-Steele

Good luck with that. I tried it out Wednesday with front squats and don't look forward to doing it again anytime soon. I will do it again, but remembering what it felt like makes me all queezy inside.

gains2385
08-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Lol, by the sounds of it i'll probably do them once and then curl up n die instead. Best foot forward though! =) Maybe twice a week is a lil too ambitious..

-Steele
I did them on my two off days. It just gets the blood really pumping.

Steele
08-08-2006, 04:03 PM
kk, i'll try some dumbell squats bit later and see how it goes. Will keep you posted =)

-Steele

I did them on my two off days. It just gets the blood really pumping.

come back kid
08-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Can this be done on "Leg Day"? Currently on WBB1, would like to try this just to throw something a little different in the mix.

homeboy7600
08-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I do cardio two days of the week, basically 30-45 mins of Hiit running. Is this a suitable replacement?

gains2385
08-09-2006, 09:19 PM
:strong:
I do cardio two days of the week, basically 30-45 mins of Hiit running. Is this a suitable replacement?
Try them out and then see. I don't know if it will cover 30-45 minutes of HIIT running, but it is an intense whole body workout for four minutes so...
:strong:

ehscrewdude
08-10-2006, 02:16 PM
yea... i thought it would be easy... I picked up two ten pounders and barely finished.... this will wreck you in cardio...

Anthony
08-10-2006, 03:04 PM
You're doing HIIT for 45 minutes? You must be a monster ... or you must be using long and slow intervals.

laxguy1028
08-12-2006, 01:57 PM
I did tabata thrusters with 12 pound dumbells then tabata jumprope for 4 minutes and it was a very good workout, this is a great exercise

care_bear
08-12-2006, 02:04 PM
i did them after working legs....after i did 2 minutes i spent 10 minutes panned out on the floor wondering wether my legs were ok or not...they're fairly sore today...not to be underestimated!!!

BigDreamz
05-26-2007, 03:20 PM
This (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=490160) has got to be one of the best HIIT things that I have ever done. I did the thrusters with the dumbbells, and wow, it is a killer. I felt it in my entire body.

There might be another post about this stuff, but I just wanted to stress how great it is and that if you are on a cut, it will almost certainly help with losing the fat and keeping the muscle. I also wanted to stress the importance of starting with a weight you can do. I tried 25lbs and only did it for 1.5 minutes. Then I went down to 20 and only did it for 2 minutes. I had to all the way down to 10lbs (each arm) to complete it for four minutes and even though that is a light weight, it was an awesome workout!

Highly recommended and it only takes four minutes. :hump:

Wow thanks so much for this! I gotta try it....I've been looking for some alternate effective cardio methods since my treadmill belt snapped.

BeastyBrad123
05-26-2007, 04:14 PM
wow, that was possibly the hardest 4 minutes of my life. Would it be dangerous to do this everyday? ( very low wieght )