PDA

View Full Version : Working out and nutrition

Steele
08-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Sup folks, first post on these boards so heya =) Seeking a bit of advice at the mo; i'm soon to start working out with a view to joining the fire service. This should begin in about 3 weeks, got my workout plan and everything sorted. On the diet side of things, i'm currently eating 6 small meals a day with 3 hour intervals between each, wholemeal/fruit + veg/low fat dairy and lean meat/fish, with some healthy fats included. The one bad aspect is that I don't drink enough water.

The thing i need help with is that when i was 13, i began piling on weight. At 17, i weighed just under 15st @ 5ft2 =) Decided to diet, lost some weight, started eating healthily and am now 6ft1, weighing in @ just under 11 and a half stone. This is all fine and dandy, but the thing i am worried about is increasing my calorie intake to bulk up, chiefly because people who have been fat in the past find it much easier to put weight back on - I'm kinda scared that a lot of the extra calories is gonna make a one way trip to my midriff. Any ideas?

Ta muchos,
-Steele =)

sharkall2003
08-01-2006, 08:36 AM
If your macros are partitioned correctly and you are living an active lifestyle consider upping the calories by 200-300 a day. That's like two bananas, 1 cup oats, a gatorade, ect. Also, if you're that worried about gaining extra weight by increasing calories you should try and do more cardio.

Ricochet_kid
08-01-2006, 06:01 PM
consider upping the calories by 200-300 a day.
woah there...

How bout 200-300 per week or two. Monitor the results.If you're doing this and you are getting fatter than you want, then stop increasing, your calories. If you continue to get fatter than you want, then decrease calories a bit. It's as simple as that. (use fitday)

Also, if you're that worried about gaining extra weight by increasing calories you should try and do more cardio.

I disaggree with this. Don't bother with the cardio unless you are training for cardio or some sport where it's useful. Cardio burns calories. From a fat gain/loss point of view burning 500 calories with cardio is the same as just not eating those 500 calories in the first place. (only the second option doesn't waste so much time)

You need to control your calories and see how your body responds, then adjust them accordingly. This works.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, the cardio might be useful for the firefighting thing. (running up stairs with heavy loads, etc..) I'm just saying if you're primarily worried about gaining/losing fat, that's not the thing to focus on.(IMO).

Steele
08-01-2006, 06:11 PM
thanks very much for input, although personally i believe that cardio is crucial for a healthy heart :P Will need it in the fire service too, so it's not something i can cut.

-Conan =)

fixationdarknes
08-01-2006, 06:33 PM
True. Cardio is mostly good for, well, cardiac strength. It's not needed to help with fat problems, but can be added if you want.

Paladyr
08-01-2006, 07:19 PM
woah there...

How bout 200-300 per week or two. Monitor the results.If you're doing this and you are getting fatter than you want, then stop increasing, your calories. If you continue to get fatter than you want, then decrease calories a bit. It's as simple as that. (use fitday)

I disaggree with this. Don't bother with the cardio unless you are training for cardio or some sport where it's useful. Cardio burns calories. From a fat gain/loss point of view burning 500 calories with cardio is the same as just not eating those 500 calories in the first place. (only the second option doesn't waste so much time)

You need to control your calories and see how your body responds, then adjust them accordingly. This works.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, the cardio might be useful for the firefighting thing. (running up stairs with heavy loads, etc..) I'm just saying if you're primarily worried about gaining/losing fat, that's not the thing to focus on.(IMO).

If he's bulking, he does need to up the calories by 10-15%. Adding 200 calories per week is only adding 29 calories per day lol. That's not much of a bulk!

To the OP, using fitday is a MUST IMO if you plan on bulking and don't want to gain a lot of fat. You have to know what you are putting into your body to make sure you aren't eating too much (and that you're eating enough).

So let's say your eating 2500 calories a day and your weight is going no where. You'll want to add 250 calories per day to start getting bigger. I like to eat a little more on workout days, and a little less on resting days (specifically carbs), but that's up to you.

Steele
08-02-2006, 05:05 AM
Thanks a bunch for feedback, i've heard of this fitday thing - excuse my newbie ignorance, but what is it? :p

-Steele

Unreal
08-02-2006, 07:19 AM
www.fitday.com

A website that helps track your calories/food intake.

Steele
08-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Thanks geeza. Any ideas as to how i would keep muscle growth at a high during bulk without piling on tons of fat?

-Steele

Steele
08-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Woah, that fitday looks well complex. Pretty detailed though :P

-Conan

Paladyr
08-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks geeza. Any ideas as to how i would keep muscle growth at a high during bulk without piling on tons of fat?

-Steele

Read what I posted, that's how you do it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-02-2006, 02:54 PM
If he's bulking, he does need to up the calories by 10-15%. Adding 200 calories per week is only adding 29 calories per day lol. That's not much of a bulk!And why is that?

So let's say your eating 2500 calories a day and your weight is going no where. You'll want to add 250 calories per day to start getting bigger.???

Paladyr
08-02-2006, 03:04 PM
And why is that?

???

Are you joking? You think adding 29 calories per day is a bulk?

I don't know what the question marks are for. 10% of 2500 is 250.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Are you joking? Your stomach needs time to adjust to new bulk. And adding 250 calories a DAY is not the best way to go about seeing how your body reacts to caloric intake. It is a trial and error process. Adding 1750 calories a week is a bit insane.

LivinItUp
08-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Sup folks, first post on these boards so heya =) Seeking a bit of advice at the mo; i'm soon to start working out with a view to joining the fire service. This should begin in about 3 weeks, got my workout plan and everything sorted. On the diet side of things, i'm currently eating 6 small meals a day with 3 hour intervals between each, wholemeal/fruit + veg/low fat dairy and lean meat/fish, with some healthy fats included. The one bad aspect is that I don't drink enough water.

The thing i need help with is that when i was 13, i began piling on weight. At 17, i weighed just under 15st @ 5ft2 =) Decided to diet, lost some weight, started eating healthily and am now 6ft1, weighing in @ just under 11 and a half stone. This is all fine and dandy, but the thing i am worried about is increasing my calorie intake to bulk up, chiefly because people who have been fat in the past find it much easier to put weight back on - I'm kinda scared that a lot of the extra calories is gonna make a one way trip to my midriff. Any ideas?

Ta muchos,
-Steele =)

Don't worry about it, lift hard,heavy and workout. If it does pile on as fat, which is highly doubtful. Then start up some cardio. For me, I've been eating like a monster and gained 3.5 lbs this week and I have yet to see any signs of fat. I do feel awesome when I lift now, probably from all the extra food haha

Paladyr
08-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Are you joking? Your stomach needs time to adjust to new bulk. And adding 250 calories a DAY is not the best way to go about seeing how your body reacts to caloric intake. It is a trial and error process. Adding 1750 calories a week is a bit insane.

haha have fun with that bulk!!!! Can you find anyone anywhere on any website recommending you start by adding 29 calories per day??? That's hilarious.

I see you didn't have a reply here either when I corrected you after you made a smart remark trying to talk down to people:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1443007#post1443007

Leave the attitude at home.

Edit: You do realize your saying in order for this person to bulk, they need to add 1 cubic inch of a slice of wheat bread per day to their diet. hahahaahhaha. Awesome.

Edit 2: Could you add some more stuff to your sig? It took me less than 5 minutes to scroll past it.

Built
08-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Okay, semantics.

Add 200-300 calories to your day for a week, then another 200-300 calories. So, for example, if you're currently eating 2500 calories a day, go to 2750 a day for a week or two, then go to 3000. If you gain too fast, don't increase. If you stall, increase again.

Stray
08-02-2006, 06:52 PM

I agree dude - 29 calories is a bit silly...that's what..one grape?

Paladyr
08-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Yea and I guarantee the average american diet varies by a lot more than 250 calories per day. The stomach can certainly handle a 250 calorie bulk.

My dad for example wrote down everything he ate in a 2 week period. He had days where he ate 1000 more calories than the previous day.

whiteman90909
08-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Its really hard to add anything under 100 calories per day because fitday can be a bit un-specific at times and you may cheating by getting a few too many or too few calories.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-02-2006, 07:16 PM
haha have fun with that bulk!!!! Can you find anyone anywhere on any website recommending you start by adding 29 calories per day??? That's hilarious.HAHAHAHA! Oh wait, that isn't funny in any way.

That doesn't make any sense. It's your previous caloric intake plus 200-300 calories more every day for a week. It's eating 200-300 calories a day more than the previous week, not 29. It's not slowly adding up to equal an extra 200-300 calories. If you're at 2,500 and you're not gaining you increase it by about 200 and that would make it 2,700. You'd then STAY AT 2,700 every day for a week and if aren't gaining, add another 200-300 the following week. I don't understand where the 29 calories nonsense came from. You're like sitting at your computer laughing at something you created by yourself. Congrats.

Okay, semantics.

Add 200-300 calories to your day for a week, then another 200-300 calories. So, for example, if you're currently eating 2500 calories a day, go to 2750 a day for a week or two, then go to 3000. If you gain too fast, don't increase. If you stall, increase again.What she said.

Slim Schaedle
08-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Yo, people

The original post that said 200-300 per day increase did NOT mean every other day after that consecutively. It meant 200-300 above maintenance each day for a week or two.

I have no idea how many of you misread that and turned it into poo flinging.

Built
08-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Honestly, it was pretty darned obvious.

Sheesh!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-02-2006, 07:37 PM
The original post that said 200-300 per day increase did NOT mean every other day after that consecutively. It meant 200-300 above maintenance each day for a week or two.He said "You'll want to add 250 calories per day to start getting bigger" and then replied with this:

If he's bulking, he does need to up the calories by 10-15%. Adding 200 calories per week is only adding 29 calories per day lol. That's not much of a bulk!Yeah...

Honestly, it was pretty darned obvious.

Sheesh!My brain hurts.

Paladyr
08-02-2006, 07:47 PM
And why is that?

???

Ricochet suggested adding only 200-300 per week, saying that 200-300 per day was way too much.

I said that's not much of a bulk, after stating that adding 200-300 per week was not enough (29 calories per day), and you replied "why is that", suggesting that it was a sufficient bulk and I was crazy for thinking otherwise.

In my example, there was a ficticious person with 2500 as maintenance calories. I said they should add 250 (10%) calories per day. To that, you replied "???".

Was that really so hard to comprehend?

lol. Do you follow???? Suggesting someone bulk by eating an extra grape a day is hilarious.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-02-2006, 07:56 PM
It isn't adding 29 calories per day. It's staying at 200-300 calories a day above the previous week. 29 calories a day does not apply as you're not slowly adding 29 calories a day to reach the 200-300 for the week. I'm not the one with the comprehension problem. I understand you perfecly and I don't agree with your method of mass consumption. Adding 1750 calories a week is not caloric manipulation. It's gorging yourself. Again, you're having a dandy good time sitting behind the computer and laughing at something that nobody said.

whiteman90909
08-02-2006, 07:59 PM
I have no idea how many of you misread that and turned it into poo flinging.
I just got the funniest mental image. :zipit:

Paladyr
08-02-2006, 08:16 PM
It isn't adding 29 calories per day. It's staying at 200-300 calories a day above the previous week. 29 calories a day does not apply as you're not slowly adding 29 calories a day to reach the 200-300 for the week. I'm not the one with the comprehension problem. I understand you perfecly and I don't agree with your method of mass consumption. Adding 1750 calories a week is not caloric manipulation. It's gorging yourself. Again, you're having a dandy good time sitting behind the computer and laughing at something that nobody said.

Amazing... I don't know how anyone misinterpreted this post:

"If your macros are partitioned correctly and you are living an active lifestyle consider upping the calories by 200-300 a day. That's like two bananas, 1 cup oats, a gatorade, ect. Also, if you're that worried about gaining extra weight by increasing calories you should try and do more cardio."

If you up the calories 200-300 a day, you are taking maintenance calories (2500), and bumping it up by 200 to 2700, and STAYING at 2700, not adding an additional 200 calories to what you ate the previous day, every day. Who would even think someone would suggest that? You would be eating astronomical amounts of food by year's end!!!! lol.

Slim Schaedle
08-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Holy crap...

Ok, Ricochet_kid misinterpreted it first.

Paladyr went off of what Ricochet_kid said and provided the 29 cals/day example.

Scarz went off of what Paladyr said.

It was misintepreted from the start so drop it.

Scarz, I am pretty sure Paladyr doesn't mean 250 extra everyday. "250 per day" means an excess amount of 250 calories above maintenance per day.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Scarz, I am pretty sure Paladyr doesn't mean 250 extra everyday. "250 per day" means an excess amount of 250 calories above maintenance per day.That's what I hope he means because that's the same thing I said multiple times, but every time I say what you just said, he responds with things like this:

If you up the calories 200-300 a day, you are taking maintenance calories (2500), and bumping it up by 200 to 2700, and STAYING at 2700, not adding an additional 200 calories to what you ate the previous day, every day. Who would even think someone would suggest that? You would be eating astronomical amounts of food by year's end!!!! lol.So I have no idea what he means at this point and I'm done discussing it. :bang:

:thumbup:

sharkall2003
08-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Wow, does everyone overthink everything. If your eating 2500 calories a day then start eating 2700-2800 per day, for a week. If you don't gain any weight, then go and start eating 2800-3100, for a week. Does everyone get it now?

Steele
08-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Worked out my maintenance @ 2000, so when i start lifting gonna be on roughly 2250 per day, without cardio :S I'm pretty certain lack of cardio is gonna be a bad thing

-Steele

fixationdarknes
08-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Again, you're having a dandy good time sitting behind the computer and laughing at something that nobody said.

ROFL. Man this was a funny debate. Scarz, you're awesome.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Well if someone laughed, then I have accomplished my goal. :thumbup:

ehscrewdude
08-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Worked out my maintenance @ 2000, so when i start lifting gonna be on roughly 2250 per day, without cardio :S I'm pretty certain lack of cardio is gonna be a bad thing

-Steele

Just do tabata thrusters! those count as cardio!

Ricochet_kid
08-04-2006, 05:46 AM
LOL, this is hilarious,
It is my first time back. I didnt' mean to get you guys all tied in a knot. On second reading I guess I just misinterpreted sharkall's post, but I have seen/heard worse advice given than adding 1750 per week so it's not that impossible that someone might suggest it, even though it is ludicrous.
Even in Berardi's first massive eating article(s) I think he suggested a large sudden increase like that, it wasn't until the second version of those articles that he suggested to ramp up more reasonably.

- That's what I thought.

Okay, semantics.
Add 200-300 calories to your day for a week, then another 200-300 calories. So, for example, if you're currently eating 2500 calories a day, go to 2750 a day for a week or two, then go to 3000. If you gain too fast, don't increase. If you stall, increase again.
- Thank you Built.

Suggesting someone bulk by eating an extra grape a day is hilarious.
- Words of wisdom for sure. :-)

motoko013
08-05-2006, 05:03 AM

-Steele

if you're worried about cardio.....and you REALLY want to do it...just add some HIIT a couple times a week....just make sure you eat more on those days....

and the whole 200-300 a day calorie debate was fun to watch....