PDA

View Full Version : 4 simple dextrose questions.

unstop
08-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Currently post workout I've been drinking a whey shake (at the gym directly after the workout) and eating a whole food with it (baked potato) as a carb source the second I get home (15-20mins later). It seems as though most people prefer dextrose as their post workout carb. I'm thinking of giving it a shot, but I have some questions...

1. I know dextrose is just a sugar. So, first of all, is there anything bad about consuming basically pure sugar like this on a regular basis? Yeah, it's mixed with protein, but it's still just drinking a large amount of sugar 4 times a week. Any health risk associated with something like that?

2. Speaking of an amount, what would the recommended whey:dextrose ratio be? Or does it depend on body weight?

3. I'm looking at it online, and I see the serving size is 4 Grams (1.25 tsp). Unless I'm missing something, this would mean it would take something in the range of 10-20 teaspoons for each shake?

4. Assuming I do add dextrose to my post workout meal, it will be whey, dextrose and water in a shaker bottle... how exactly does that taste? And, are there any strange bodily feelings afterwards?

Thanks in advance.

Con
08-01-2006, 01:50 PM
1. Compared to the amount people in the US eat, not really.

2. Its individual but less when cutting rather than bulking. I take about 60 grams.

3. Maybe

4. Its really sweet mixed with w.e flavor protein you have. Pretty good.

Built
08-01-2006, 02:21 PM
1. You're fine

2 and 3:
Strength athletes/weight lifters interested in increasing muscle mass
Sip 0.8g/kg carbohydrate and 0.4g/kg protein dissolved in 1L of water during exercise.
Immediately after exercise ingest another identical beverage.
Eat a solid food meal 1 hour later.
Strength athletes/weight lifters interested in preserving muscle mass while dieting
Sip 0.4g/kg carbohydrate and 0.2g/kg protein dissolved in 0.5L of water during exercise.
Eat a solid food meal 1 hour after exercise.
(http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/reviews/pc.htm)

Conveniently, a 70-cc Nitrean scoop measures out 24g of protein (in a 30-g serving of Nitrean) and about 45g of dextrose/maltodextrin (I weighed it out to check).

4. Sweet, but not as sweet as table sugar.

unstop
08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys/girls.

Nosaj
08-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Gimme a D, D!
Gimme a E, E!
Gimme a X, X!
Gimme a T, T!
Gimme a R, R!
Gimme a O, O!
Gimme a S, S!
Gimme a E, E!

What's that spell? TASTY! :clap: :hump:

SkinnySadMan
08-01-2006, 09:58 PM
MmMm .. High School FEMALE cheer leaders.

Con
08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey built would it matter if you had the shake right after working out? does it make a big difference of drinkin it during or after a workout?

Also for the meal 1 hour afterward. that should be carbs and protein right?

Built
08-01-2006, 10:24 PM
During AND after is probably ideal.

Yes, carbs and protein. I usually do a sweet potato and chicken with bbq sauce and tons of salt.

Mmmmm salt ...

Con
08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
So drink a shake along those guidlines, then drink another right after and then still have a meal later?

Built
08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Yep.

:)

unstop
08-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Built, my "1 hour after" meal consists of tuna fish (protein), whole wheat pita bread (carbs) and olive oil (fat).

Is having fat in this meal a big no-no?