PDA

View Full Version : What should I look for on labels?

wdjuqi
08-01-2006, 07:32 PM
What do you look for on nutritional facts to find good, heathly foods for a bulk? I know trans fat are bad, but what else? Obviously high protein is a plus. Can you guys help me out?

Nosaj
08-01-2006, 07:46 PM
It's good you're asking questions, it shows you're interested in learning. My advice to you is to read the stickies, lots of nutrition information, including a list of "what a body builder eats". Do a bit of searching/research, then post again when you have more specific questions. :)

Quattro
08-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Nutrition Info is a good place to start. Check the sat and trans fat content. But afterwards shoot a glance at the ingredients - I try to avoid HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), hydrogenated oils, sugar alcohols, sugar (unless listed as one of the last ingredients), and artificial sweetners.

wdjuqi
08-02-2006, 07:20 PM
It's good you're asking questions, it shows you're interested in learning. My advice to you is to read the stickies, lots of nutrition information, including a list of "what a body builder eats". Do a bit of searching/research, then post again when you have more specific questions. :)

The "what a bodybuilder eats" thread is simply listing what to eat...not WHY you should eat it. I just don't want to go to my fridge and pick something just because it has a lot of calories. I've been searching the forums and I haven't found anything explaining what to look for in the nutritional facts on labels. "Trans fat bad" is really the only thing explained on here.

Turnip
08-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Salts, sugars, trans fats, and cholesterol should be low I suppose just because alot of companys like to stick a boatload of this crap in to promote taste and shelflife.

lifter4life
08-02-2006, 11:07 PM
What should I look for on labels?

calories

DeviceX
08-02-2006, 11:23 PM
:withstupi

The stickies have alot of good reading in them, check em out!

KingWilder
08-02-2006, 11:29 PM
if people always searched and never asked the same/similar questions this board wouldn't really have a purpose...

:rolleyes:

wdjuqi
08-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Salts, sugars, trans fats, and cholesterol should be low I suppose just because alot of companys like to stick a boatload of this crap in to promote taste and shelflife.

Through the mounds of sarcasm and unfunny jokes, I found my answer. Thank you.

On a clean bulk, look for the following on the nutritional facts

low sugar, low salts, no trans fat, and low cholesterol.

high protein, high calories, and high carbs?

shootermcgavin7
08-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Protein
Carbohydrate
-How much of the carbohydrate is sugar

Fat
-How much of the fat is saturated

Sodium

& Calories, if you don't feel like doing the multiplication yourself.