PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on bulk diet

Steele
08-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Supsup, wondering as to the constraints of the 'clean bulk' phrase and a bit of help with my diet =) I'm a 20 year old 6ft1 male, current weight is 157lbs, kind of a 'skinnyfat' frame. I'd make a guess that my current kcal intake to maintain a steady weight is 1700-1900 per day. I'm aiming to include 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight (235.5g p/day, 940kcal), and .3g of healthy fats per lb (47g p/day, 424kcal), the rest to be made up in carbs. Currently, looking at 1365 calories from the above, so aiming for about 100 - 120g of carbs to hit my base kcal intake.

How much extra would be required to start bulking and not piling on excess weight? Is this even possible, because i used to be morbidly obese and thus it's easier for me to gain weight than many others?

-Steele

Steele
08-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Ok, or someone can just post some ratio guidelines for me to adhere to :p

-Steele

DeviceX
08-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Supsup, wondering as to the constraints of the 'clean bulk' phrase and a bit of help with my diet =) I'm a 20 year old 6ft1 male, current weight is 157lbs, kind of a 'skinnyfat' frame. I'd make a guess that my current kcal intake to maintain a steady weight is 1700-1900 per day. I'm aiming to include 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight (235.5g p/day, 940kcal), and .3g of healthy fats per lb (47g p/day, 424kcal), the rest to be made up in carbs. Currently, looking at 1365 calories from the above, so aiming for about 100 - 120g of carbs to hit my base kcal intake.

How much extra would be required to start bulking and not piling on excess weight? Is this even possible, because i used to be morbidly obese and thus it's easier for me to gain weight than many others?

-Steele

Skinnyfat frame?

Suggestions:
1) Get a fitday.com account.
- Track your macros for a week or so. ( I found this to be a massive shocker to how poorly I was eating.)
2) Check out this link. Will give you an estimated for intake.
Calorie Calculator (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm)
3) If you aren't getting desired amount of gains a week up the calories some.

I cannot answer your last question, as I'm not sure, when you were obese, did you just grow taller? or did you lose a large amount of weight?

Steele
08-03-2006, 06:26 AM
I dieted for nine months and lost 3stone, whilst growing =) I've also stuck on 1-2 pounds over the last week after trying to find my maintenance kcals, been drinking loads so hoping it's water retention : /

-Steele

Paladyr
08-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Some people may disagree with me but I think 1.5g/lb of bodyweight in protein is excessive. I prefer to stay much closer to 1g/lb of LBM (Lean Body Mass). I would consider that the minimum though.

Anyway when you are bulking you shouldn't be overly concerned with ratios. You just need to make sure you are eating enough protein and healthy fats.

Start by entering everything you are eating into fitday.com to find your maintenance calories. Once you have that, add 10-15% and start eating that much per day. If you aren't progressing in how much weight you move each week, add some more calories to your daily amount.

Steele
08-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks a lot fella =) Wrong forum to post in, don't suppose you could reccomend some budget power racks and olympic weight sets?

-Steele

teaturtle
08-03-2006, 09:16 AM
^^ COuld anyone recommened a cheap place to purchase an olympic bar from too? heeh.

Steele
08-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Lol, i work in a pub and the idea of forking out £70 for a 7ft piece of metal pisses me off. That's like, 2 hours work per foot of the bar, which is a piece of cast steel with etching.

-Steele

Paladyr
08-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks a lot fella =) Wrong forum to post in, don't suppose you could reccomend some budget power racks and olympic weight sets?

-Steele

I'm a gym guy, but I would start with the local newspaper and try to find a used set. You could also try craigslist.com

Steele
08-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Cheers =) Only problem with local gym is that it is tiny, and all the roid ragers crowd the freeweights section.

-Steele