PDA

View Full Version : How to Deal with a Candy Addiction

Tsuki No Neko
08-02-2006, 10:36 PM
I've got a severe sweet tooth, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

To make matter worse, I just -adore- candy. Which is probably the worst sweets out there. And cheesecake. God.

During my cut I've been doing pretty good about avoiding sweets (I still eat light ice cream/frozen yogurt, but that's not all that bad I don't think), but every time I see a candy commercial or something, I hurt. >_< I still crave this stuff like mad. Being miserable while cutting does not help you keep on track. >_>

I don't expect cutting to be a bed of roses, especially when what I crave is utter crap for my body, but there must be a good way of dealing with my sweet tooth. I recently purchased yogurt coated soy nuts from Soy Revival (haven't gotten them yet though), but I need more help.

What do you all do to deal with your cravings and sweet tooth?

RedSpikeyThing
08-02-2006, 10:38 PM
I've seen candies made for diabetics - I assume they are low cal, since they contain little/no sugar. I don't that would be quite as satisfying, but it's a start!

Tsuki No Neko
08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
I've seen candies made for diabetics - I assume they are low cal, since they contain little/no sugar. I don't that would be quite as satisfying, but it's a start!

Actually, that is a remarkably good idea and I can't believe I didn't think of it. I just hope that sort of stuff still tastes good. o_o Any one ever try that sort of stuff?

ShockBoxer
08-02-2006, 10:46 PM
I'd just slice up an apple and sprinkle cinnamon on it rather than mess around with artificially sweetened diabetic candies.

Tsuki No Neko
08-02-2006, 10:50 PM
I'd just slice up an apple and sprinkle cinnamon on it rather than mess around with artificially sweetened diabetic candies.

You must not have much of a sweet tooth, because as far as my cravings are concerned, fruit is not a good substitute for chocolate or candy. x_x Fruit is yummy, and I love a good peach, but it doesn't do much for the candy cravings. >_>

KingWilder
08-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I actually don't really like sweet stuff too much anymore...every once in awhile I'll grab a Dove Dark Choc. bar (and maybe the occassional piece of cheesecake)

I do have a weakspot for ice-cream/milkshakes though...I prob. don't have them more than once a week and I always make it fit into my caloric needs for the day.

ShockBoxer
08-02-2006, 10:56 PM
That's funny. :) I used to plan what I wanted for supper at a restaurant around what desserts they had available. I put on 20 pounds during my marriage and forty after my divorce that way.

I was cutting on POP TARTS not even two months ago because I stubbornly refused to give up my junk food. It's only because my IBS flared up really badly that I've dropped my simple sugar intake down to one treat a week (a slice of six layer chocolate cake from Swiss Chalet is pretty good).

Once I gave my precious junk food up for two weeks I stopped missing it. I'm not going back to eating a chocolate bar every night any time soon.

Stray
08-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Just limit your intake and save some dark chocolate for really bad cravings (less sugar more antioxidants).

That diabetic candy gives some folks diarhea...a long time ago kids would play practical jokes on other kids by replacing normal candy with diabetic candy for just such an effect.:p

Stumprrp
08-02-2006, 11:01 PM
cheesecake is godly my friend i feel you, however making a nice protien shake can be a treat sometimes if you really spice it up!

Aqualoo
08-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Just limit your intake and save some dark chocolate for really bad cravings (less sugar more antioxidants).

That diabetic candy gives some folks diarhea...a long time ago kids would play practical jokes on other kids by replacing normal candy with diabetic candy for just such an effect.:p

That's only if you eat a lot of it.. trust me... I know.....

Unholy
08-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Sugar free candy can taste great. Look in the diabetic section of your major supermarket and im sure you will find what you are looking for!

Optimum08
08-03-2006, 12:30 AM
one of my new favorites...banana cream pie.

Clifford Gillmore
08-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Honestly, most protein powders over satisfy my sweet cravings. I love dark chocolates though, but I out weigh it by telling myself I'm ingesting lovely anti-oxidants.

KingWilder
08-03-2006, 12:35 AM
oreo cheesequake blizzard from Dairy Queen.....

DeviceX
08-03-2006, 12:42 AM
oreo cheesequake blizzard from Dairy Queen.....

:drooling:

Sontizzle
08-03-2006, 12:49 AM
jesus christ im glad i hate candy/sweets or id really be screwed when i start cutting because i cant let any bad habit go lol

Triddy
08-03-2006, 05:01 AM
if you eat sweets your just cheating yourself

KingWilder
08-03-2006, 06:52 AM
haha whatever dude, live a little

Steele
08-03-2006, 07:32 AM
It's all subjective, after a serious and strict cut you will begin to appreciate the healthy alternatives and wonder why you even ate such junk, if you are constantly clinging on to the idea that candy is 'nice', you will get nowhere.

Basically, it calls for the need to seperate the concept of 'pleasure' from eating for a little while, most of it is psychological (Would your body crave something as artificial as cheesecake?)

-Steele

KingWilder
08-03-2006, 08:31 AM
psychological.....nope, I'm pretty sure it's my mouth saying "that tastes wonderful!"

Steele
08-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Ya, but to put it bluntly - it is placing foodstuffs in your mouth to stimulate tastebuds, which then carry signals to receptors in your brain which flare up, and make you feel 'good'. It may taste wonderful, but your body doesn't want it. That's why there are no plants with cheesecake growing on them, so yah, it must to some degree be psychological.

In my experience, one of the great challenges facing dieters worldwide is finding out that to shun junk food, you must see things as they are. For example, if you look at a piece of food as some kind of mouth-wateringly slice of gastro-orgasm, then you're doomed (lots of people actually do this, viewing the ensuing experience of eating it rather than the sum of parts. It's much more fun, for one). However, if you look at it as if it is, a slice of cheesecake, then you're well on your way to shedding pounds. Stoicism, that's the ticket ;)

-Steele

Paladyr
08-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Ya, but to put it bluntly - it is placing foodstuffs in your mouth to stimulate tastebuds, which then carry signals to receptors in your brain which flare up, and make you feel 'good'. It may taste wonderful, but your body doesn't want it. That's why there are no plants with cheesecake growing on them, so yah, it must to some degree be psychological.

In my experience, one of the great challenges facing dieters worldwide is finding out that to shun junk food, you must see things as they are. For example, if you look at a piece of food as some kind of mouth-wateringly slice of gastro-orgasm, then you're doomed (lots of people actually do this, viewing the ensuing experience of eating it rather than the sum of parts. It's much more fun, for one). However, if you look at it as if it is, a slice of cheesecake, then you're well on your way to shedding pounds. Stoicism, that's the ticket ;)

-Steele

Actually this guy is describing exactly what happened to me.

I used to look at soft batch cookies, brownies, chocolate, starbursts, etc... that way, but after dieting and training for so long, eating these things at times when I know I shouldn't (like cutting as opposed to bulking where one or two would be okay), causes me to feel very guilty even thinking about it, and I see the candy as calorie dense and something that's not going to help me accomplish my goals, instead of something that's going to make me feel wonderful.

The cravings have gone down as my diet has improved. The less candy you eat, I think the less you crave it. I know if I have a cheat day, the day after is the toughest to resist cheating again. So I think the longer you go without the foods you crave, the easier it will get.

Steele
08-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Why thank'ee :p I used to spend all of my spare money on junk food, was pretty tragic. Haven't actually bought any junk food for ages, not even a chocolate bar or packet of crisps. I even feel guilty if i go over 2000kcal a day ^^

Edit: Which is where the subjective thing comes from. Say for example, your staple diet consists of white bread/processed meat products/chips/fizzy drinks. You will see a chocolate bar as a nice snack. Now take a person who eats wholegrain rice/wholemeal bread/veg/oats/lean poultry/low fat dairy. Their idea of a treat would be half an apple sprinkled with cinnamon, or a cup of non-fat yoghurt with a tad bit of honey mixed in. Also, there's nothing as fulfilling as digging your teeth into an apple - i love the crunchy sound of the first bite :D

-Steele

KingWilder
08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
well I'll have to remember all that if I ever get fat, but I'm not too worried about it. I enjoy having sweets on occassion and nothing anyone ever says will change that.

whiteman90909
08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
I dunno but whenever I get a sweet craving, I either eat fruit or grahm crackers.

Steele
08-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Good idea. Modern food processing techniques are the bane of humanity.

-Steele

KingWilder
08-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I see that you're a reformed glutton...I'm guessing you were fat? Is this why you have so much hate towards sweets?

Steele
08-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't lay the blame entirely at junk food manufacturer's doorsteps, if anything i hate them more now than i did back then. But, they are geared towards profit, and changing a whole multitude of people from their natural human state to fat monstrosities (however long this process takes) is something they have to answer for. And for the governments to do nothing, while their voters are seduced into obesity by profiteering multinationals is a frankly outrageous situation - Something must be done.

-Steele

Eszekial
08-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Something must be done?

It's called exercise and proper eating habits.

Nobody is force feeding the fatties.

They have no one to blame but their parents and themselves.

Steele
08-03-2006, 11:56 AM
You only say that because you can look down on fat people because they haven't made the same fitness gains as yourself.

-Steele

Tsuki No Neko
08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Okay, well, this has gotten off topic a tad. >_> I just wanted to know how people DEAL with their cravings. If you don't have them, congrats. If you think I'm sick and disgusting for having cravings, keep your thoughts to yourself, mmkay? :P

To the people who actually contributed constructive advice, I appreciate it. Also, suggestions on how to spice up the ol' protein shake are appreciated as well! I might try that today. :)

Paladyr
08-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't lay the blame entirely at junk food manufacturer's doorsteps, if anything i hate them more now than i did back then. But, they are geared towards profit, and changing a whole multitude of people from their natural human state to fat monstrosities (however long this process takes) is something they have to answer for. And for the governments to do nothing, while their voters are seduced into obesity by profiteering multinationals is a frankly outrageous situation - Something must be done.

-Steele

I think what he's saying is that these junk food companies COULD take it upon themselves to make their food still taste great, but maybe make them more filling or healthy. Instead, they brand something as the "low fat" version of a particular food while they are adding 50 calories to each serving.

Also for the record, while I have negative feelings toward sweets now, I was never actually overweight, just became obsessed with being lean.

I eat oatmeal raisin cookies, and chocolate protein drinks, as well as chocolate peanut butter zone perfect bars to keep my chocolate cravings at bay. I also use splenda and drink diet sprite/sierra mist (can't have caffeine).

JoeG
08-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Okay, well, this has gotten off topic a tad. >_> I just wanted to know how people DEAL with their cravings. If you don't have them, congrats. If you think I'm sick and disgusting for having cravings, keep your thoughts to yourself, mmkay? :P

To the people who actually contributed constructive advice, I appreciate it. Also, suggestions on how to spice up the ol' protein shake are appreciated as well! I might try that today. :)

When you have a craving just have a very small bit of what you want. All hype to the contrary there isn't anything you can't have a little bit of. the key is limiting how much you have.

As in the rest of life you are the one who has to be responsible for not going too far.

Good luck.

Paladyr
08-03-2006, 02:10 PM
When you have a craving just have a very small bit of what you want. All hype to the contrary there isn't anything you can't have a little bit of. the key is limiting how much you have.

As in the rest of life you are the one who has to be responsible for not going too far.

Good luck.

This is true, however, if I am hungry, and craving sweets, and *attempt* to have just a little of what I want, I tend to have difficulty stopping until I feel full. Instead, I would suggest eating something healthy and filling first, and then 5-10 minutes after that, if you still have the craving, try to eat a little bit of whatever it is you're craving.

I think the eating 6 times a day keeps you from ever being hungry and helps prevent insane cravings for candy/sweets/chocolate.

Unreal
08-03-2006, 02:12 PM
You only say that because you can look down on fat people because they haven't made the same fitness gains as yourself.

-Steele

Thats a load. I was a huge fatty. It was no one fault but my own. When I decide I didn't want to be fat anymore, I changed it and now I'm no longer fat.

ShockBoxer
08-03-2006, 06:29 PM

Well, if you want a little taste of healthy chocolate... try getting a hold of some unsweetened cocoa powder. I'm on a low sugar diet... a tablespoon has all of 12 calories and one gram of sugar and can completely change the taste of a drink. Of course, chocolate without sugar is a little bitter but it's still chocolate.

Cinnamon is another strong flavor that is basically calorie free in doses that aren't toxic to humans.

Vanilla extract as well... a little drop will do it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Thats a load. I was a huge fatty. It was no one fault but my own. When I decide I didn't want to be fat anymore, I changed it and now I'm no longer fat.Don't you just love it when people assume these things? :thumbup:

Oh and congrats on your transition into a non-fatty. My hat is off to you, sir.

Steele
08-04-2006, 08:53 PM
If there wasn't an element of truth in what i said, then i wouldn't have said it. Simple as.

-Steele

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-04-2006, 09:34 PM
There are a lot of people on here who used to be fatties. Just because someone looks ripped now doesn't mean they always were. There are a lot of amazing stories and progress on this site.

JHolmes145
08-04-2006, 09:47 PM
try chromium picolinate

dissipate
08-04-2006, 09:49 PM
you might be craving the insulin spike from the sugar in the candy rather than the candy itself. i think you've done pretty well, switching to yogurt coated soy nuts. it takes time to get off sugary stuff and carbs so don't beat yourself up if you can't do it cold turkey. most can't, or end up really miserable.

if you're eating say 1 bag of those soy nuts a day, try reducing slowly.. like 1 bag for 1 week. then 4/5 bag for the next. then 3/5 and so on. in the meantime, try turning to diabetic and sugar-free food like sugar-free chewing gum, diet soda.

also, during this period, eat as much veg, fruit and nuts (unsalted, non-sugary etc) as you like.

Steele
08-05-2006, 04:59 AM
There are a lot of people on here who used to be fatties. Just because someone looks ripped now doesn't mean they always were. There are a lot of amazing stories and progress on this site.

Yeah i used to be fat too. Not ripped, although im workin on it =)

-Steele

aBrutis
08-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Actually this guy is describing exactly what happened to me.
And the same here. I have no idea WHY it's different this time around, but I just flat out don't have cravings anymore. I've been "blaming" it on finally educating myself on what the stuff I put in my mouth actually DOES to my body, but I dunno if that's just wishful thinking or not.

Not just sweets, but stuff that's bad in general... just no desire any more. I used to smell McDonald's and my mouth would water. Now when the kids come home with it, I smell it and I can almost imagine the fat forming on my abs and chest, and I'm totally turned off. I don't know how I ever ate that crap before, nevermind craved it.

Tsuki No Neko... back when I was on Atkins many, many years ago, the sweet-tooth was a real problem. L-Glutamine (http://www.lowcarbnexus.com/articles/lglutamine.html) sups helped a bit, as did the sugar-free candies. But the sugar alcohols in the candy gave me unreal gas. In moderation though, they may help you. Most drug stores like Rite Aid have a pretty large variety these days.

And while I'm free from cravings, I still get a mild hankering for something sweet now and then, but it's usually knocked right out with a Rocky Road flavored ON Whey, even better with a little Flax Oil Natty peanut butter in it and thrown in the blender. It's like a giant drinkable Reese's PB Cup. :) Also nice is "Dark Chocolate Dreams" (and the White Chocolate variety) from All Natural Peanut Butter & Co. Not as clean as regular natty PB, but it won't kill your FitDay and is awesome tasting.