PDA

View Full Version : does it have to be 6 meals a day?

Sontizzle
08-03-2006, 12:09 AM
ok so ive found out working a 2nd shift job and trying to diet and gain weight properly is giving me a headach. i usually wake up around around 11 and eat around noon, i get to work around 2pm and have a snack, at 4pm i eat a PB sandwich, at 6 i eat my lunch, and i usually get home around 11pm and eat supper. its been about 110* in my work lately and i dont have much of an appetite. im trying to get from 149 to 160-165 before i start to cut.

my main concern is do i have to REALLY eat 6 meals a day to gain my desired weight or is there a way around this? im not really counting my calorie intake or tracking my food but im not eating unhealthy foods like fast food or anything.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-03-2006, 12:27 AM
You can eat for as many times as you're comfortable. Whether you eat 3 times or 10 times a day, it doesn't have any significant effect on metabolism.

im not really counting my calorie intake or tracking my food but im not eating unhealthy foods like fast food or anything.You're going to want to know you're caloric intake when you're cutting. Are you getting at least 1-1.5 gram of protein per pound of LBM and at least .5 grams of fat (healthy fats) per pound of LBM. If you have no clue about this, you should track your meals for a day on www.fitday.com.

If you're having a hard time gaining weight due to your new shift and you're guessing what you're eating and you don't have much of an appetite...well...you're going to have a very difficult time gaining weight. You don't sound like you're eating all that much.

You can make things easier on yourself by packing meals and taking them with you. How's your pre and post workout nutrition looking?

What are you doing for your training?

Ya just gotta eat more if you wanna gain weight.

Sontizzle
08-03-2006, 12:46 AM
well ive gained 4.6lbs last week and im weighting my self again on sunday. i dont think im having a problem gaining the weight its just finding the time to eat since i thought it was nessecary to eat 6 meals a day. i do pack my lunch with a PB sandwhich, turkey or chicken sandwich and 2 bags of chips. in my other post on this board ive stated i cant do squats or deadlifts because of a back problem so im limited to bench press, dumbells and leg lefts. my goal is to just get bigger and have a decent phsique

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-03-2006, 01:04 AM
its just finding the time to eat since i thought it was nessecary to eat 6 meals a day.It isn't necessary. Eat however many times you feel comfortable. Meals you shouldn't neglect though are your bedtime meal and your pre/post workout nutrition. Breakfast is pretty important as well.

in my other post on this board ive stated i cant do squats or deadlifts because of a back problem so im limited to bench press, dumbells and leg lefts.What about rows? And what kind of back problems are you having? There was this guy that had to go in for surgery because of horrible back problems, but instead he started weightlifting and slowly (he took it very easy) increasing his back strength and over a period of a year he completely reversed his back issues. He surprised his doctors and he didn't have to have the surgery. He also lost quite a bit of weight, which took a lot of stress off of his spine. Your case might not be like his, but you can't neglect your back...but again...I don't know what you're dealing with.

Steele
08-03-2006, 06:36 AM
Thought 6 regular small meals a day was far better for the metabolism? Seeing as it is a constant and steady intake which is easier for the body to deal with, as opposed to 3 large meals which creates a calorie surplus?

-Steele

Unreal
08-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Thought 6 regular small meals a day was far better for the metabolism? Seeing as it is a constant and steady intake which is easier for the body to deal with, as opposed to 3 large meals which creates a calorie surplus?

-Steele

You can have a caloric surplus with 20 meals a day or 1 a day. If your maintence for the day is 2500 cals and you eat over that then you have a caloric surplus.

Alot of people seem to be confused on a meal. A shake, or homemade bar, or sandwhich can be considered a meal. If you need to split your meals into smaller ones to get your caloric needs then do it. If you can do it in 3 large meals, then fine. If you want another meal pack one extra PB sandwhich and eat that.

Steele
08-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Aye but, surely the excess calories from 3 large meals that aren't used for energy will be stored as fat, whereas with 6 small meals they are slowly burnt off throughout the day?

-Steele

Unreal
08-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Nope. Look at it in the long run, over time. Your body is constantly storing and burning fat. It will store fat from the smaller meals also if your in a caloric excess. Plus, excess cals aren't just stored as fat. You have liver and muscle glygocen to fill and tons of other stuff your body uses food for.

Steele
08-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Aaaaah !:P I thought six meals a day was doing wonders for my metabolism!

-Steele

Ironmover
08-03-2006, 10:22 AM

-Steele
Totally agree, ALL surplus will go "anywhere" including fat cells :nod:

Eszekial
08-03-2006, 10:27 AM
6 small meals a day should help with insulin and also helps regulate the amino acid pool.

It's a lot easier to handle..

Still though, you can get in all your calories in one day, assuming you don't cause diarea and just poop it all out when the lower intestine gets mad :D

Steele
08-03-2006, 10:33 AM
kk thx =) So an irregular eating pattern won't actually affect my weight, or inhibit bulking? I was reading up on protein synthesis, and found that the human body can take 45g of protein every 2 hours, personally i would say this is negligible because if you start eating this without the muscle mass to use it, you will just pee it out ._. Ideas?

-Steele

Sontizzle
08-03-2006, 10:35 AM
i was just looking for a safer alternative than stuffing my face on my breaks in 110* weather and getting sick. thanks guys!

malkore
08-03-2006, 10:58 AM
4.6lbs in a week? how much of that was fat vs. muscle??

Unreal
08-03-2006, 12:13 PM
kk thx =) So an irregular eating pattern won't actually affect my weight, or inhibit bulking? I was reading up on protein synthesis, and found that the human body can take 45g of protein every 2 hours, personally i would say this is negligible because if you start eating this without the muscle mass to use it, you will just pee it out ._. Ideas?

-Steele

You read wrong. There is no limit on protein per hour or meal. And you just don't pee out extra cals/protein.

Bob
08-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Aaaaah !:P I thought six meals a day was doing wonders for my metabolism!

-Steele
Steele - you are correct.. spacing your meals throughout the day is MUCH better then have just a few big meals.

Calories vs. Calories is still important... for fat gain...
But here are just a few of the many research or academic papers that talks about the benefits of many meals:
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/84/2/428
In summary, the ingestion of a single large daily meal has metabolic consequences, including increased fasting glucose levels, increased insulin responses to the binge meal, and modulation of the leptin diurnal rhythm.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/57/3/446
Increasing meal frequency while maintaining a constant nutrient intake produces a small but significant decrease in LDL cholesterol in normolipidemic free-living subjects

http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/abstract/14/2/215
Results: Omitting a meal was followed by increases in fat mass (360 115 grams, p < 0.05), late evening leptin concentration (20.7 11.0%, p < 0.05), and respiratory quotient (3.7 1.4%, p < 0.05). Increase in the percentage of dietary fat during the habituation period (+4.1 2.0%, p < 0.05) was correlated with fat mass (r = 0.66, p < 0.05).
Discussion: Our results suggest that adiposity may increase when young lean male subjects switch from a four- to a three-meal pattern by removing their usual afternoon meal.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/269/5/E878?
A strong negative correlation (r = -0.66 +/- 0.10) was found between the rhythms of cholesterol synthesis and cortisol during the baseline day, but there was a phase delay in the rhythm of cholesterol synthesis relative to cortisol on day 1 and day 3. Findings indicate that the 24-h variation in cholesterol synthesis is strongly dependent on meal timing

Eszekial
08-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Where is Holto when we need him?

dissipate
08-04-2006, 09:00 PM
6 small meals a day should help with insulin and also helps regulate the amino acid pool.

personal experience:
i've been eating 2-3 meals a day within a 7-hour window and haven't had problems with blood sugar crashes or muscle loss.

[quote[my main concern is do i have to REALLY eat 6 meals a day to gain my desired weight or is there a way around this? im not really counting my calorie intake or tracking my food but im not eating unhealthy foods like fast food or anything.[quote]
you do not have to really eat 6 meals a day to gain your desired weight. some people eat 6 meals a day because they're unable to eat a whole lot of food at one time. i reckon it's okay not to count caloric intake... though just make sure you're getting enough protein. keep track of your weight and bodyfat, and if you're not putting on weight/muscle, you know you have to eat more.

meal frequency - if anyone's interested, i have a thread in the diet and nutrition section of lyle's forum @ bodyrecomposition.com in which this topic is discussed.

Sontizzle
08-04-2006, 09:32 PM
thanks thats helpful! i can eat more food in the 3 meals a day than i do when i try to eat 6 meals.