PDA

View Full Version : anyone heard of the Abs Diet book by Ted Spiker?

rrich49132
08-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Anyone heard of this Abs book? It states that you should include the following items in every meal and have two of them:

Almonds and other nuts
Beans
Spinich and other green veggies
Dairy (fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese)
Instant Oatmeal
Eggs
Turkey or other lean meats
Peanut butter
Olive Oil
Whole grain bread or cereals
Whey protein powder
Rasberries and other berries

It states that you should eat 6 times a day and space them out evenly if possible and follow this 6 days a week and allow yourself to cheat once a week. It also has an exercise regime to follow that I am not that interested in as I have my own that I just started recently that involves heavy weights and low reps 4-6 as I was doing much lighter weight and doing 10 reps.

Any thoughts from anyone as I am 5'11 and 200 lbs trying to loose about 20 lbs and get a leaner and toner look that I know the diet should be the main focus as I think I have a good weight program that involves power moves like squats and deadlifts as I was not doing before. Oh I am 37 yrs old as well so dont have the metabolism of a 20 year old anymore.

-ray

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Check out these links:
What A Bodybuilder Eats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565)
Best of Diet and Nutrition Threads (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65848)
Best of Bodybuilding and Fitness Threads (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=34313)

Training Routines:
WBB Routine #1 (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25)
BGB (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255)

Start tracking your calories on www.fitday.com.

KingWilder
08-03-2006, 05:47 PM
I own the book and I haven't looked at it in like 4 years. I've gotten way more help and great advice on diet and training in these forums.

Check out some of the links that Scarz posted.

rrich49132
08-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks the items you had me look at are the same as I have posted in terms of what to eat. The list you have has more speciefic foods as my list is very general. Well looks like my diet is in need of revamping as I just bought the book and am looking to eat to gain muscle and loose weight at the same time.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Well looks like my diet is in need of revamping as I just bought the book and am looking to eat to gain muscle and loose weight at the same time.You're not going to gain any significant muscle mass while in a caloric deficit, but you can go through a nice stage of body recomposition if you stick with a strict diet. You should be focusing on dropping the fat and keeping up your strength. You should be trying to get at least 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of LBM and at least .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM (the bulk of this being healthy fats). The rest of your calories can come from fat, protein, or carbs...whatever makes you feel comfortable. It's going to take some trial and error to see what caloric intake allows you to lose 1-1.25 pounds a week. Take your bodyweight and multiply it by 15 and then subtract 500 calories. Stay at this calorie level for a week and if you aren't losing weight, subtract 100-200 calories and stay with the new calorie level for a week. Once you find a calorie level in which you are losing about a pound a week, stay there until you stop losing and then continue the process again. If you are losing weight too fast, increase your calories. Your caloric needs will also change as your metabolism increases.

rrich49132
08-03-2006, 06:06 PM
sounds good as I will stay within those food groups my goal is to maintain high protein levels about 200 a day since I am about 200 lbs with about 1/2 coming from a whey protein as it is easy and fast with the rest from salmon or chicken or some other kind of lean meat. I also have taken not of the fats that will mostly come from olive oil in a salad each day as well as raw cashews and almonds as well as a Peanut butter on whole wheat bread. Seems like I have a plan am curious as to how long it will take along with my lifting schedule to see some gains. As I said I was never doing squats or any legs exercises and never did dead lifts as I know know there are vital to lifting.

rrich49132
08-03-2006, 06:06 PM
sounds good as I will stay within those food groups my goal is to maintain high protein levels about 200 a day since I am about 200 lbs with about 1/2 coming from a whey protein as it is easy and fast with the rest from salmon or chicken or some other kind of lean meat. I also have taken not of the fats that will mostly come from olive oil in a salad each day as well as raw cashews and almonds as well as a Peanut butter on whole wheat bread. Seems like I have a plan am curious as to how long it will take along with my lifting schedule to see some gains. As I said I was never doing squats or any legs exercises and never did dead lifts as I know know there are vital to lifting.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-03-2006, 06:20 PM
I also have taken not of the fats that will mostly come from olive oil in a salad each day as well as raw cashews and almonds as well as a Peanut butter on whole wheat bread.Sounds like you've got that down pretty well. :thumbup: Make sure the peanut butter is natural peanut butter.

As I said I was never doing squats or any legs exercises and never did dead lifts as I know know there are vital to lifting.Learn perfect form and never sacrifice form for heavier weights...especially for squats and deadlifts, which puts your spine in a vulnerable position. Never do weight that you can't handle. "Leave your ego at the door."

rrich49132
08-03-2006, 06:29 PM
So any type of natural PB from a Whole food or health food store?

rrich49132
08-03-2006, 06:29 PM
So any type of natural PB from a Whole food or health food store?

Built
08-03-2006, 06:31 PM
I just get Adams crunchy (salted) from any grocery store.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-03-2006, 06:34 PM
I get Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter.

KingWilder
08-03-2006, 06:46 PM
I have come to LOVE Skippy's Natural PB more than Smucker's

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-03-2006, 06:51 PM
I have come to LOVE Skippy's Natural PB more than Smucker'sReally? Why is that? I'll give it a try when I'm done with this jar of Smucker's.

KingWilder
08-03-2006, 07:26 PM
You don't have to mix it and to me that's a big plus (it's got palm oil in it, which is still fine as it doesn't add any trans fat) and it tastes better.

It actually won the "Best Taste" award from American Culinary Chefs Best

www.chefsbest.org