PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla extract

Slim Schaedle
01-30-2002, 06:41 PM
just wondering what kind of nutrition facts vanilla extract has,...or what is in it...good or bad. I got some for my oatmeal after reading someone's post post on here...make it tastes better. Anyone know anything about it?

unev_en
01-30-2002, 06:45 PM
Vanilla extract, assuming it is pure, contains no sugar and few calories. It is, therefore, ideal for the purpose you describe; I use it myself... :)

Slim Schaedle
01-30-2002, 07:09 PM
rock on:D Yup, it's pure

mesmall
01-30-2002, 07:18 PM
37 calories in 1 tbsp.

unev_en
01-30-2002, 09:27 PM
Mesmall, not to be unreasonable, but I don't see how pure vanilla extract, which generally consists of water, vanilla extract, and 35% alcohol, could possibly contain 37 calories per tbsp. If indeed this were the case, then it would somehow contain as many calories as one tbsp. of pure sugar. Are you sure the value you have is not for sugared vanilla extract?

mesmall
01-31-2002, 03:46 AM
here you go....take your pick
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl?vanilla+extract

Spiderman
01-31-2002, 07:19 AM
It still sounds shady to me... If vanilla extract had ANY nutritional value whatsoever then then it would have a label with all the info on it. The FDA requires it of all foods they regulate. ;)

=w=
01-31-2002, 07:34 AM
not if the calories are coming from alcohol (which they are). Look at a liquor bottle those are not required to be labeled. Alcohol is 7 cals a gram by the way so that is where the calories in a tbls are coming from.

body
01-31-2002, 03:23 PM
the alcohol may not be straight ethanol it the table spoon. there are many types of alcohols out there. technically carbs are alcoholic.

If you can get 5 grams of alcohol in the tablespoon then 37cals should be correct. though a table spoon of vanilla essence is very strong, you need far less than that, to add to your foods.
some of the alcohol may evaporate as well.

by the way there is a difference between 37 calories and 37 kcals. Some times the author will mean 37 cals. while other times they just misprint 37(k)cals. as they drop the K. its a common mistake and if you were writing a scientific paper you would get marked down, if got it the wrong way round.

Like when your on a running machine and you burning 10 claories a minute (the machines saying that my calorie output.) that is nothing, it should say I am burning 10,000 calories a hour. then at least I am going to tap into my adipose tissue.