PDA

View Full Version : Will deadlifts make you huge?

Gareth19
08-06-2006, 05:05 AM
Ive heard alot that deadlifts can make you huge once you get really strong at lifting heavy-ass amounts, and that they boost testosterone.

Im starting to go pretty heavy now but all ive noticed is my lower back is coming out alot and really strong and hard looking, but i dont see how deadlifting can make you huge especially upper body..

Am i missing something :scratch: ?

Con
08-06-2006, 05:17 AM
It can be a very impressive part of your physique and should be worked out regularly.

As for making you huge...its will definateky make a difference but overall it comes to working ot your entire body and a good diet.

bullethead74
08-06-2006, 09:13 AM
better with squats really

HeavyBomber
08-06-2006, 09:20 AM
IMO,
The key to getting truly huge is posterior chain strength. Once you start to gain strength in the posterior your overall lifting capacity will increase. This sends a strong signal to your body that it simply needs to be larger to meet the demands being placed on it. Size is not just gained due to muscle tear down and rebuilding, although that is a primary requirement, it is also a mechanism of the central nervous system. When you start moving large amounts of weight your CNS will recognize that your body needs to be larger to keep up with the demand. Deadlifts and squats are THE BEST way to hammer this message home.
Dead lifts like squats are also very good training exercises. You must train your brain to activate your CNS in an efficient manner. In addition to developing motor skills you need to train the CNS to activate as many muscle fibers as possible in a expedient time frame. Since deads and squats require a large portion of your body to respond they are the most efficient way to train your CNS to do this.
They also build weight training 'character' -do or die. Give up or don't give up... What will you do when gravity pulls back?

My terms and such may be messed up a little but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

McVein
08-06-2006, 09:31 AM
IMO,
The key to getting truly huge is posterior chain strength. Once you start to gain strength in the posterior your overall lifting capacity will increase. This sends a strong signal to your body that it simply needs to be larger to meet the demands being placed on it. Size is not just gained due to muscle tear down and rebuilding, although that is a primary requirement, it is also a mechanism of the central nervous system. When you start moving large amounts of weight your CNS will recognize that your body needs to be larger to keep up with the demand. Deadlifts and squats are THE BEST way to hammer this message home.
Dead lifts like squats are also very good training exercises. You must train your brain to activate your CNS in an efficient manner. In addition to developing motor skills you need to train the CNS to activate as many muscle fibers as possible in a expedient time frame. Since deads and squats require a large portion of your body to respond they are the most efficient way to train your CNS to do this.
They also build weight training 'character' -do or die. Give up or don't give up... What will you do when gravity pulls back?

My terms and such may be messed up a little but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

i was just guna say...........yeah

lol., thanks HB, didnt know that stuff about the CNS

Burner27
08-06-2006, 10:28 AM
i was just guna say...........yeah

lol., thanks HB, didnt know that stuff about the CNS

Not to hijack the OP's thread but is the "alternating grip" (one palm up/one palm down) the preferred grip for doing deads or should both palms be facing down?

leveque
08-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I think most people do the alternating grip, but I guess it's a personal preference. There's no right or wrong grip.

KingWilder
08-06-2006, 12:07 PM
I use an overhand grip, some people do mixed, some people switch it up and use both

as leveque said, it's really just a personal preference

McVein
08-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Not to hijack the OP's thread but is the "alternating grip" (one palm up/one palm down) the preferred grip for doing deads or should both palms be facing down?

why did you quote what i said??......i am too confused

powerrack
08-06-2006, 10:49 PM
I like full deads, but right now I'm really getting good results from rack deads, I credit them to the new thickness in my back, shoulders, and traps.

Burner27
08-07-2006, 05:00 AM
why did you quote what i said??......i am too confused

To make you look good.......

Prodigy06
08-07-2006, 06:56 AM
IMO,

I agree. I think deads are the best for building that "character". If you really want to find out how powerful you are, this exercise will tell you.
They make you look thicker too and build up your traps, which is awesome.

McVein
08-07-2006, 11:36 AM
To make you look good.......

high 5!

arnoldsclone
08-07-2006, 11:48 AM
you aremn't moving dick yet for dealifts, unless you're 12, no offense meant. so you can call it moving serious weight at 400lbs and up imnsho. and deads will make you huge, they work most of your muscles! and you incorporate a huge amount of weight into the lift, involving many joints.:strong:

McVein
08-07-2006, 01:07 PM
you aremn't moving dick yet for dealifts, unless you're 12, no offense meant. so you can call it moving serious weight at 400lbs and up imnsho. and deads will make you huge, they work most of your muscles! and you incorporate a huge amount of weight into the lift, involving many joints.:strong:
??? who was that to?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I think most people do the alternating grip, but I guess it's a personal preference. There's no right or wrong grip.No, it isn't a personal preference. It's overhand/underhand grip for a reason. This grip is to prevent you from tearing the biceps tendon. You can completely rupture the tendon at the radius, so the overhand/underhand grip is to put less stress on this area. This also prevents the bar from rolling in your hands.

you aremn't moving dick yet for dealifts, unless you're 12, no offense meant. so you can call it moving serious weight at 400lbs and up imnsho. and deads will make you huge, they work most of your muscles! and you incorporate a huge amount of weight into the lift, involving many joints.Don't make any more posts if this is going to be a continuing trend. Grow up.

Nosaj
08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
I deadlift because I like to grunt loud, hear me roar! :clown:

RedSpikeyThing
08-07-2006, 01:48 PM
To the OP:

Diet makes you huge. Doing compound lifts regularly ensures that you gain as much muscle as possible.