PDA

View Full Version : Running for fights

Skinny_DiezeL
08-06-2006, 03:51 PM
I remembered reading an article about fight training. Well, in one section the guy was talking about running for fights. He wondered why guys run 2-3 miles for an amateur fight of five, six minutes. I think he reccomended running at hiit for the same amount of time as the fight, not sure. What would be a good way to determine how much/ how hard to run for specific fight?

Hazerboy
08-07-2006, 01:25 AM
HIIT is definatly the way to go for MMA conditioning, but you don't even have to run/do sprints for HIIT. Instead, I would concentrate on doing movements that replicate your sport for the short time that you're doing HIIT. For instance for wrestling conditioning I use a heavy sandbag and do power cleans, bear hug and walk, turkish get-ups, etc. for HIIT. This has taken my endurance farther than sprinting or long distance jogging ever has. For me, The only other conditioning that comes close to sandbag training is actual grappling.

Skinny_DiezeL
08-07-2006, 01:58 PM
so for strikers, ground and pound bag for 2.5 min, then hop up and work heavy bag for 2.5 minutes with minute rest between rounds?

Hazerboy
08-08-2006, 12:53 AM
That looks sound. As long as you're exhausted by the end of it you should be fine. Work in other movements too though, don't be afraid to mix it up.

Sometimes If i have a partner i'll "toss" my 50 or 75lb sandbag back and forth with a side motion/throw (you use your obliques...) I've heard stuff like this is great for strikers, though maybe someone sho actually boxes and doesn't just hit people would know more about this :rolleyes:

turkey sandwich
08-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Hazerboy definately has the right idea... try to do cardio that emulates your sport... in terms of fighting, hitting bags, intensive sparring, etc. are great examples. However, don't just limit yourself. The idea underlying the notion of high intensity training has to do with working the appropriate energy system. For this reason, it's good to focus on boosting your muscular endurance, explosive strength. This is why you'll see a lot of fighters doing sprints.

Detard
08-14-2006, 11:47 PM
try this. if your not completely dead tired after this then let me know and i'll tell you another training routine

this routine consists of 8 rounds. each round lasting 1-5 minutes.

round 1 (2minutes): skipping(30seconds), heavy bag working various punch combinations(30seconds), skipping(30seconds), heavy bag working only jabs(30seconds)

1 minute water break

round 2 (3.5minutes): shadow boxing(30seconds), skipping(30seconds), heavy bag using only kicks(30seconds), shadow boxing(1minute), skipping(30seconds), pushups(30seconds)

1 minute water break

round 3 (1.5minutes): squats ATF(30seconds), heavybag working punch combinations 1-4(30seconds), burpees(30seconds)

1 minute water break

round4 (2.5minutes): pushups(30seconds), burpees(30seconds), shadow boxing(1minute), squats ATF(30seconds)

1 minute water break

round5 (4minutes): skipping(1minute), heavybag working both punches and kicks while training your defence(headmovements, footwork..etc)(30seconds),
thrusters with 20lb DB(30seconds), shadow boxing(1minute), speed punching on heavy bag(as fast as you can(10 seconds), skipping(30seconds), speed punching(10seconds), squats ATF(10seconds)

2 minute water break

round6 (2minutes): right thai kicks(1minute), left thai kicks(1minute)

1 minute water break

round 7 (3minutes): burpees(30seconds), raised leg crunches(30seconds), pushups(30seconds), heavy bag work using all techniques(1minute), thrusters 20lb DB(30seconds)

round 8 (4minutes): skipping(1minute), shadowboxing(1minute), heavy bag(30seconds), thrusters(1minute), pushups(30seconds)

totals:::

pushups:::::::::::2:00
thrusters::::::::::2:00
burpees:::::::::::1:30
skipping:::::::::::4:30
shadowboxing::::5:00
heavy bag::::::::4:20
squats::::::::::::1:10
20:30(20 minutes, 30 seconds)

shadow boxing should be at an intense rate, squats...if you want to add some weight to your back go for it. skipping should be at a fast rate, pushups thrusters and burpees...try and get as many as possible in the given time