PDA

View Full Version : Daginator: The Salty Log

daginator
08-07-2006, 07:15 AM
I would first like to apologize for the lengthiness of this post. You see I'm on a mission to lose a lot of weight, over a hundred pounds to not be exact. Right now I weigh in over three hundred pounds, and need to get moving on this goal of losing weight. I've had the goal for several years now; I've always figured the goal could wait another day because I'm still young.

Nothing traumatic has happened to me, so thatís not the reason I'm starting on this goal. It is just time to make a change in my life. I'm aware that this change must be a life change, or I will just go back to my old habits.

Past experience:

At one point in time I was waking up at 6:00am four times a week (M,T,TH,F) and would go to the gym to workout for 40 minutes and walk/run for 20 minutes. I got to work by 8:30, which was perfect. I had a workout partner, and everything was going great. We continued on this routine for about three months.... Until a friend decided he wanted to join in our group. Not wanting to upset anyone we told him to "come on in" to the group. However, the addition of a third person made it impossible to do my same workout routine given my strict time table. My workout partner and I were getting sort of annoyed at the third person because he liked to talk a lot and etc. So we came up with this "mastermind". The plan was for both of us to stop going to the gym for two weeks and the third person would quit by lack of motivation. However, at then end of the two weeks, we decided to push it off one day, and then we decided to push it off one more week and etc. Point being, we never worked out again. We tried a couple of times, but neither of us had the motivation to start working out again. I did lose a lot of weight, but unsure of the amount because I never weighed myself. I feel that was one of my biggest mistakes. I had no idea of the success that I was having and could never get excited. This time I plan on weighing myself daily and writing down what I weigh each day. That way I can see my progress.

Diet during that time:

I would have shake for breakfast and normal fatty fast food for lunch and dinner. I would try and eat health, but I was always able to justify to myself that it would be OK to have a number 2 from Wendyís (biggie sized of course) because I "had a good workout at the gym". Or that "I'll start the diet part soon, but not today". Or the always famous "Today is my cheat day". I realized that I didn't have cheat day; but rather, a healthy day once per-week.

New Plan:

I have not exactly designed the new plan completely yet. But I've thought about waking up and going for a three mile walk (and try to jog a little, but I know that won't happen very much at first). I've also thought about doing a combo of walking 3 miles a few times a week & working out a few times a week. There is also a spinning class at my gym that I was thinking about taking, but havenít decided.

Diet for new plan:

My plan is to try and actually follow the ďeat 5-6 small meals each dayĒ. However, I expect to replace at least two meals, but no more than three with Myoplex shakes. Iíve also thought about having protein bars around for when I get really hungry.

The only reason Iím using the journal is as a means to hold myself accountable. Also to hopefully get some good advice from some of the knowledgeable people here.

I know it is only 9:00am right now, but thus far I have done the following today:

Awake: 5:55am
Workout: 6:13 Ė 7:08am (walked my first 3 mile walk (maybe ran 100 yards))
1st meal: Myoplex shake at 8:30am

(thatís it so far today)

I was planning on having another shake around 9:30/10:00am if I was hungry. The only reason I would have two shakes in a row is because I have nothing else to eat today :( .

I would love to hear peopleís advice, comments and etc.

Thanks for being my sounding board,

-dag

Unreal
08-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Track your cals on fitday. Most protein bars are just hyped up candy bars so I would stay away. If you stick to it you can do it. I lost over 100lbs. Took about 14 months of hard work. Learn to lift correctly ASAP and get a good routine going.

ectx
08-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Dag, Congrats for taking the first big step. The folks here will encourage you, help you out, provide countless information. It may be overwhelming at times. The important thing to do is pick a plan and get on it. Also, develop a filter. You will get tons of information here...a lot of it contradicting. The only time to change things up is when they're not working for you or when it's part of the plan.

daginator
08-08-2006, 06:38 AM
Final for yesterday:

Workout: 6am-7am walk (3 miles)
Meal 1: Myoplex Shake
Meal 2: Tuna Melt (Tuna salad w/ cheese) + bag of pretzels (around 310 cal.)
Meal 3: Myoplex Shake
Meal 4: Two cups of cottage cheese

I did drink diet pop w/ the Tuna and Cottage Cheese. According to fitday I ate around 1700 calories. That is a little less than what I would like to eat, but I still missed one or two meals. I think I would like for my calorie intake to be around 2000.

So far today I have walked another 3 miles and had a blueberry bagel. Around 9:30 or so, I plan on having a shake.

However, I did weigh myself just before I left on the walk and weighed about the same as yesterday; however, upon return from the walk I weighed two pounds less. I don't fell like I sweat that much when I'm walking, is there something I'm missing maybe or did I actually sweat that much off?

-dag

ectx
08-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Final for yesterday:

Workout: 6am-7am walk (3 miles)
Meal 1: Myoplex Shake
Meal 2: Tuna Melt (Tuna salad w/ cheese) + bag of pretzels (around 310 cal.)
Meal 3: Myoplex Shake
Meal 4: Two cups of cottage cheese

I did drink diet pop w/ the Tuna and Cottage Cheese. According to fitday I ate around 1700 calories. That is a little less than what I would like to eat, but I still missed one or two meals. I think I would like for my calorie intake to be around 2000.

So far today I have walked another 3 miles and had a blueberry bagel. Around 9:30 or so, I plan on having a shake.

However, I did weigh myself just before I left on the walk and weighed about the same as yesterday; however, upon return from the walk I weighed two pounds less. I don't fell like I sweat that much when I'm walking, is there something I'm missing maybe or did I actually sweat that much off?

-dag

Nope...you sweat that much...seriously. When I ran I would drop as much as 8 lbs in water weight. Do yourself a favor and try not weighing yourself too often...maybe once a week or every two weeks.

daginator
08-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Final for yesterday

Meal 1: Blueberry Bagel
Meal 2: Myoplex Shake
Meal 3: Tuna Melt (Tuna Salad w/ cheese w/ pita bread)
Meal 4: Myoplex Shake
Meal 5: Tuna (solid white in water) w/ cottage cheese

According to fitday my intake was 1810 calories. The break down was as follows:

Fat: 22%
Carbs: 34%
Protein: 44%

All in all, this is only my third day on this workout and I'm feeling pretty good about it thus far. It is funny when you actually watch your calorie intake how you realize that eating a bag of chips just took away your three mile hike.

daginator
08-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Final for 8/9/2006 & 8/10/2006

8/9/2006
Workout: got up at 5:55am and walked for three miles
Meal 3: Ended up going to fuddruckers, so I got grilled chicken (which wasn't worth the cost) and only ate 3/8ths of the bun (3 qtrs bottom bun only). They also went to coldstone icecream & and I didn't end up getting anything. Test of will power if you will.
Meal 5: 1oz pretzels, Tuna in water,
Meal 6: 1 cup cottage cheese

8/10/2006
Workout: got up at 5:55am and walked for three miles
Meal 3: 'Double stack sandwich' from local sandwich shop. It was Turkey and Ham (I asked them to remove the ham and only put turkey). It came with tomatoes, mayo, lettuce & bacon (wasn't aware it came w/ Bacon so I removed the bacon from the sandwich).
Meal 5: Tuna in water, 2oz pretzels, 2 cans of green beans.

For some reason I was more hungry tonight than any other night. My calories slipped a little higher than normal (but only by about 200 calories).

Total Distance Walked 12.8 miles (as part of a healthy workout).

So the big weigh in will be this Saturday. It will have been a whole week to see my progress, if any. I'm not hoping for anything off the charts, just some.

I do still plan on walking 3 miles on saturday as well. Sunday, as I've already said will be my cheat day.

Any advice? Any good ideas for changing up my diet? Right now, it is pretty much the same food. If I had cottage cheese tonight, I would have eaten that, but I didn't; thus, I replaced my cottage cheese w/ 1 extra oz of pretzels & two cans of green beans.

-dag

daginator
08-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Finial for 8/11/2006 PLUS weigh-in results!!!!

Workout: Woke up at 5:55am and walked three miles.
Meal 3: We ended up going to the foot court at the mall to eat. I got Chick-Fil-A. I only got a grilled chicken sandwich and according to the site, it has 270 calories and 3.5 grams of fat. I did take off the pickles so that they didn't play tomfoolery with my weigh-in results.
Meal 5: 6" cold cut trio with only lettuce, tomato, green peppers and banna peppers. I also had two oz of pretzels

Ding! Ding! Ding! Weigh-in Results:

So after starting this diet on Monday, August 7, 2006. Only five days into it. I have lost seven pounds. I am very happy w/ that result, but wonder how much of that is water weight lost. I still drink plenty of water, but just don't know. I also know that I would have better success at first because I have a lot of weight too lose, and it will just burn right off.

Anyway, I decided to change my 'cheat day' to saturday. No, not so that it was one day sooner; but rather, I could get more cheating enjoyment out of Saturday than Sunday. Sunday I'm normally fairly busy with everything and end up eating light anyway.

As far as cheat-day's go, I assume you should still watch the amount of food you intake?