PDA

View Full Version : GPP, Alternative workouts

Unreal
08-07-2006, 01:27 PM
So I'm on a 4 day weight split, 2 on, 1 off, repeat. Since I'm new to town and don't know anyone, I'm bored as hell on days when I don't get to go lift. I want to increase my overall physical ability. I've read all the links in the GPP sticky, and read alot of the crossfit stuff. The crossfit sounds great, but I'm not at that level yet. I can' do 95% of the crossfit workouts, so I don't know what to do. Any exercises, activities, etc that I can go out and have fun with?

Just a note, yesterday was shoulder/chest day, and tommorow is heavy squat/leg day. So what can I do this afternoon that won't kill my weight training, yet help me out? I did a tabata style front squat session yesterday and it was rough. Not sure if I want to attempt something like that again today before leg day tommorow.

Thanks Anthony. :)

getfit
08-07-2006, 01:32 PM
go to the playground, monkey bars, dig holes in the sand, whatever, so much to do at the playground.

Unreal
08-07-2006, 01:36 PM
go to the playground, monkey bars, dig holes in the sand, whatever, so much to do at the playground.

Well, see... there are normally kids at a playground, and I have this court order saying I can't goto them.

Actually, I was at a playground yesterday strangely enough swinging on the swings. It was fun.

getfit
08-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Well, see... there are normally kids at a playground, and I have this court order saying I can't goto them.

Actually, I was at a playground yesterday strangely enough swinging on the swings. It was fun.
LOL! I guess if you go early enough it should be ok, maybe some woodchopping ;)

just giving you a few ideas :)

MixmasterNash
08-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Go rock climbing or cycling!

Unreal
08-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Good ideas. I tried a rock climbing wall down the street but I couldn't even make it 1/2 way up. Biking isn't a bad idea except that I don't have one, and have no truck or way to get one around. Well, I do have a bike, but it has 130+hp so it doesn't really count as exercise.

Hazerboy
08-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Do some grip training - this is fun and ADDICTING! Grippers, bending, thick bar work, wrist work, pinch gripping, etc. etc...

tomv
08-08-2006, 02:27 AM
That grip training sounds like a cool thing to do in my off day, what are some basic excercises in that hazer? I also get bored on off days just sittin around and i feel like a bludger lol.

Hazerboy
08-08-2006, 01:49 PM
First and foremost I would signup at www.gripboard.com, its a great forum with sound information. As far as excercises, It depends on what equipment you have, though you can get pretty far without really buying anything. Assuming you have a sledge hammer, look at this site for some basic excercises: http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/lever.html

This is great for the wrists - just try and keep the volume and reps low, with high intensity. Get good at this and maybe start some nail bending ;)

If you have some hex dumbells, you can also work your pinch grip - grab a hex dumbell in each hand and either hold it for time or do heavy singles - grab the heaviest dumbell you can find and deadlift it up.

If you don't have hex dumbells, you can do the same thing with a 2 x 4. Attach some weight with a rope and either hold it for time or do singles.

Thick bar work is also great. I'm too cheap to buy a thick bar, so I just wrapped some old towels around my oly bar untill it was about 2 1/2 inches thick and ducted taped it. (I can still slide the towels around the bar though in case I don't want to do regular deadlifts, bench, etc. withought it being super thick!). With this you can do some heavy deadlift singles (though untill you get a pretty good grip it won't be taxing enough to work your body like regular deads). Or do timed holds. Thick bar curls are also GREAT - it becomes a whole body excercise. Thick bar wrist curls.... basically anything you can think of with a thick bar.

After awhile you may want to look into purchasing some grippers. www.heavygrips.com if you want a great deal. http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/export/IronMind/Main/captainsofcrush1.html also has some great grippers if you'r interested in getting certified. They're about the same quality, though i prefer the heavy grips as the increments are smaller. Keep in mind though that you can get a great grip without really buying anything, you just have to be a little creative!

Remember to keep the volume low in the beginning, its easy to hurt yourself and tendons take a loong time to heal. These are all the pretty basic excercises and will get you far. There are some more advanced ones (two/one finger deadlifts, sandbag training, nail bending, phonebook tearing, card tearing) but you want to develope a good solid base first before you get into that.

As far as routines go, it depends on what you want. I grapple so I train for all around grip - one day for wrist training, one day for thumb/pinch training, and one day for crush training (thick bar and grippers). Others would rather just have a great crush, great pinching, or great wrist strength, and design their routines accordingly.

Oh and I almost forgot - don't forget to train the extensors of your hands, this is the opening motion. This is for hand health and injury prevention more than anything (It's analagous to training the rotater cuff's for bench). There are two easy ways to do this - get an empty mayonaise jar and fill it up with pennys (or a coffee can and attach weights) and lift it for singles or time with the opening of your hand. The other is to get a bucket filled with rice or sand and try and work your hand to the bottom. I do this maybe once/twice a week, and it won't interfere with your other hand training.

Anthony
08-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I can' do 95% of the crossfit workouts, so I don't know what to do. Any exercises, activities, etc that I can go out and have fun with?

Just scale things to your ability. You don't walk into the gym and try to bench press 500lbs your first day, right? Start with light weight, low intensity, low volume, and gradually increase.

Sensei
08-09-2006, 06:59 AM
You don't have to do Crossfit for GPP (NOTE: I'm NOT recommending against it). There are tons of things you can do instead. Consider flexibility work, balance, technique, core, grip, or neck work - these are all things that many lifters need to improve but seldom put the time into.

MantiXX
08-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Hazerboy....

You can also use simple elastic bands (laying all around mail boxes) and these make great extensors exercisers. Just add more as you get stronger...

Peace out...