PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Bar Positioning During Squats?

Chubrock
08-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Is there a benefit to a lower bar placement in a PLing style squat? As it stands now, I squat with a high bar placement. Was wondering if I should start trying to squat with the bar lower?

drew
08-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Give it a try. A lower bar position gives you more leverage on the weight and will ultimately help you lift more weight.

Chubrock
08-07-2006, 08:21 PM
I'll have to work on it. I'm so small that I have a hard time using a lower bar positioning because I have nothing to rest the bar on haha.

Chris Rodgers
08-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Build up your upper back.

Remember, we almost weigh the same and I have held over 700 lbs in a low bar position on my back. It can be done. Just practice it and build up your back.

Chubrock
08-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Any suggestions? Most of the work I'm getting for my back comes from heavy chins, bent rows and deads. That's about all the work I do for my back.

Chris Rodgers
08-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Try doing some high rows(pull the bar up high to your chest), rear delt work, shrugs etc.

Learning to properly place and squeeze the bar into position is key too. So practice different hand positions until something feels solid. I also grip the bar with a thumbless grip on squats which seems to help keep my elbows more under the bar and keep me more upright.

Chubrock
08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Gracias man. I messed around with a thumbless grip as well and found it to be pretty solid. I may have to give that a go.