PDA

View Full Version : Carbs in Milk

Marnie
08-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Are the carbs in milk good carbs or bad carbs? Thanks.

Steele
08-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Good question. Anyone got an answer?

-Steele

KingWilder
08-09-2006, 05:32 PM
there is literally a thread 4 threads up about this "Wonderful Milk"

the carbs in milk are all sugar, however, milk has a low glycemic index (around 39)

I would therefore qualify milk as "good carbs"

ShockBoxer
08-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Vanilla ice cream also has a relatively low GI. So does a snickers bar because of the nuts. I'm hesitant to trust the GI scale as an indicator of what's a good carb and what's not.

KingWilder
08-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Vanilla ice cream also has a relatively low GI. So does a snickers bar because of the nuts. I'm hesitant to trust the GI scale as an indicator of what's a good carb and what's not.

good point on the Snicker's bar

but I thought ice cream was considered high?? it has a GI of like 80+ (low fat is around 70 I believe)

ShockBoxer
08-09-2006, 05:40 PM
It's 60 according to a few bookmarks I have... which is higher than I thought (but a Snickers is in the low 40s, which is low).

edit: And actually the higher the fat the lower the GI. Whole milk (30) is a lower GI than skim (32 lol), and whole fat yogurt kills both of them (14).

KingWilder
08-09-2006, 05:42 PM
well if that's true I need to get a new glycemic index, mine has low fat ice cream at 71 and reg. ice cream at 87

and snicker's at 57

links?

ShockBoxer
08-09-2006, 05:49 PM
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.php is where I got the 60.

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/glycemicIndex.php is a place where you can search for the info. It should be noted that it places 'Vanilla Ice Cream' at a GI of 32.

http://www.glycemicindex.com lists it as anywhere from 32 to 80.

KingWilder
08-09-2006, 05:52 PM
thanks

I wish they were more consistent

Marnie
08-10-2006, 03:45 AM
SO what the hell is this GI then? I thought it was a measure of how fast a food was turned into glycogen, as in it was a fast release carb, or a slow release carb? Back to the main point though, should I drink milk on a carb cycling cut?

ShockBoxer
08-10-2006, 05:15 AM
If you buy into the whole carb cycling thing then treat it like you would treat any other high carb source and target it around your lifts.

JustLost
08-10-2006, 06:33 AM
SO what the hell is this GI then? I thought it was a measure of how fast a food was turned into glycogen, as in it was a fast release carb, or a slow release carb? Back to the main point though, should I drink milk on a carb cycling cut?

The GI value of a food is determined by feeding 10 or more healthy people a portion of the food containing 50 grams of digestible (available) carbohydrate and then measuring the effect on their blood glucose levels over the next two hours.

Couple important points to note:

1. By definition, the GI of a food is that of the food consumed alone. With a meal or shake, you're really looking at the GI of the whole thing.

2. 50 grams of carb from milk works out to a little over a quart. I get the farts just thinking about drinking a quart of milk al at once.

So, IMO, moderate amounts of milk are fine. I drink from a cup to a quart a day while losing ~ 1.5 pounds a week.