PDA

View Full Version : To Cut Or Bulk

aussiegoonie
08-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Hey guys hows it going.
Going by my image below do u think that i should bulk or cut ?
I am wanting to get to 185 cut thats my goal over a 1-2 year period.
Cheers

Eszekial
08-11-2006, 09:46 AM
In my opinion you are very borderline..... Generally i'd say cut to 15% then bulk until your HYOOOGE...

It's up to you.. Personally, i'd bulk.

aussiegoonie
08-11-2006, 09:53 AM
if you look at the middle pic how my back is arched i think thats just posture and it pokes my gut out alot and yer i think its borderline...
Just not sure if i bulk if i will have fat gain or muscle gain....

Eszekial
08-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I don't mean any offense at all but It looks like you are really out of shape. No muscle and lots of fat.

I think you would benefit a lot from both, but a bulk will build muscle which will in turn help with your cut by raising your maintenance levels. I'd bulk.

You wont really need to eat a whole lot more then you probably are, and you will make gains quickly being that you are new.

aussiegoonie
08-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Well my diet went down hill.
Had an eating disorder what im now over and yer its time for a change.
I do muay thai 2 -3 times a week its keeping me in line.
But yer no strength what so ever. cant even do over 10 pushups.....

Jeffreyk
08-11-2006, 11:33 AM
I would start working out........seriously.....eat clean, reduced cals

f=ma
08-11-2006, 01:22 PM
lift heavy and cut imo

aussiegoonie
08-12-2006, 01:07 AM
Hey guys i done the online tape measurements - I tested measuring forearms, height weight, age, waist, abs etc one of them and it came up saying have 23% body fat. You have 40.5 Pounds of fat and 135.5 Pounds of lean.

And another test what only tested Height Neck Abdomen - 19.15%BF - 33.7 Fat and 142.3 Lean.

So after doing that you guys think it would be best to cut to 10% ???
Would that take me a while to get to 10%BF from 20-23 ?

Thanks. I hope that helps.

Mercuryblade
08-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey guys i done the online tape measurements

Those are awful horrible terrible things. Get it tested with a calipers if or in a tank if you are really curious. From your shots I would guess you are hovering around the 20% range.

It is really up to you on what you should do, it depends on your goals, there really isn't a right or wrong answer here. Keep in mind that the more lean mass you have on your body the better. More lean mass means you need more calories to maintain weight, which ultimately makes cutting weight easier. If I were you, I would start to eat cleanly, very cleanly. Cut back the calories slowly. I would lose maybe about 10 lbs max. This will put a good dent in the weight you ultimately want to lose. Dropping down to 10% bodyfat without much muscle won't really look spectacular. After losing the weight do a slow bulk, eat cleanly, and micromanage like crazy. Then after putting on some healthy mass, cut again.
Read these forums on what to eat, do WBB routine #1 http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25.

Learn to love weightlifting, don't think of it as a chore.
You're a newbie so you are going to get "newbie gains," you lifts are going to go up really quickly, and you are going to put on a good bit of muscle.

Best of luck.

Prodigy06
08-12-2006, 01:42 PM
I gonna have to disagree w/ some of you.
You have nothing to cut down too. Cutting now would be stupid IMO. Start lifting heavy, eat clean. Take advantage of newb gains and cut when you actually have something to cut down to.

aussiegoonie
08-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Prodigy06 - Well i thought around 20% aswell in bodyfat now if i eat clean and lift heavy wont i get bigger but also fatter round the waist too..

Stray
08-12-2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.shaveeverywhere.com

dissipate
08-13-2006, 01:15 AM
which part of australia are you from aussiegoonie? you've done well getting over the eating disorder and starting MT :) i'm really happy for you.

Dropping down to 10% bodyfat without much muscle won't really look spectacular.
agreed.

i'd suggest switching to clean food while staying around maintenance cals, because:

a. some find switching to clean food plus going on a caloric deficit difficult and end up giving up or having binge sessions

b. like some of the people on this board have said, you're most likely going to get newbie gains, and i'd say some recomposition as well (losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time)

so eat clean and at around maintenance cals for a month or so, with as much veg and fruit as you want. measure your weight and bodyfat after a month. then paste the results here and we can discuss what next to do based on how your body has been reacting.

shootermcgavin7
08-13-2006, 09:18 AM
You've gotten some good advice so far, but let me add that whichever you decide, stick to it.

I pissed away a year when I first started BBing cutting and bulking between the same 10-15 lbs.