PDA

View Full Version : Lay off the juice?

mikej
08-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I did a quick search... so I'm sorry if this has been answered 100,000 times in the past:

I'm working on figuring out how to bulk, and I'm wondering if adding some juice into my diet for the added calories is OK. My work provides free beverages, which is super nice, and I figured maybe I could drink some of my calories since I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get them all in!

Some free options at my work, please comment on their value (or lack thereof)-

V8
Grape juice
Orange juice
Grapefruit juice
Cranberry cocktail
Milk (2%, fat-free, and chocolate)

Which of these are better choices than the others, and how much is too much to boost calories using these options?

Teufelhund
08-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Milk. Its got protein, and unless you're deficient in some vitamin or other, the juices are pretty much just like drinking a coke or kool-aid.

Eszekial
08-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Fructose is one of the least favored sugars (found in fruit juice) due to it's (forgive me if i'm wrong) odd digestion process. Finds it's way to the blood stream faster (again, please correct me if i'm wrong).

Most are not advocates of fructose. But perhaps somebody else could chime in with it's value regarding insulin spiking and perhaps it's usefullness in pre and post workout nutrition.

Slim Schaedle
08-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Fructose is one of the least favored sugars (found in fruit juice) due to it's (forgive me if i'm wrong) odd digestion process. Finds it's way to the blood stream faster (again, please correct me if i'm wrong).

Most are not advocates of fructose. But perhaps somebody else could chime in with it's value regarding insulin spiking and perhaps it's usefullness in pre and post workout nutrition.
Glucose formation from fructose does not find it's way into the bloodstream (outsde of liver)

No insulin needed.

No benefit post workout. (some will say it's usefull to fill liver glycogen but glucose does this better)

Slim Schaedle
08-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I did a quick search... so I'm sorry if this has been answered 100,000 times in the past:

I'm working on figuring out how to bulk, and I'm wondering if adding some juice into my diet for the added calories is OK. My work provides free beverages, which is super nice, and I figured maybe I could drink some of my calories since I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get them all in!

Some free options at my work, please comment on their value (or lack thereof)-

V8
Grape juice
Orange juice
Grapefruit juice
Cranberry cocktail
Milk (2%, fat-free, and chocolate)

Which of these are better choices than the others, and how much is too much to boost calories using these options?
Choose milk, but not the chocolate

time2grown06
08-11-2006, 01:22 PM
definetly drink the V8 juice. Just a small 8 oz. glass= 2 servings of vegetables

Unreal
08-11-2006, 01:33 PM
2% or fatfree milk, and as much as you need to hit your caloric goals for the day.

mikej
08-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Choose milk, but not the chocolate

Milk, eh? I've heard that milk sugars dissolve super slow, which is a better choice.

I know I've got to EAT, and I'm sure trying to... and I'm wondering how much help from milk is OK. If I'm starting at 3,500 cals for the first couple of weeks, just to see how I react to it, what % of that coming from milk is OK?

BTW- Just had my first giant lunch, and I'm super stuffed. <sigh> And I thought eating a lot was going to be fun!

Teufelhund
08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Nope! eating is the hardest part bro.

mikej
08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
as much as you need to hit your caloric goals for the day.

So closing the gap with milk is OK? Does the size of the gap matter?

THANK YOU all for your help.

Unreal
08-11-2006, 01:51 PM
As much as you need. Milk is good. Several people take in a gallon a day. Nothing wrong with 1000+ cals from milk. If you can't get 2000 cals from normal food and the rest from free milk, then you must have the stomach of a 4 year old girl.

ShockBoxer
08-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Or a pre-existing stomach condition. Sigh.

Teufelhund
08-11-2006, 01:55 PM
yeah. lactose intolerance bites.

mikej
08-11-2006, 02:11 PM
As much as you need. Milk is good. Several people take in a gallon a day. Nothing wrong with 1000+ cals from milk. If you can't get 2000 cals from normal food and the rest from free milk, then you must have the stomach of a 4 year old girl.

I have a 4 year old cousin... and she can power down the milk.

There is as much free fat-free milk as I can drink here at work... I'm STOKED that's an OK supplement for calories. Hopefully I don't turn out to be lactose intolerant!

I think I can EAT about 3,000 calories a day OK (counting shakes)... so I'll drink the rest in free work milk. :)

mikej
08-11-2006, 04:06 PM
...which at only 80 calories a half-pint means drinking like 3 pints of the stuff a day. I guess I can handle that. Sounds like a lot right now though, I'm so full!

RedSpikeyThing
08-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Milk and V8, hands down. I don't think V8 is sweetend, so it's like drinking a salad.

I wish I got free milk at work, that's be awsome!