PDA

View Full Version : Stretching for BJJ/Kickboxing

KingJustin
08-12-2006, 05:26 PM
My flexibility needs to be improved drastically.

I'm trying to start stretching a little after I lift, but usually I fail to do this. I had planned instead to stretch for awhile before I go to bed. I figured I'd go to my room and trick my roommates into thinking I'm jacking off, then do some kind of warm-up (jumping jacks? is that enough or should I do something else?) and stretch. But, what stretches should I be doing and how long should I hold the stretches for, etc? Thanks.

Maki Riddington
08-12-2006, 05:36 PM
I'd keep it simple.

Do some mobility work for about 5-10 minutes straight. Use a foam roller to release any tight areas and then start doing some gentle static stretches on the areas you need to focus on.

For me it's the glutes and TFL. I have a very difficult time getting into the proper position to do a triangle choke.

You can play around with other stretching methods but this is the easiest approach which is still very effective if applied on a regular basis.

Detard
08-12-2006, 11:29 PM
i usually just stretch my hammies and my hip flexors, keep it simple, do what feels good. i usually hold for about 10 seconds or so

Chubrock
08-13-2006, 07:05 AM
If you're willing to spend a little money, you should pick up Steve Maxwell's Joint Mobility DVD. Very well worth the money, IMO.

offhegoes03
08-13-2006, 07:43 AM
I figured I'd go to my room and trick my roommates into thinking I'm jacking off, then do some kind of warm-up (jumping jacks? is that enough or should I do something else?) and stretch. But, what stretches should I be doing and how long should I hold the stretches for, etc? Thanks.

wait, did nobody else catch this? ha, why would you need to do that just to stretch? anyways, stretching before working out usually isn't a great idea because you lose strength that way. I think the best thing before workouts is dynamic stretching. Basically warming up with lighter weight. Stretching afterwards is alright and I've even heard it can be beneficial.

KingJustin
08-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Yeah I was joking...

And yeah I know static stretching before working out is teh suck. I'd static stretch after but I usually am too worn out and just want to go home or something.

I think I might pick up that DVD..

russianwol
08-14-2006, 07:39 AM
You should check this out - http://www.stretching.info

Tomas Kurz got some awesome info on stretching