PDA

View Full Version : Odd question about swordsmanship

Kenshi
08-13-2006, 01:19 AM
I was wondering, but does anyone have any ideas for improving the yang strength of one's swordsmanship?

Essentially, what exercises/programs could help with that partciular brand of martial art?

Maybe a kendoka out there has something that they could tell me?

Just wondering, since I have never really seen anything for it. But then again, even in Kendo you are never striking you opponent hard,a dn parrying/diverting can be done in a pretty Yin spirit with little physical strength involved.

Just wondering.

emceepal
08-13-2006, 06:52 AM
you need pretty good forearm strength for swordsmanship

Dinosaur
08-13-2006, 08:36 AM
I take it you mean hitting hard with a sword? Do you do Chinese swordsmanship, as yin and yang are Chinese terms.

Speaking from my own experience (did a little Japanese swordsmanship and dabble in a little European now), the best way to improve the power of your strikes is just by working on technique. Once you have the proper mechanics down, you're going to hit hard. It's just the way it is.

noahfor123
08-14-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I just have to ask. Who would win in a sword fight, a samurai or a fencer?

Kenshi
08-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Thank you for the replys.

The style of swordsmanship I meant was japanese Kenjutsu/Kendo.

I also train in an art with heavy Chinese influence, so I tend to use my Poalrity terms for the wrong culture without thinking about it.

Basically yeah, I was wondering how one would train in such a way off the tatami to increase the force of their blows. General strength-training came to mind of course, but the more specifc tweaks to fit the sport evaded me.

Again, thanks much.

Also, concerning as who would win in a duel between a Fencer and a Samurai, that's a toughie.

One thing though you could look at, is whether we are talking about modern day fencing or medieval European Swordsmanship. If it's modern day fencing, in the tournament the Fencer will win, but if it just a straight confrontation the kenjutsu practioner would most likely whoop the Fencer pretty bad.

Mostly because, the asian sword arts were never killed off by the gun; the European ones were. Modern fencing is a sport, not the combat art it once was since the sword was severely neglected after they started stick little pellets in tubes with lots O' boom-boom powder.

So, modern-day fencers, while certianly skilled in their own rights, lack the proper training/understanding to apply their techniques in a lethal format.

Kenjutsu however, is still very much the death-dealing sword it was way back when, it's just I would imagine that few practioners have been in any real duels lately. But still, point is they know how to kill and have been trained on how to kill with a blade.

So again, as always, it's a toss-up.

Still though, on a personal note, my money rests on the Samurai. Mostly because I'm biased though.

noahfor123
08-14-2006, 10:59 PM
What about a samurai vs. a medieval european swordsman?

Dinosaur
08-14-2006, 11:26 PM
http://www.thearma.org/essays/knightvs.htm

Good article.

manowar669
08-15-2006, 05:44 AM
Kenshi,
I agree with you that modern fencing is not combat. Fencing WAS combat training, but it's devolved into a collegiate sport. My Sol trains as a western martial art. Having practiced kenjutsu for a number of years, then training in western swordsmanship, I must say that the western form is MUCH more effective. Even an intermediate "fencer" with a rapier will absolutely dominate a Japanese-style fighter. Hollywood has built-up the samurai as an unbeatable swordsman, but it just isn't so. You must remember that historically the Japanese forms evolved in a vaccuum. They never fought anyone but themselves. Samurai vs. Samurai. They never even developed the shield. The few times that the Japanese fought anyone else, they lost. They'd be chinese now if it wasn't for bad storms destroying the chinese fleets. I'm not taking anything away from the japanese, as I love their feudal history and way of life. Also, the Katana is perhaps the most efficient close combat weapon ever developed, certainly the most beautiful.