PDA

View Full Version : Smith Machine Bench Throws.

Clifford Gillmore
08-13-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm looking to use this as DE workout, but I've no idea on percentages I should be using - Or if I should even bother!

I was thinking of something along the times of;

Week 1; 30% x 3
Week 3; 35% x 3
Week 7; 40% x 2/3

?

Sensei
08-16-2006, 11:46 PM
I've never been a fan of bench throws, but to be honest, I haven't really given them a fair try in training....

Here's an article by Kenny Croxdale about plyometric bench press training. It was in PLUSA a few years back. http://www.strengthcats.com/plyobenchpress.htm

I could probably dig up some more things at the Innosport site and others. Let me know if you're interested.

WillKuenzel
08-17-2006, 05:40 AM
I might throw them in as just an accessory lift but I don't think their effective enough to base a workout around.

You might get better results with different types of pushups and its a little safer.

I still prefer straight weight 60% of 1RM for DE work. Unless I'm using bands. The outline for Westside is 60% for beginners, 55% for intermediate, and 50% for advanced. I do some other dynamic work but just doing the exercise itself seems to be about the best for the majority of my DE stuff.

Clifford Gillmore
08-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Well, I did the session ending up with around 45% triples. It feels more like decelleration training more than explosive work, but it did help me convince me to tuck my elbows on the launch (which I've been trying to do for a while).

Sensei - I'm always interested in ANY kind of decent information.
Homey - 60% sounds much better, but I cannot be as explosive with that amount.. :/

WillKuenzel
08-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Homey - 60% sounds much better, but I cannot be as explosive with that amount.. :/
I didn't mean for bench throws, though. Just for regular flat bench. If you can't be explosive for 60% then you have some work to do. Getting explosive at any percentage is ideal. The reason 60% is recommended for most is that its a tough weight. Its enough to make you work and work hard. If you did less weight, then there's the possibility that you're not putting all your strength into every rep.

droman
08-17-2006, 09:06 PM
this will definetly increase your power. yeah your reps are right. I think there was an article on this on bodybuilding.com with adam archelta the football player and kelly baggett.